Metallica

I can also agree with most of the comments here.
However, I think it's stronger than Hardwired. Or at least it seems after 2 or 3 listens. The songs are a bit of samey, but I think with a couple of more listens, some of them with grow more, some of them will fade out.
What I miss on last two records it "bite". I mean, if songs can slap they can bite, right?

Take for an example "All Nightmare Long". Now that songs bite. Now look at "Spit Out the Bone". It's aggressive but it sounds like it was written by AI, it's just missing that "oomph" factor. Same with a couple of songs here. They have the teeth but they don't bite.

Also, I've read this interview with James a couple of days prior the album release. It's a bit lengthy but definitely worth reading.
LINK
TBH, reading it made my expectation rose a bit higher. Bah.

This no-repeat-weekend and stage in the middle of the stadium really made me thinking I should see them live again. There were a couple of dates in 2024 that I eyeballed for some time. And then I saw the video from opening nights in Amsterdam....

Boy, they didn't pull it off. At least to me. Or it may be that it's quite a different feeling witnessing it live (I'm sure it is) but it just looks like a lackluster adventure.
That stage is horrible, and even worse it that they tried to "decorate" rest of the field with screen that are both far away and much higher than the stage. I mean, the only place worth being in that stadium seems that pit in the center of the stage, but I'm not paying 1000 euros for ticket. I can't believe I'm going to write this but here it is: U2's idea from 2009 was executed 10 times better.

And the setlists: Sure hearing 32 songs on 2 gigs is a great idea and I welcomed it with both arms wide open, but damn... It's executed so badly. There's gems on both night, but the dynamic is just awfull. I can't put my finger on it, but if I had to compare it to something, I'm going to use LOTB '18 and LOTB '22 setlist. Mostly same songs, but completely different feeling.

I can't think of any album ever recorded in the history of humanity that isn't better than St Anger.
Say wha?*

3disu1992fq41.jpg

Boy, they didn't pull it off. At least to me. Or it may be that it's quite a different feeling witnessing it live (I'm sure it is) but it just looks like a lackluster adventure.
That stage is horrible, and even worse it that they tried to "decorate" rest of the field with screen that are both far away and much higher than the stage. I mean, the only place worth being in that stadium seems that pit in the center of the stage, but I'm not paying 1000 euros for ticket. I can't believe I'm going to write this but here it is: U2's idea from 2009 was executed 10 times better.
Apparently the sightlines from the pit are pretty bad. Also, it sounded like the band was having trouble starting songs on occasion considering how big that stage is. A couple of visual cues/signals between each other got missed.

Apparently the sightlines from the pit are pretty bad. Also, it sounded like the band was having trouble starting songs on occasion considering how big that stage is. A couple of visual cues/signals between each other got missed.
Makes me glad my ticket to see them isn't until next year, as all the issues will be worked out by then.

It's an awful big stage for 4 people. Don't really care for stadium show regardless, the sound can be so bad

He's right, although, the last song does not suffer being 11 min long.

Last edited:
It's an awful big stage for 4 people. Don't really care for stadium show regardless, the sound can be so bad
I was counting on that, so I can't believe they left the stage so bare. I mean, it's a cool thought, but the execution is just awful.
I saw Metallica in '09 where they did arenas with Death Magnetic with also center stage. But the feeling was different. At least Lars' kit was rotated every couple of songs, and the stage wasn't even that big, so James could be at each side for each verse (it happened during Master). This, on the stadium, is just... Here, I'm repeating myself and I know U2 is miles above considering finances and production, but here's how it's done:
12092144503_59fc9bd6c0_b.jpg

I was counting on that, so I can't believe they left the stage so bare. I mean, it's a cool thought, but the execution is just awful.
I saw Metallica in '09 where they did arenas with Death Magnetic with also center stage. But the feeling was different. At least Lars' kit was rotated every couple of songs, and the stage wasn't even that big, so James could be at each side for each verse (it happened during Master). This, on the stadium, is just... Here, I'm repeating myself and I know U2 is miles above considering finances and production, but here's how it's done:
I saw the Death Magnetic tour too "in the round". But it was indoors in a hockey arena, so the sound was fine. When Metallica last played in my city it was in the new football (american) arena, indoors but huge. I was told the sound is complete shite there for concerts.

Simply-Recipes-Unicorn-Cake-Lead-1-30eccf41bba749958631c1a011317d81.jpg

To this day, I'm still surprised the Black Album anniversary tour never came to the states (outside of the one festival appearance.)
It's super weird. Seems like easy money for them.

However, The Black Album was pretty well represented all U.S. tours with at the very least Sandman, Sad But True, and Nothing Else Matters being played at almost every show and occasionally Roam or Unforgiven.

Given their age, though, I wouldn't be shocked if we see a weird 35th/40th anniversary tour of the same thing down the line. That material will be easier for them to duplicate in their later years.

Back