Metallica

Death Magnetic received high praise from critics. I think it would have been a fantastic album with better production and better polishing of songs. Still very good as it is. All Nightmare Long is up there with their very best and there are a couple of really good tracks on it.

I thought Death Magnetic was good. They even dared to play quite a few of the songs on tour. I think on the St Anger tour they bare played any songs from that album live.

I've been on a Metallica discography run leading up to the release. Just completed Load and Reload. I would've loved to see them channel that Black Album/Load spirit on this album. Loads featured a lot of fillers, but there are some damn cool tunes on there.

After the riff frenzy of DM, a record with a more hard rock/heavy metal edge and tighter songwriting would be nice.

Moth into Flame was so much better. Atlas Rise is pretty standard. Nothing really memorable. It's not completely forgettable because it has some similarities to Maiden. The riff at 4:45 it's almost the same as the one at 2:34 in Hallowed be Thy Name. I hope the rest of the album is more in the vein of Moth Into Flame, I'm not holding my breath though.

That midsection is definitely the highlight of Atlas, Rise. After listening to all three again Moth Into Flame is by far the best and most memorable :)

After the riff frenzy of DM, a record with a more hard rock/heavy metal edge and tighter songwriting would be nice.

Been a while since I've listened to Death Magnetic but structure wise the three new songs we've heard so far seems way more focused around tighter songwriting and ideas. It's a bit more back to basics than DM seemed to be...Even though the songs are still around 6-7 min long they're not "all over the place" like some of the DM stuff.

I might even buy this album. Man, I don't think I've bought a Metallica album in this century yet.

Hardwired, the song, is a throw away IMO. Won't listen to this one much in the future I'm sure. Moth is really good. Atlas has some good moments. I'm positive so far...but not convinced yet :D

Been a while since I've listened to Death Magnetic but structure wise the three new songs we've heard so far seems way more focused around tighter songwriting and ideas. It's a bit more back to basics than DM seemed to be...Even though the songs are still around 6-7 min long they're not "all over the place" like some of the DM stuff.

Yeah the intention to write tighter songs is there. The inspired riffs aren't though. (Except for Moth)

No, totally agree and Moth is the best of the three by far. At least now they're sticking to a few main riffs per song...Just hope there's more memorable and original riffs on the album and that it will actually result in some good songs :D

Last edited:
Vocally, this album might become the best they've done in years. There's so much more melody in their songs.

Back