Metallica

I don't like that chorus nor do I think it contains good melody. All of this is snoozefest dialed up to eleven.

No, not particularly. I liked All Nightmare Long and Broken, Beat & Scarred but the rest...ehn. Also, HURDEEDUR, the fourth song on a Metallica album is almost always the one that starts with a calm intro section that eventually grows into a heavy thing at the end and The Day That Never Comes is no different.

I don't like Kill 'Em All that much, I LOVE Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets is also good. Justice is my second favourite. S/T is okay, I guess. Load and Reload should have been one album. St Anger is...not something I'd call good, let's leave it at that.

I am not the biggest Metallica fan, although I do like quite a number of their songs.

I don't like Kill 'Em All that much, I LOVE Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets is also good. Justice is my second favourite. S/T is okay, I guess. Load and Reload should have been one album. St Anger is...not something I'd call good, let's leave it at that.

I am not the biggest Metallica fan, although I do like quite a number of their songs.

Well, IMO Moth Into Flame is probably the most "Black Album" track they've done since then....With a bit of sound tweaking I could see it be on that album :D It's catchy and heavy at the same time.

I'm personally a little tired of the "rough and raw" approach that the band has been fixated on...that touch of reverb on MOP is what made it such a good sounding album IMHO
I'm not sure about the sound of MOP, the songs in particular are fantastic, even with bad sound they would still be great.

Kill em all, doesn't have great sound but that is a great album none the less.

Ride the Lightening has some good songs,

And Justice is tiresome, The black album is good for people that are more into hard rock than metal, perhaps a bridge for those people towards metal. The rest of Metallica's albums aren't really worth much mention.

The second half of the chorus is more in line with Metallica's usual style, to me, but a few other aspects of the song aren't so typically Metallica.The first part of the chorus (or is it pre-chorus?), the 'Sold Your Soul' bit, isn't what I think of as typical Metallica at all, I can't put my finger on what band or bands it reminds me of. The brief guitar melody prior to the chorus is Maidenesque.

I'm on the fence about Metallica as ever. There are songs I like a lot - this is one of them, probably because of the addition of the elements I mentioned earlier. When Metallica is doing relentless verse after verse dedicated to political/social comment with little variation in vocal melody, I eventually switch off.

I'm totally hyped for this album! Foro, I bought ReLoad in 1998 so it will be incredible 18 years between album purchases. And the CD shop is still there, my usual choice :)
I still like Moth Into Flame more, overall, but Atlas Rise has incredible choruses and instrumental parts. The whole song is like a tribute to British metal, it starts of kinda purplesque, verse riff is Judas Priest and the chorus/instrumental culmination pure early days Iron Maiden.

Atlas has grown on me. I'm on the fence for moth. Still not into hardwired. I'm willing to give it a chance though.

Though if the band released this back in 1995, I probably would have been giddy as a schoolboy.

I think all three songs that have been released are reasonably acceptable, none of them is a classic though. Hard Wired comes in at a crisp 3 mins and change, but Moth and Atlas both seem a little bloated, a minute or two longer than they needed to be. They could have benefited from more rigorous editing/trimming. (Maiden has been guilty of this too, frankly.) Each could have been 3-4 mins long and not have suffered one bit, probably benefited. Moth is my favorite of the three songs so far, it has a couple very good musical ideas (including the chorus), but it is stretched to 6 minutes unnecessarily.

I think Kirk Hammett would be better off working on more melodic and musical solos, which he does pretty well, rather than trying to play super-fast solos, which he does poorly. In other words, try to emulate Adrian Smith, not Dave Murray.

Adrian Smith, as in off-time phrasing, incredibly clean sweep picking, monster vibrato, and one of the best compositions and tonal control in whole of hard rock?

Uh oh.

But generally I agree with Cornfed that Hammet is trying to emulate Dave Murray, often. Badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Smith, as in off-time phrasing, incredibly clean sweep picking, monster vibrato, and one of the best compositions and tonal control in whole of hard rock?

Uh oh.
I'm genuinely quite confused. Are you criticising H, Kirk, or Cornfed's opinion? :huh:
But generally I agree with Cornfed that Hammet is trying to emulate Dave Murray, often. Badly.
I actually think it's like he's trying to emulate himself. And doing that badly.

Back