Orion
Fade to Black
One

I can only get to 5.
The rest of MOP is pretty good.
RTL is OK, production is horrible
KEA is OK, production is horrible
AJFA drags on mostly

The other albums aren't worth mentioning.

12 minutes is immediately in this context I think, well done! :ok:

12 minutes is a very short time when you get to our age!

muppets-muppet-show.gif

The story of Metallica's abandoned record. :)

Thanks for the link.

Regardless of how “bad” the band and friends thought these lost songs were, I have a hard time believing that they were worse than the disaster that is St. Anger. Kirk saying that they were “melodic” is the icing on the cake.

Also, while Lars always looks irritating, his face in that pic is particularly punchable.

Metallica's first four are impeccable. No contest here.
I'm not a big fan of Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning is a lesser version of MOP to my ears. They're still great albums. But yea, Megadeth's first four are ridiculously good. Gar's drumming, especially on their debut, is out of this world.

I'm not a big fan of Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning is a lesser version of MOP to my ears. They're still great albums. But yea, Megadeth's first four are ridiculously good. Gar's drumming, especially on their debut, is out of this world.
To my taste Megadeth became great only on Rust In Piece and Countdown. Prior to that - not so much, chaotic song structures etc. / not my cup of tea.
Kill Em All is just sheer speed metal fun to my ears. Regarding RTL, not so long ago I decided that I like Ride the Lightning more than Master of Puppets. To my ears first four Metallica's albums are very well thought out. Almost like some metalized classical music. No flaws only youthful greatness.

I have never said this of any other band I love, but I really wish they'd stop releasing new original material and just make another Garage, Inc every 4-5 years. Their covers are better.
Can we get an official sane mastering of Death Magnetic in there somewhere, too…?

EDIT: Well, shit, I guess this exists. Is the FLAC-HD version of the “Mastered For iTunes” edition worth it at $18? I’m wondering if this might wind up being like the Rush Vapor Trails HD remaster, which was revelatory…

Last edited:
They could legitimately release this recording. The sound is absolutely great for a live recording.

I have never said this of any other band I love, but I really wish they'd stop releasing new original material and just make another Garage, Inc every 4-5 years. Their covers are better.

I'd take both: new original material every 5 years and cover albums in between new material studio releases.

Well, shit, I guess this exists. Is the FLAC-HD version of the “Mastered For iTunes” edition worth it at $18? I’m wondering if this might wind up being like the Rush Vapor Trails HD remaster, which was revelatory…
I took the plunge, and while it’s still a harsh-sounding album in general, there’s no more clipping and it’s entirely listenable now. I think it was worth the upgrade to HD-FLAC from the unconscionable original CD master.

Would the vinyl of Death Magnets be better mastered/no clipping than the CD, just due to the medium? Because if so, it's also probably possible to find a FLAC vinyl rip somewhere.

Would the vinyl of Death Magnets be better mastered/no clipping than the CD
Probably, but I’m really sensitive to tempo warbling and the hissy and poppy bullshit that vinyl produces. A non-horribly mastered hi res digital source is always going to sound better.

Back