Metallica

2) For Whom The Bells Toll
I did a double-take and thought this was a K.K.'s Metallica song for a second!

Actually, here's your list if K.K.'s Metallica did it:

1) More Masters, More Puppets
2) For Whom The Bells Toll
3) Return Of The Sandman
4) Welcome Home Again (Still A Sanitarium)
5) Even More Blackened
6) Two
7) Really Sad But Possibly False
8) Maybe One Other Thing Matters
9) Whiplash 2: Chiropractic Boogaloo
10) Holiest Of Ye

Ni03MDcxLmpwZWc.jpeg

K.K.s Metallica?

I mean, Dave Mustaine already did that joke and has run with it for 40 years.
Metallica's vibe is macho.
Megadeth's vibe is musical and guitar virtuistic.

They are very different bands, and different styles of music
Megadeth do thrash metal. I'm not quite sure what subgenre that Metallica belong to. It's certainly not thrash, they did thrash over 30 years ago, but not since.

Personally I really love most of what Megadeth do. I like very little of what Metallica do. Metallica haven't really put out anything good for over 30 years.

Reactions: Yax
81eb892270bf4c001c381a90193838ef025dbc9b1ed961749164bad60ebb106b_1.jpg

:p

In all seriousness though, the motivation behind the creation of Megadeth and KK's Priest... Well, KK and Dave have some things in common.

In all seriousness though, the motivation behind the creation of Megadeth and KK's Priest... Well, KK and Dave have some things in common.
Dave Mustaine is a musician, a composer, a guitarist. What was he supposed to do when he left Metallica? Retire?

I really don't get what you are insinuating.
Dave did his thing, his music. He was very driven to be commercially successful and was very aware of Metallica's commercial success (which is natural because he was part of that band at one stage).
But to try and claim that Megadeth is just a shadow wanna be Metallica clone, is very degrading of the glory of Megadeth. I don't even see why you would want to try and do that.
Megadeth does not sound like Metallica, they are both Metal. But that's about it.

Dave's resentment has played a large part in Megadeth. The band was formed because Dave was ousted from Megadeth, and his personal vendetta was a driving force. Junior has literally said the revanchism wouldn't really allow the other members to be fans of Metallica. Most talking points in interviews with Dave that touched upon Metallica reeked of said resentment up until the Big 4 thing.

KK is bitter, and formed KK's Priest in no small part as a middle finger to Priest since they do not want him back and he slams them non-stop. The parallells in that regard are quite clear.

And again:
Reddit.PNG

Last edited:
Dave's resentment has played a large part in Megadeth. The band was formed because Dave was ousted from Megadeth and most talking points in interviews with Dave that touched upon Metallica reeked of said resentment up until the Big 4 thing.

KK is bitter, and formed KK's Priest in no small part as a middle finger to Priest since they do not want him back and he slams them non-stop. The parallells in that regard are quite clear.
I'll agree that Dave resented being kicked out of Metallica, but I don't think that Megadeth is a parody, clone or middle finger to Metallica.
I feel that Dave is very silly to be jealous of Metallica but then again I don't share his personality type. He craves attention and adoration, which is what Metallica has more than Megadeth.

I do perhaps think that Dave was really driven to produce great music, and seems he was craving the mainstream appeal that Metallica got with the Black album. Hence Dave tried that pattern with more melodic music in Youthanasia and less thrash in Cryptic Writings and Risk. All of which are far better than the Black album.
But in no way was it a clone or middle finger to Metallica.
Megadeth in its own right is a great band and really shouldn't be compared to or seen as a derivative of Metallica.

But in no way was it a clone or middle finger to Metallica.
"My measure of success was if I ate that day or not, and my vision was destroy @Metallica and stop living in a van. Good thing I got over my animosity for leaving the band. I’m glad we reconciled... where’s the Big 4 shows???"

- Dave Mustaine on Twitter.

Guess that settles that part of the argument.

To make it clear beyond a shred of a doubt, is that I never made the argument that Megadeth is musically derived from Metallica (although Dave has also been quoted as to how Megadeth intentionally played faster than specifically Metallica, so in that sense Megadeth were influenced by Metallica). I made a joke about KK's and Dave's respective resentment over their former bands; anything beyond is essentially a straw interpretation of that. I am a fan of both bands and enjoy each on their respective merits.

Last edited:
"My measure of success was if I ate that day or not, and my vision was destroy @Metallica and stop living in a van. Good thing I got over my animosity for leaving the band. I’m glad we reconciled... where’s the Big 4 shows???"

- Dave Mustaine on Twitter.

Guess that settles that part of the argument.

To make it clear beyond a shred of a doubt, is that I never made the argument that Megadeth is musically derived from Metallica (although Dave has also been quoted as to how Megadeth intentionally played faster than specifically Metallica, so in that sense Megadeth were influenced by Metallica). I made a joke about KK's and Dave's respective resentment over their former bands; anything beyond is essentially a straw interpretation of that. I am a fan of both bands and enjoy each on their respective merits.
OK, I didn't understand your initial comment. I'll agree that Dave was upset and had much resentment for decades about being kicked from Metallica. His Mechanix song was indeed quicker than the Four Horsemen. Thankfully Dave got beyond the whole desire to be quicker.
Metallica too wanted to be the quickest and the loudest, up until James had many conversations with Bob Rock and then gave up on the whole idea of being in a thrash band.

gee-thanks-vjamyl.jpg

:D

I wanted a giphy meme from The Office, but my initial attempt didn't work, so I reverted to a traditional still image.

Top 10, not ranked

The Four Horsemen
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Creeping Death
Fade to Black
The Call of Ktulu
Master of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
And Justice For All
Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters

Back