Metallica

Also, Kirk sucks, and he's sucked ever since he officially married his wah pedal circa 1991. It sounds like he just improvises his way through each solo and keeps the first take. Embarrassing.
He’s sucked since 1984. There are the odd good solos here and there (“Ride the Lightning”, “One”, “The Unforgiven”) and solid, passable solos elsewhere, but most of his shit is just wanking about without even a care for the song he’s playing on top of. Kill ‘Em All is the only album where the guitar solos are straight fire on every single song. How he gets heralded as one of the greatest guitarists is beyond me.

And actually 72 Seasons had better solos than Hardwired. Still disappointing, but at least there’s some reason to them.

How @GhostofCain can like this shit and not the six solo spectacle of “The Parchment” is beyond me.

IMO Kirk's solos were mostly really good until Death Magnetic. On Justice and TBA his solos totally slap, him being no good after 1984 is a bit of a cruel take. On Load and Reload Kirk was probably the weakest link but there are still some really nice solos in at least The Outlaw Torn and Devil's Dance.

IMO Kirk's solos were mostly really good until Death Magnetic. On Justice and TBA his solos totally slap, him being no good after 1984 is a bit of a cruel take. On Load and Reload Kirk was probably the weakest link but there are still some really nice solos in at least The Outlaw Torn and Devil's Dance.
He certainly has no place being discussed alongside virtuosos or other greats, but his melodic phrasing used to be very good. He became iconic for a reason, especially compared to the lead guitarists from two of the other Big Four (not counting Megadeth since most of their lead guitarists can shred circles around Kirk from any era).

His phrasing used to be good because he actually composed solos, something he now vehemently dislikes doing because it doesn't "feel" right. He has found a methodology and believe system (and a band full of enablers) that perfectly align with his laziness.

I have tried to appreciate Kirk but I do not hear what people rave about. Sure, he used to be more composed, but his solos often seem to pop right out of the framework of the song itself, instead of adding to it. Even the outro to “Fade to Black” is far from what I would consider a great solo. It’s merely ‘alright’.

Have done a 2nd run through. It's not terrible, it just really doesn't do anything for me. There's really nothing here to make me want to go back to again and again. Title track would be what I would call the best song. Someone mentioned Lars' "sleigh bells" and now I can't unhear it, just awful. Glad I chose to listen to it on Spotify and not buy the CD this time.

Joking aside, Iron Maiden are arguably the best metal band of all time (this is the Maidenfans forum after all :D) but Metallica are definitely the biggest, much to Bruised (ego) Dickinson’s dismay.

I'm divided between Maiden and Sabbath. I like Maiden more and I am attached to them unlike any other band all genres included but Sabbath had a greater influence and impact in R'n'R. Also greater musical variety all in all, i.e. piano, harmonica etc used very early on in their songs.

Re: Kirk,

He's not great, but I prefer to listen to guys like him that have an identifiable sound and style.

Neither Kirk nor this guy are correct in their arguments but the truth lies a lot closer to what Kirk says. Your man's solo was obviously more tehcnically proficient than anything Kirk has done in years but it was atrocious, just a load of techniques arranged in a paint by numbers style exactly where everything is expected to go with no regards for the vibe of the song, i.e. retro NWOBHM when a lot of these tricks and techniques would not have been around. The guy even admits that's exactly what the solo was in his video and sees that as a virtue. These bedroom guitarists need to spend a bit more time on originality, and Kirk is spot on, if everyone else is doing some technique, sweeping in his example, then that is exactly the technique you should be avoiding if you want to sound like an individual.

Re: Kirk,

He's not great, but I prefer to listen to guys like him that have an identifiable sound and style.

Neither Kirk nor this guy are correct in their arguments but the truth lies a lot closer to what Kirk says. Your man's solo was obviously more tehcnically proficient than anything Kirk has done in years but it was atrocious, just a load of techniques arranged in a paint by numbers style exactly where everything is expected to go with no regards for the vibe of the song, i.e. retro NWOBHM when a lot of these tricks and techniques would not have been around. The guy even admits that's exactly what the solo was in his video and sees that as a virtue. These bedroom guitarists need to spend a bit more time on originality, and Kirk is spot on, if everyone else is doing some technique, sweeping in his example, then that is exactly the technique you should be avoiding if you want to sound like an individual.

You hit the nail right on the head mate.

Another example of this is Ozzy Osbourne. Very limited singer from a technical point of view, yet oozing (no pun intended) personality and being an integral part of some of the best metal albums ever recorded.

Poor girl!

Joking aside, Iron Maiden are arguably the best metal band of all time (this is the Maidenfans forum after all :D) but Metallica are definitely the biggest, much to Bruised (ego) Dickinson’s dismay.
This I agree with - Maiden the best, Metallica the biggest :bigsmile:

I think this reviewer is spot on:

I still remember this great review he published a few years ago:

The guy clearly knows his stuff.

Back