Metallica

Not sure what you consider “recent” but BNW & AMOLAD are also in the masterpiece category, including production.

If we consider the last two, Senjutsu production is terrible but Book of Souls is great and in par with 80s if not better for some cases imho.
I also prefer Book of Souls, but the only reunion album that is produced as well as the 80s material is Brave New World.

Do they still play The Ecstasy Of Gold before the show? I can see how the instrumentals would be a good substitute for that to ramp up the crowd.
I know they did the first night before Orion as I saw a video on YouTube so it's safe to assume they will continue to do so. But you do know the instrumentals were the actual opening songs of the shows performed live by the band?

edit: simply asking because of the way you worded your statement.

Not sure what you consider “recent” but BNW & AMOLAD are also in the masterpiece category, including production.

If we consider the last two, Senjutsu production is terrible but Book of Souls is great and in par with 80s if not better for some cases imho.

Recent: last 15 years or so.

AMOLAD is in my Maiden top 5 and although I really like the production, I think it is not at the same level of Martin Birch’s 80s work.

Maiden will always be my favorite of all time, but man......How awesome would it be if Maiden would work their setlists like Metallica? And record every damn show and have available for sale if you want it?
Someone should make a thread about what if Maiden had a double setlist without overlapping songs. I doubt it will ever happen because they´ll always play Iron Maiden.

Maiden will always be my favorite of all time, but man......How awesome would it be if Maiden would work their setlists like Metallica? And record every damn show and have available for sale if you want it?

I was wondering the same all these years. But after a discussion I had with @Yax I realized that they may follow a particular sales model (and greed).

You see Maiden sales are based on loyalty thus they need to constantly release new compilations, lives, beers etc.
Metallica on the other hand they don’t need to do that they can still draw formidable numbers. So there you go.

Here is the mentioned discussion

https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/if-maiden-get-inducted-to-the-rnr-hof.72267/post-998213

Last edited:
I was wondering the same all these years. But after a discussion I had with @Yax I realized that they may follow a particular sales model (and greed).

You see Maiden sales are based on loyalty thus they need to constantly release new compilations, lives, beers etc.
Metallica on the other hand they don’t need to do that they can still draw formidable numbers. So there you go.
Not really following you here. Metallica have been recording all their concerts and releasing them as CDs for sale on their website for years. You can order the two Amsterdam shows right now.

It'll be the same idea of two different sets at every venue, but obviously we don't know yet how many different setlists they're gonna play during the entire tour.
Lars has made it a point to never repeat a setlist since 2003. The rest of the tour may have the same structure of the set, but generally there will be 3 or 4 slots in the set that will rotate about. Blackened and Damage, Inc. will likely be appearing in the slot Battery and Fight Fire are in. No Leaf Clover will take a ballad spot at some point. Memory Remains will surely get some play soon. Different songs from the new album will make an appearance at some point, but probably once they feel comfortable playing the current stuff.

Metallica's approach to setlists is pretty cool, and with Maiden it would be even more so, but I like that every tour has its own specific core of songs. It's strange, I know. Does Metallica really record every show? The same can be said about Maiden or not? Video footage. I know they put out a lot of pro-shot videos on YouTube - that's awesome and something other bands should learn from. I want to have a full show (or at least some songs) in a great quality from every Maiden tour.

Not really following you here. Metallica have been recording all their concerts and releasing them as CDs for sale on their website for years. You can order the two Amsterdam shows right now.

Yes this is different business model. You need bigger fanbase to do that. Also not sure if it’s financially sustainable even for Metallica to have professional recording set up for each show plus post processing.

Anyway, for Maiden’s releases the fans everywhere feel “obliged” to but the live release it wouldn’t be the case if they had 100 shows to choose from.

Also it explains why Metallica change their setlists, Maiden wouldn’t do that also for stage show logistics i.e. props timing and such things.

For Metallica I'm guessing the idea to record every show came after they started changing up their setlists every night. I've never bought one of them from their website so I'm not sure how much processing is done. My guess is they record straight off the soundboard and slap it on a CD.

I'm sure the vast majority of Metallica fans only purchased a couple or less of these CDs but I bet they also have a few fans who have bought numbers in the hundreds. I'm sure enough do to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

I think this could also be the case for Maiden. There are a lot of rabid Maiden fans and collectors out there. If Maiden did have different setlists every night they definitely would sell well. I shy away from bootlegs because of uneven sound quality but I could see myself buying a good number of CDs directly from the band this way.

Metallica's approach to setlists is pretty cool, and with Maiden it would be even more so, but I like that every tour has its own specific core of songs. It's strange, I know. Does Metallica really record every show? The same can be said about Maiden or not? Video footage. I know they put out a lot of pro-shot videos on YouTube - that's awesome and something other bands should learn from. I want to have a full show (or at least some songs) in a great quality from every Maiden tour.
Yes. They have been selling CDs of their shows for years now on their website. In fact, they breakdown every show in their tour section with facts like "this is the 15 time Metallica has played Tulsa, Oklahoma", "this is the first time since 1996 Metallica played this song live", etc. - stuff like that. They really catalog every show they do which I think is pretty cool. They have an amazing website I give them that.

I have a Nugs.net subscription where each of the shows gets uploaded to as well. Spent the better part of a seven-hour road trip stint listening to several shows of their European festival run last year.

They have an amazing website I give them that.

Metallica are next level when it comes to management /commercial acumen. It all comes down to being willing to change plus mindset as a band since the very start instead of one man’s band + Rod.
It hasn’t been always pretty (haircuts, St. Anger etc) but this is what change sometimes means.

I know they did the first night before Orion as I saw a video on YouTube so it's safe to assume they will continue to do so. But you do know the instrumentals were the actual opening songs of the shows performed live by the band?

edit: simply asking because of the way you worded your statement.
Yea, and that EOG was over the PA., but they are both instrumentals essentially. I could see how they could be used to build up excitement and then blast into the next song, especially with the right type of light and stage show.

The intros have been modified of each instrumental.

The bass drone/opening drum pattern for Orion is on a tape with a modified and extended intro with new instrumentation. The band starts playing right at the main guitar riff.

The clean elements of Ktulu's intro are part of a tape with - like Orion - a new synth-y programmed intro. The band starts right when the distorted guitars kick in.

Well it is impossible for Maiden to go on something like Metallica with setlist changes. Firstly, it is much easier to do it with a 4 piece than 6 piece band.

And Maiden band members are travelling separetly to shows, most probably they dont hang out too much together and with change of setlis as far I saw in Metallica vlogs, guys before every show play those new songs in a small rehearsal room at the venue.

There was one video about Metallica on tour where they show the day of the show. Guys are coming much earlier at the venue, rehearsal rotation song, then they are deciding what are they going to play. They are taking stats of the city where they play and try to dig some deep cuts for the cities where they often playing.

Their managment and marketing team is on next level than any other band, and band members are really hard working guys for making so much effort about setlist.

I am aware that Maiden cannot do that, but at least they can do some special shows. Like perfect scenario, after LOTB tour in December they could play 1 or 2 nights at Hammersmith with PPV live stream online. Playing full NOTB and other deep cuts. But ok, we have a new beer now, that is more than enough.

Back