Megadeth

I think he means that after several discussions with Mustaine to extend his absence and seeing the hard schedule for 2024 he says goodbye.

There's nothing about this on the Megadeth's site

Blabbermouth says this:

kiko's.png

I understand that statement that he was ready to return if the touring schedule was trimmed down, but those talks led nowhere (Daaaaave he waits for no maaaan), so he decided to step away, which is a shame, since, in my opinion, he revitalized the band.

Yeah, I see it as more of a language barrier or just odd choice of words. Surely Dave’s not going to wait around for him considering he’s got a new player about whom he continues to sing praises.

Dave released a statement... that is basically same as Kiko's.

In some parts it sounds like Kiko is gone, while in some parts sounds like Kiko is still in the band, but is taking an extended leave.

Kiko will definetly not return in 2024. Don’t know what happened at home, but something more important than his job happened. He have three young kids to take care of. So depending what it is, I think Kiko will not return unless he want to himself.

Well, Teemu will probably get the permanent job in 2025 if he want to.

Boy, Megadeth is my 2nd favourite band next only to maiden.

How would you rank their guitarists?
I'm including only the 'lead' guitarists. Hence, no Dave Mustaine, Greg Handevidt (played in Last Rites EP) or Kerry King and Teemu Maantysari (only performed live). But if you want, you may include them.

1. Marty Friedman
2. Kiko Loureiro
3. Chris Broderick
4. Chris Poland
5. Glenn Drover
6. Al Pitrelli
7. Jeff Young

Boy, Megadeth is my 2nd favourite band next only to maiden.

How would you rank their guitarists?
I'm including only the 'lead' guitarists. Hence, no Dave Mustaine, Greg Handevidt (played in Last Rites EP) or Kerry King and Teemu Maantysari (only performed live). But if you want, you may include them.

1. Marty Friedman
2. Kiko Loureiro
3. Chris Broderick
4. Chris Poland
5. Glenn Drover
6. Al Pitrelli
7. Jeff Young
I pretty much completely agree with your list. Good to see Broderick that high, he's often overlooked.

1. Marty Friedman
2. Glenn Drover
3. Kiko Loureiro
4. Chris Broderick
5. Al Pitrelli
6. Chris Poland
7. Jeff Young

1. Marty Friedman
2. Chris Poland
3. Chris Broderick
4. Kiko Loureiro
5. Jeff Young

100. Glenn Drover

1000. Al Pitrelli

All 5 of the guys at the top are amazing guitarists in their own right. Poland’s jazz-infused sound is incredibly unique and a fantastic complement to Mustaine’s spidery feel. Broderick is a superb technician and huge theory guy, and it showed in his playing (at least on Endgame). They all deserved to be there.

Drover was serviceable, but nothing more. Pitrelli was an embarrassment.

Last edited:
Pitrelli was an embarrassment.
This take makes me question your entire grip on music.

Pitrelli played on a shit album, sure, but he handled the role far better than the likes of Drover or Young. Hell, I’d take him over Broderick any day, too, because at least he has feel.

Pitrelli played on a shit album, sure, but he handled the role far better than the likes of Drover or Young. Hell, I’d take him over Broderick any day, too, because at least he has feel.

Also, his Dread and the Fugitive Mind solo is better than any non-Marty/Poland one

My ranking would probably be…

1. Marty
2. Poland
-
-
-
3. Kiko
4. Pitrelli
5. Broderick
-
-
-
-
-
79. Drover
1,007. Young

Also, his Dread and the Fugitive Mind solo is better than any non-Marty/Poland one
Absolutely. Pitrelli was a great player with stage presence and charisma, capable of interpreting all the classic solos in his own way while keeping all of the most recognizable bits intact. I also met him multiple times and he was probably the single most down to earth musician I’ve ever met.

Says the guy who thinks Cookie Monster vocals are a good thing and that Dio's worst schlock is better than everyone else's best work because...it's DIO? :ninja:

Pitrelli played on a shit album, sure
The shittiest album. By a very wide margin. Everything on there was boring and/or completely uninspired.

but he handled the role far better than the likes of Drover or Young. Hell, I’d take him over Broderick any day, too, because at least he has feel.
This take makes me question your entire grip on music. :ok:

Back