Maiden's Heaviest Song?

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns always struck me as being the heaviest song, it could have been Montségur if the chorus was different.

Maiden doesn't really have a traditional"the thing that should not be" or "into the Void" type of heavy song. Heavy for me is slow, low, and evil.

The Book of Souls (song) is a slab, I love the heavy eastern feel of the main riff. The midsection is pretty full on as well

The opening riff from Montsegur is for me the heaviest riff

The thing is, if you're looking for a heavy song it should keep the atmosphere heavy throughout. So Sea of Madness or Montsegur can't qualify.

I'd consider To Tame a Land as a dark and heavy song representing the mid tempo groove, the main verse riff is immense and the song is full of downpicks. This is possibly the heaviest Maiden song overall, even the fast part has darker mood with solos based on harmonic minor and solo intro riff has a minor to minor chord transition and this simple choice spices up the song a lot, and provides more of a heavy metal feeling to it than similarly paced solo tradeoff in Revelations, which is rock and roll excellence.

The Judgement Day I'd pick in the fast category. This song is all out. It's the most Megadeth-ish song, fast thrashy non-trivial riffs with long back-to back virtuoso speed solo section.

Heaviness is subject, but I think doom is the heaviest metal genre out there. Death and black metal might be heavy, but they're a little faster, whereas the heavier doom genres hold a lot of atmosphere and slowness that make you feel like you're being crushed. In other words, Ahab and Bell Witch are heavier than Cannibal Corpse and Amputated.

So with this in mind, I've come to the conclusion that The Book of Souls is Maiden's heaviest song. Granted, they haven't written a doom metal tune (yet!), but TBOS is long and slow(er than most of their work) and the guitars drive it into heavier places. Old Maiden was more metallic and melodic, newer Maiden is more rough around the edges and they've written heavier tunes now than they did back in the '80s.

Now, of the '80s tracks, I think Seventh Son of a Seventh Son might be their heaviest. Again, heaviness is subjective, and SSOASS is a very melodic work, with a lot of synth and such, but that synth and melody actually work to make it heavier than a lot of the other songs they released around that time.

Montsegur is probably their thrashiest song, but it suffers from poor production and thus doesn't qualify. Sad.

Montsegur has heavy intro, but the chorus ruins it.
But I agree with TXF and AMOLAD songs.
Montsegur rocks!!! Montsegur might be their heaviest along with Brighter than a Thousand Suns (both lyrical masterpices as well).

Brighter than a Thousand Suns
Trinity (not only the description of the Triune Godhead in Christianity).
Trinity was also the code name of the first detonation of a nuclear weapon.
It was conducted by the US Army on July 16, 1945, as part of the Manhattan Project.

Throughout History the selfishness of mankind find us 'playing the part' of a perverted 'evil god' by our own hands (deeming who shall live and who shall die). We see mankinds desire to control others (through fear). Hence Trinity Re-formed!!!

Shadow fingers rise above
Iron fingers stab the desert sky
Oh behold the power of the Earth.
Are your children ready for the fall?

Locking hands together well
Raze a city, build a living hell
Join the race to suicide
Listen for the tolling of the bell

Out of the the universe, a strange light is born
Unholy union, trinity reformed....

....Burying our morals and burying our dead
Burying our head in the sand
E equals MC squared, you can't relate
How we made God with our hands

Whatever would Robert have said to his God
About he made war with the Sun
E equals MC squared, you can't relate
How we made God with our hands

Not sure if my concept of "heavy" matches yours, anyway... The whole X-Factor album (maybe apart from Man on The Edge and 2AM), The Fallen Angel, Montsegur, Benjamin Breeg.

Back