Maiden's Heaviest Song?

Re: Maiden's Haviest Song?

Your username sounds pretty heavy!

I have to give this one a thought.

Re: Maiden's Haviest Song?

Cheers!  I always though Powerslave was quite heavy too, buy Be Quick or Be Dead is faster, so I'm sticking with that one ha ha!

"Heavy" is (to me) unrelated to speed. It's related to sound, production, and overall feel. Black Sabbath, for example, were always heaviest when they played slow songs like "Hand Of Doom".

I'm not saying heavy songs can't be fast; but it shouldn't be a criteria here, in my opinion.

Can't pick a single song at the moment, but I'd say AMOLAD is their heaviest album.

I've always thought that Maiden was more based on melodies than heavy riffing, but I guess songs like Montsègur, Paschendale, the Nomad, Thousand Suns, Ben Breeg as fairly heavy songs. Fortunes of War and the Aftermath had a very doom-metal ish sound to them too.

Fortunes of War comes to mind and actually a lot of The X Factor does. Even heavier when played live.

Well I have to agree with SMX here. I also don't find the speed of the song a relevant criteria. However, I feel that slow songs tend to sound heavier than fast ones (for example Sabbath's eponymous song and for comparison Manowar's The Demons Whip).

Beyond that, I think TXF and AMoLaD compete for Maiden's heaviest album, so picking two songs from each I'd say Fortunes of War or The Aftermath from TXF, like Reumeren said, and BTaTS and TRoBB from AMoLaD.

On a second thought, Lord of Light is also a rightful candidate.

I can't pick one single track either, though it could be BTATS.

Dunno, aggression and raw/exploding energy are also important criteria.
And Be Quick fits these criteria very well imo.

Prowler
Killers
Total Eclipse*
The Trooper (When I hear 'Arry ramming those snares on a festival, I instantly forget so called "heavier" bands which played earlier that day)
To Tame a Land
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Public Enema Number One (esp. the verses with Bruce on all cilinders)
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Sign of the Cross
Fortunes of War
Paschendale
Brighter than a Thousand Suns
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

In these songs the playing I find heavy. Especially the riffs (and the bass and drums underneath, and sometimes the vocals as well) cut through the bones and flesh.

edit: @added another track*

I For one like These Colors Don't Run, and, like most folks already said, The Aftermath and really anything off of AMOLAD and TXF.

I like Foro's list too. He is always spot on. I have to say that Where Eagles Dare has always done it for me. Maybe for sentimental value but it IS one heavy song.

I'd say most songs off of TXF are rather dark and heavy, but mostly dark. If I had to go for heavy alone I'd nominate Paschendale, No More Lies, Montsegur, The Trooper, Powerslave, and Brighter than a Thousand Suns.

On second thoughts, Paschenfuckingdale wins on this one for me.

I have to ask: why did they discard the 'fucking' from the track name on the official release?

pilau said:
I have to ask: why did they discard the 'fucking' from the track name on the official release?
It was Murray's choice.  He didn't want to give a bad example to the young ones. :D 

HAHA,  got you H fans!!!  (Yax I expect some praises here  :p)

Deano said:
I have to say that Where Eagles Dare has always done it for me. Maybe for sentimental value but it IS one heavy song.

Agreed.  I also have always thought Mariner was pretty damn heavy, quiet bits in the middle notwithstanding.  Indeed, I think that entire album (Powerslave) is heavy throughout, much heavier (if not darker) than X Factor, IMO.  In addition to the title track, Aces High and Two Minutes, listen to Losfer Words and the beginning of Duellists again...

I'm surprised that people have mentioned the Trooper, I've always considered that one of the most melodic metal songs around. And yes, I know a song can be both heavy and melodic.

After listening to the 'reunion' albums I must that that Paschendale and Brighter than a Thousand Suns seems the most heavy. Remember, we're talking about heaviest SONG not riff, so I think the time that the heaviness is around is very important. But I think Killers is the heaviest song from the 'early days'.

I've noteced that Wasting Love's chorus is very very heavy.
Also, fear is the key is heavy.

Another interesting thing I have noticed:
Since Janick joined the band, most of the rhythms to the solos are pretty heavy. they make the solo sound darker. Most notable on NPFTD and FOTD. maybe AMOLAD too.

Back