Maiden's Heaviest Song?

Now I'm thinking that Paschendale (notice the correct spelling :innocent:) is actually heavier than Montsègur. Montsègur may have a heavier main-riff, but Paschendale just eliminate everything in it's path all the way through.

Montsegur sounds to me like the happiest song in the Maiden catalogue (which is rediculous for such lyrics).

What's wrong with the lyrics?  :blink:

I know the commentary complained about the lines ''As we kill them all so God will know His own...''. Well, according to wikipedia it's a quote from a text from 1244.

Not the lyrics. The melodies which play (for me at least) a vital role in a song.
In my ears they sound too happy. A big contrast with the lyrics.

"Brighter than a thousand suns", "Paschendale".  One of this two.

Studio production is so heavy. Unbelievable.

In my opinion, AMOLAD is their heaviest studio album yet.

What I think (In an unarranged order):

The Edge of Darkness
Be Quick or be Dead
Paschendale
Lord of Light

I think most of Maiden's heaviest songs only came about post-1995, after the release of The X Factor. With the definitive exception of Virtual XI, each Maiden album since then featured at least one actually heavy song. I don't think Maiden's earlier years had that big an amount of heavy songs, rather than heavy moments on songs.

"The Prisoner" might be the heaviest of the '80s period. "Losfer Words" is also a very strong contender, as are a number of tracks from Di'Anno's tenure.

From the '90s onwards, we get songs like "Be Quick Or Be Dead", "Sign of the Cross", "Fortunes of War". A number of songs from Brave New World, Dance of Death, The Final Frontier and The Book os Souls also showcase unique moments of extreme heaviness. "The Book of Souls" may feature the heaviest riff in Maiden's career.

It is "Face In the Sand", though, that I consider to be Maiden's heaviest song yet. I don't quite know why, but it feels gigantic; like it's going to crush you completely.

A Matter of Life and Death
is definitely their heaviest album, followed closely by The X Factor. Dance of Death can also be very heavy at times ("Face In the Sand" as the obvious example), but that one is more due to the production itself than the subject matter of the lyrics.

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg probably. Tears of a Clown is also quite heavy.

Thousand Suns.

I mean those things aren’t just bright, they’re huge...

Flight Of Icarus, Back In The Village, The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Montsegur, Paschendale, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

Where Eagles Date
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
Public Enema No1
Fallen Angel
Montsegur
Paschendale
BTATS

Back