Maiden United

I went to this gig and it was one of the most wonderful concerts I've seen. Everything was just brilliant. The venue! Empire of the Clouds was done in 4 sections spread over the show. I loved the organ and piano combination. There was a nice rendition of The Evil That Men Do with Sharon den Adel.

The arrangements of the songs, the fun and musicianship of everyone involved, often I forgot I was looking at a tribute/cover band. Despite knowing the songs so well, this was something different enough to feel the value and fun of it.

Damian Wilson was stunningly good. Tone perfect, reaching high notes, singing with power. Empire of the Clouds and Aces High were sung by Wudstik (Jermain van der Bogt). I did not know him but he is a a very talented guy with an expressive voice and insane range.

Apocalyptica's lead cellist Perttu Kivilaakso is a master. What an addition to this gig. I love his soloing/improvising but also his aggressive riffing. That's was very cool in Empire I thought.

Last and absolutely not least. Dennis Stratton. Man, was I impressed. This man is very musical. I loved his backing vocals (at least as good as Adrian's) and guitar solos. Very, very nice. it also felt as if the atmosphere was enriched because of him sitting there and talking in between the songs interacting with Damian.

Dennis Stratton joined the band in:

Remember Tomorrow (incl. solo)
Strange World
Charlotte the Harlot (incl. backing vocals)
The Trooper (incl. solo and backing vocals)
Children of the Damned (incl. backing vocals)
Wasted Years (incl. solo and backing vocals)

When he introduced Charlotte the Harlot Dennis said he never liked how it was done in the old days. Way too punky and fast. He prefers Maiden United's version emphasizing the emotional performance of Damian. It was cool to see him doing later Maiden songs. His backing vocals contributed so much in these I thought.

Nice that the band did a Blaze-era track: Futureal

Other songs in the setlist I've never seen performed by any band (next to the already mentioned Empire of the Clouds, Strange World, Charlotte the Harlot):
Sun and Steel, Infinite Dreams and Only the Good Die Young.

Complete setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/maid...ter-carre-amsterdam-netherlands-6beea6ba.html
Final song with everybody on stage: Wasted Years. Not exactly my perspective because I was in a very high section of the theatre with a great view:

Last edited:
Cheers. I had a great time and I hope others will have the chance to experience something similar like this. Perhaps in the (far) future.

Might be the case. But he sure was good. Not sure how it will turn out in the studio. I was especially impressed because this was live. I don't get it why they did not record/release footage of anything of this show. Looks like they only made these promo vids to draw people to the venue. Now that it's over: not a flying fuck.

Might be the case. But he sure was good. Not sure how it will turn out in the studio. I was especially impressed because this was live. I don't get it why they did not record/release footage of anything of this show. Looks like they only made these promo vids to draw people to the venue. Now that it's over: not a flying fuck.

They might have something in the pipeline, but I agree it is quite strange.

Maiden uniteD to release Empire of the Clouds EP in June (sadly without Damian Wilson). It can be pre-ordered here:

http://nuppel.com/category/band/maiden_united/

Information courtesy of http://www.maidenunited.com/

Maiden uniteD said:
Looking back at the best show we could ever wish for at The Royal Theatre of Amsterdam, last January 27th, Maiden uniteD decided to go into the studio to record the track ‘Empire of the Clouds’.
This new release will be released June 8th as 12” vinyl EP, digisleeve CD with bonus disc and in digital format on all major download and streaming platforms. It contains the full story of the Silver Ghost, the R101: tragedy, hopes and dreams…

Track list 12" Vinyl EP:
Side A: Empire Of The Clouds Part 1, 2, 3 & 4
Side B: Empire Of The Clouds Part 2, 3 & 4 (Live in Carré, Amsterdam)

Track list CD edition:
CD 1: Empire Of The Clouds Part 1, 2, 3 & 4
Bonus disc: Empire Of The Clouds Part 2, 3 & 4 (Live in Carré, Amsterdam) + Killers (ft. Wudstik on vocals)

The Sailors of the Sky are:
Vocals: Wudstik (For All We Know, Ayreon)
Guitar: Ruud Jolie (Within Temptation, For All We Know)
Bass: Joey Bruers (Up The Irons)
Piano: Huub van Loon (The Ultraverse)
Cello: Perttu Kivilaakso (Apocalyptica)
Hammond: Thijs Schrijnemakers (Orgel Vreten)
Drums: Mike Coolen (Within Temptation)
Narrator: Edward Reekers (Kayak, Ayreon)

Back