Maiden England Tour 2012/2013!

You know what I mean Tron! Having a good view from a stand, is sort of like the TV version of live music; visually that is. But when you're right near the front, especially at a UK "arena" (like the SECC in Glasgow), then you really are very close; it's just metres away & not very high either. The music sounds different, the view is different, the experience is just... different. I didn't mean H looked into my eyes & noticed the love there! :D I just meant he ambled over & was right in front of us. Up until then it had just been mad Janick; I was sort of centre right, and right a bit more. But not out on the wings or anything...

Yeh, bring on a UK arena tour. They'll not come up to Scotland I don't think, but I'd quite like to see them in London or something. Btw Tron, how pissed would you be if they played ATG on the US leg, but dropped it... noooooooooooooooooooooooooo... don't even imagine it!!

I know that in America, there is seating where in Europe, you stand, and it's always been that way. But still, talking about seats at a Maiden show just sounds so wrong to me. I remember losing twenty Euros once when trading in a seated ticket for a standing one, and I didn't even mind. I just can't imagine sitting down at a heavy metal show. It doesn't make sense.

I sat down during Anthem at the IE show. I was just so tired by the end, I had to take a short break. :D

Besides that, yea it's hard to enjoy a metal show while seated.

All right, I need to clear this up, just based on what I've read in a few of the last several posts...

I was talking about a seat, yes (as in actually a chair), but it's not like I would ever sit in it during a concert... The seats are there, and my ticket will show that seat as where I am supposed to be, but I would be standing the entire time, as would probably 99% of everyone else who has an actual seat.

At the concert in 2010, there was no a single person in my entire section (that I saw, anyway) who was sitting down. The sole reason I mentioned "front row seats" in my previous post is because the seats weren't very elevated. So when I was behind a tall person in 2010, I had to duck and dodge sometimes to see the stage. This is the reason I am hoping to get a front row seat ticket, therefore there will be absolutely no obstruction between me and the stage. I will be aiming for a seat, but there's no way in hell I, or most of the people around me, would ever sit down.

I just didn't want anyone from other countries to associate sitting at a concert in the US to be "normal". It's not really. The seats are there, yes, but everyone still stands.

How big is the area where there is no seating, then? I guess that's what you would refer to as the pit, and I assume the pit is eventually the area closest to the stage?

I've been to some heavy metal concerts (including Maiden) in sports venues, and there it works like this; on the pitch, you stand. In the stands (which are generally seated in modern sports venues, you stand as well. But I must say, the venue I liked best was the old fortress in Bergen where Maiden played in 2010. No stands, just a big lawn with 20 000 fans standing and producing the best atmosphere of the Maiden shows I've attended in Norway.

No more lies!
No more ... rain!

I'm aware that you're probably not going to sit down, I still couldn't imagine being in the stands or anywhere else where there are seats. Please rest assured that I'm not judging you or anything, since I suppose you have no alternative. It's just that it is very hard for me to imagine staying on one spot during the entire gig - unless that spot is right at the barrier.

How big is the area where there is no seating, then? I guess that's what you would refer to as the pit, and I assume the pit is eventually the area closest to the stage?

Yeah, with most amphitheaters here in the US, the pit refers to the section literally right in front of the stage (by the barrier, first to the barrier, etc). This goes back for maybe 100 feet or so, and then that is where the seating begins. But then, behind all of the seating, there is something known as "Lawn seats" or "General Admission Lawn", and this is basically a huge field of grass where people stand as well. Lawn seats are generally the cheapest, but also the farthest from the stage.

Here's a layout of the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater in Chicago, where Iron Maiden plays:
http://images.razorgator.com/venuemap.aspx?perf_id=9355661&perf_bid=1&size=l

Most outdoor venues follow that same concept. Even though it may be hard to tell from my description or the picture, the Lawn area is actually the BIGGEST part of the venue, as it stretches back and can usually have thousands of people on it (the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater, for example, can host up to around 30,000 people, most probably in the Lawn section). The actual seating is the minority of the tickets.

I'm not judging you or anything, since I suppose you have no alternative.

No worries man. I just figured I'd clarify better. But yeah, when I had mentioned front row seating (if you look at the seating chart in my previous, above post), I am targeting any of the front row seats from sections 201-208... since then there would be absolutely nothing in front of our view, as the section 100 seats, and pit, would be about 10-15 feet below our point of view in front of us. This is because, in 2010, I was unfortunate enough to get standing behind some tall people (I am not that tall myself :() and had trouble seeing the stage at times.

Yeah, this is something that always causes confusion between Europeans and Americans. By comparison, a typical arena in Europe will have a layout like this:

plan-bercy-Black-Eyed-Peas.jpg

(that's the Palais Omnisports de Bercy in Paris, where I witnessed my first Maiden gig. It holds around 16.000 people) The big green area in the centre that says "Fosse Debout" is the pit. Nobody in their right mind would think of putting a single chair in there. Seating is only in the stands surrounding the pit. In the pit, you can move around freely, and you can actually squeeze quite far up front, to about three or four rows from the barrier if you're good (although the term "row" is to be seen loosely here). To me, it's all part of the experience, and even though I clearly know the difference, I'm always astonished at the huge difference between American and European venues.

Nothing beats 10,000 in one big mash-up: do what you want; push to the front if you want (or can); get a drink & try & get back to the front! You get seating in the UK (I think we all understand what this is) --I just wouldn't dream of buying a seat for a Maiden gig. Standing all the way.

The difference is north american arenas are fit for Hockey and NBA thus the playing surface is smaller. I am glad to take a ''seating'' seat tho. Being 5'5'', festivals and other standings shows are a lost fights.

The big green area in the centre that says "Fosse Debout" is the pit.
From my experience, the only thing called a pit is the fan pit, a cordoned-off zone nearest to the stage (and generally the most expensive one), while the rest of the ground level is just called "standing area", "ground floor" or something like that.

I've never seen a cordoned-off zone in an arena Maiden played in. In Bercy, there is a safety barrier, but you can pass that one freely. I've always only known one category of standing tickets.

I guess that's a promotor trick only in Croatia then... :D

I remember that there were several zones in a U2 show as well (just so that there's no misunderstanding here, I despise U2 and wouldn't go to one of their shows if someone paid me to go); they had like a silver pit, gold pit and diamond pit! Each one closer to the stage and 30% more expensive than the previous one! :D

At the show in Bergen, they actually had restricted access to the area closest to the stage, but it was restricted in the way that people who arrived early, were given an armband that gave them access (I got one), and these could then move freely in and out of this area. Then when a predefined number of people had been equipped with one of these green armbands, no more people were admitted into this "pit". I guess it was in order to avoid the area between the stage and the first barrier being overcrowded. There's a big difference between having a few hundred pushing on your back and 15.000 :D

Yeah, I think I experienced that once, but I don't really know where, anymore.

Ranko: I just remembered that I have witnessed such restricted access at several major non-Maiden gigs. Both were in the Berlin Olympic Stadium, and for The Rolling Stones and AC/DC respectively. So it does exist here, but only for the biggest of the big.

The difference is north american arenas are fit for Hockey and NBA thus the playing surface is smaller. I am glad to take a ''seating'' seat tho. Being 5'5'', festivals and other standings shows are a lost fights.

Haha, try being 5' like me!

Back