Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm expecting thorough domination by The X Factor.

The only difficult decision here for me is Prodigal Son vs Edge of Darkness. I really love Prodigal Son, but The Edge of Darkness has grown on me a ton recently.

I only had to think about Killers vs Judgement of Heaven. I went for the former in the end, and that is my only Killers vote.

An easy one for me since Killers is one the weakest Maiden albums imo:

Ides of March vs Sign of the Cross
Wrathchild
vs Lord of the Flies
Murders in the Rue Morgue vs Man on the Edge
Another Life vs Fortunes of War
Genghis Khan vs Look for the Truth
Innocent Exile vs The Aftermath
Killers vs Judgement of Heaven
Twilight Zone vs Blood on the World's Hands
Prodigal Son vs Edge of Darkness
Purgatory
vs 2AM
Drifter vs The Unbeliever

Killers: 2
X Factor: 9
Well, at first it was 10 to 1 but then I remembered that Purgatory is a very nice little tune

Ides of March vs Sign of the Cross
Wrathchild
vs Lord of the Flies
Murders in the Rue Morgue vs Man on the Edge
Another Life vs Fortunes of War
Genghis Khan vs Look for the Truth
Innocent Exile vs The Aftermath
Killers vs Judgement of Heaven
Twilight Zone vs Blood on the World's Hands
Prodigal Son vs Edge of Darkness
Purgatory
vs 2AM
Drifter vs The Unbeliever

7-4 in favour of 'The X-Factor'. Most of these were extremely easy.

The only difficult decision here for me is Prodigal Son vs Edge of Darkness. I really love Prodigal Son, but The Edge of Darkness has grown on me a ton recently.
I decided to go with Edge of Darkness here. Ask me in a week, and my answer is likely to be different, but this is what I'm going with now. :p

Voting all X-Factor with the exception of Killers and Purgatory.

Killers is my least favorite, and The X Factor is one of my favorite albums of all time, but my votes were more balanced this time - solely for the fact that Killers got two because of "Murders In The Rue Morgue" and "Genghis Khan", two of their finest songs IMO.

Otherwise it's all TXF.

People keep complaining about Wrathchild but lots of people are still voting for it. I like it myself, but Lord of the Flies is one of my favorite Maiden songs ever. I heard the song before I read the book - I liked the song already but upon reading it, I've only strengthened my love of it. "Lord of the Flies" is everything I want from a musical retelling of a literary masterpiece.

I went with all TXF songs except two - Genghis Khan and Purgatory. I almost chose Killers over Judgement of Heaven, but then I realised it's just the intro what I really love about Killers and I enjoy the entirety of JoH.

Gosh, I wish Lord of the Flies won, I love that song.

Killers have grown on me in recent years, and I think it's a better album than the debut, but against The X Factor there's almost no contest - it will always belong in my Maiden albums top 5.

Voted for Another Life, Genghis, Prodigal Son and Purgatory from Killers, the rest went to the brooding masterpiece :)

Edit: Just wanted to join the choir for Lord of the Flies, it can't be praised enough

Last edited:
The correct votes are for:
Sign of the Cross
Wrathchild
Murder in the Rue Morgue
Another Life
Genghis Khan
Innocent Exile
Killers
Twilight Zone
Prodigal Son
Purgatory
Drifter

Adrian Smith guys, c'mon.

I voted for more Killers here than I expected to, but this was a tough round. Both albums stack the best songs up front and get worse from there (though X Factor has some brighter spots further in). Overall, I voted 6-5 for Killers, which really makes me cringe a bit.

Back