Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Easiest round so far, though I do voted for more Killers songs than I would expect. Voted for:
  • "Murders In the Rue Morgue"
  • "Genghis Khan"
  • "Innocent Exile"
  • "Killers"
  • "Purgatory"
from Killers. And:
  • "Sign of the Cross"
  • "Lord of the Flies"
  • "Fortunes of War"
  • "Blood On the World's Hands"
  • "The Edge of Darkness"
  • "The Unbeliever"
from The X Factor.

Despite being the easiest round yet, it was still rather difficult since I had to think for a lot of my choices here (and considering that I love The X Factor and don't like Killers all that much, a 6-5, even if for the former, was weird). Only one choice was dead on, for which I didn't need to even remotely think about, and that was "Prodigal Son" against "The Edge of Darkness". The latter is the obvious choice, since "Son" lacks greatly, while "Darkness" is just great.

Last edited:
Ides of March vs Sign of the Cross
Wrathchild
vs Lord of the Flies
Murders in the Rue Morgue vs Man on the Edge
Another Life vs Fortunes of War
Genghis Khan vs Look for the Truth
Innocent Exile vs The Aftermath
Killers vs Judgement of Heaven
Twilight Zone vs Blood on the World's Hands
Prodigal Son vs Edge of Darkness
Purgatory
vs 2AM
Drifter vs The Unbeliever

Killers - 6
The X Factor - 5

No tricky ones for me in this round. I like both albums a fair bit and they would be close to each other in my overall album rankings. The only slight misgiving I have is voting against Look For The Truth but it has no chance against Genghis Khan.

Fewer blowouts that round and a close battle overall.
But X Factor becomes the first newer album to win a round, taking it 6-5 with none of the individual match-ups really in doubt

Next round, I eagerly await the results of particularly the fourth match-up as the band's latest album the Book of Souls tangles with the album Forostar will defend to the death, No Prayer for the Dying. :fencing:

These match ups have so far proved interesting for me with lower ranked albums faring far better against higher ranked albums than I would expect.
Lets see how this goes; my Most Improved album (No Prayer) vs The New One which has gone down in my estimation recently. If Eternity Should Fail is a shoo* in but aside from that, its fair game.
*had to search that one

I think this matchup really emphasized the consistency of each album.
Unfortunately for No Prayer it’s a pretty consistent 6/7 and Book is a pretty consistent 8/9.

Near sweep for Book. Couldn’t decide on match 3.

Finally some balance.

I love both IESF and Tailgunner, but the latter is slightly higher in my overall list and I've loved it longer as well. Tailgunner.

Speed of Light is a nice rocker, but kinda weak on the album. Holy Smoke is a stand-out on NPFTD.

The Great Unknown still isn't one of my overall favorites from TBOS, No Prayer For The Dying.

I love PENO's chorus and it's a cool song, but come on. The Red and the Black is masterful, not to mention epic live.

Fates Warning is one of Maiden's weakest songs; When The River Runs Deep isn't exactly a masterpiece, but it's a much better song by all accounts.

The Book of Souls is somewhat overrated but a very fun jam kinda song, certainly better than The Assassin.

This was tough: Run Silent, Run Deep is good, but Death or Glory is a pretty awesome newer song.

Hooks In You is light and cheesy; unpopular opinion: it's better than Shadows of the Valley.

BYD...TTS is an awesome song, but Tears of the Clown is a fuckin' masterpiece. Emotional, thought-provoking, god I love it so much.

Kill Me Ce Soir is a great cover. The Man of Sorrows is good but overrated.

And finally... I love Mother Russia, but Empire of the Clouds is the best song of all time. Period. A vote against it is like stabbing me with a dagger.

That's 5 for NPFTD and 6 for TBOS. Very interesting.

90% TBOS, I only made one exception for Bring Your Daughter, which I find to be a solid, fun romp. I like Tears Of a Clown, but far less interesting.

I'm going to do my due diligence and listen to a few of these No Prayer tracks, but this very well may be a clean sweep for Souls for me.

But seriously, Hooks In You over Shadows of the Valley? So easy? Come on, horse, that's just crazy. Its like votin for Women In Uniform over Phantom of the Opera.
or The Assassin over Book of Souls.

But seriously. Anyone who votes for The Assassin here needs to be checked into some kind of institution ASAP.

Next round, I eagerly await the results of particularly the fourth match-up as the band's latest album the Book of Souls tangles with the album Forostar will defend to the death, No Prayer for the Dying. :fencing:
Eagerly? That almost sounds cruel. You eagerly wish to see a victory for a new album perhaps? This outcome is as predictable as the forum's antipathy for the early nineties and its love for shit vocals on When the River Runs Deep.
I better stay away for some days.

Eagerly? That almost sounds cruel. You eagerly wish to see a victory for a new album perhaps? This outcome is as predictable as the forum's antipathy for the early nineties and its love for shit vocals on When the River Runs Deep.
I better stay away for some days.

No, I am genuinely curious to see how your least favourite Maiden song of all time does against what I perceive to be one of the better-liked songs from No Prayer.

Also, did you vote for 9 No Prayer songs because you genuinely prefer each one, or are you making a statement about the album. Serious question.

6-5 in favor of Book of Souls. Out of NPFTD, I went for the title track, Fates warning, Run Silent..., Hooks, and Bring Your Daughter.

I went only for Smoke, the title track, Run Silent and Daughter.

Now FOTD x TBOS, that would have been really hard for me.

No, I am genuinely curious to see how your least favourite Maiden song of all time does against what I perceive to be one of the better-liked songs from No Prayer.
I thought you meant fourth album match-up. Despite its stolen Uriah Heep riff and its endless lack of variation, the Red and the Black is the most lauded song from the last 10 years, it was plugged by Maiden for two years in a row, maybe even three (God help us) and it will easily trash any early nineties song, however good that is.

Back