London 2012 Olympics

Scotland may be independent by the Rio games, so hard to say what's going to happen there.
Alex Scumbag Salmond has already suggested in 2008 that Scotland should have its own Olympic team because so many Scottish Olympians did well in Beijing. Sir Chris Hoy was asked about this and he said that if it wasn't for UK organizations such as the National Lottery and British Cycling then he wouldn't have been able to achieve what he did. I'm happy with things the way they are, I just hate the name "Team GB".

Mexico's sports are the speed walking 20 and 50k. Some track events, but not always. Only in recent years have we had any good prospects. We regularly do well in diving, we've won silver in men and women's synchronized already :). We participate in almost every event, but rarely medal. We have prospects in Boxing, football and an event we have recently excelled at is Tae Kwan Do.

Oh and next time your kid asks you, "Dad, What does smoking pot do to you?" You say, "Well son/daughter, instead of winning 8 gold medals for your country you come in 4th in the individual 400 IM" :p

One more one more: During the olympic ceremony I liked how the "industrial revolution" forged the rings. As they raised them to the rafters I was waiting for one to be given to Man, another to the Elves, anther to the Dwarves... When the Queen made her appearance she looked PISSED. Bet she was thinking, "And to think I had The One to rule them all!"

What a crock of shit! Ijust read how the IRS is taxing the medals the U.S. athletes are winning. I knew that if an athlete got a medal that they recieved a cash prize award for the U.S. Olympic committe and that money is considered to be taxable income. But if you win a gold medal you also owe the IRS $236 for the value of that medal. No wonder we want to burn that organization down.

Velodrome has started and already it looks like it's going to be another dominant GB performance. Sorry.

What a crock of shit! Ijust read how the IRS is taxing the medals the U.S. athletes are winning. I knew that if an athlete got a medal that they recieved a cash prize award for the U.S. Olympic committe and that money is considered to be taxable income. But if you win a gold medal you also owe the IRS $236 for the value of that medal. No wonder we want to burn that organization down.

Snopes is already all over this: http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/olympics.asp

Amazing semi-final on Tennis. I thought it was going for the night. Federer going for the career golden slam now. A must see.

One of the better moments of the Olympics was the first Saudi woman competing, even in a modified uniform. She lost pretty quickly in Judo, but it was good to see her (and ideally more behind her) compete. It is assinine all the threats she and her family have received. Hopefully there will be more in 2016. It was also classy of the crowd to give her a big ovation before and after the match and her opponent seemed to recognize the moment as well and had some nice things to say.

Story about it here

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/j...seraj-abdulrahim-shahrkhani-loses-bout-080312

Yeah...fuck Saudi Arabia. That's all I have to say about that. Phelps gets another gold.

From an Olympic standpoint, I will throw in a fuck China for pushing the IOC (and other International bodies) to force Taiwain to go by Chinese Taipei and use a different flag. I read a story where anyone displaying the countries actual flag would be booted from any events.

But, I share your sentiment about Saudia Arabia as well, but give them at least a minor piece of credit for allowing her to go and compete ... I hope that at least in some way, this will spark some change in how women are treated officially at least.

Andy Murray actually seems to care about the Olympics! :eek: However, he has a five setter against Roger Federer again so will probably lose.

It was great to see Katherine Grainger finally get a gold medal for rowing after three consecutive silvers. She was absolutely devastated in Beijing and I expected her to be overcome after finally winning today but she was like a ray of sunshine. Rebecca Adlington on the other hand "only" got the bronze medal in the 800m Freestyle despite being the overwhelming favourite. Francesca Halsall said that Rebecca has nothing to be disappointed about because she would "Chew her right arm off for a bronze medal". That's my favourite quote of the games so far!

I was thrilled by the 10000 m women yesterday. What a final run by Dibaba!

After the first week USA and China are close, as expected. GB did very good in the last few days, but it took a while before they had their first gold. Netherlands didn't do that great (hoped for more medals with cycling and swimming).

1 USA 21 10 12 43
2 China 20 13 9 42
3 South Korea 9 2 5 16
4 Great-Britain 8 6 8 22
5 France 8 5 6 19
6 Germany 5 9 6 20
7 Italy 4 5 3 12
8 North Korea 4 0 1 5
9 Kazachstan 4 0 0 4
10 Russia 3 12 8 23
11 South Africa 3 1 0 4
12 New Zealand 3 0 3 6
13 Japan 2 8 11 21
14 Cuba 2 2 1 5
15 Netherlands 2 1 3 6
16 Hungary 2 1 2 5
17 Poland 2 1 1 4
18 Ukraine 2 0 4 6
19 Australia 1 9 4 14
20 Romania 1 4 2 7
21 Brazil 1 1 4 6
22 Belarus 1 1 2 4
23 Slovenia 1 0 2 3
24 Ethiopia 1 0 0 1
24 Georgia 1 0 0 1
24 Lithuania 1 0 0 1
24 Venezuela 1 0 0 1
28 Mexico 0 3 1 4
29 Canada 0 2 5 7
30 Columbia 0 2 1 3
30 Spain 0 2 1 3
32 Czech Republic 0 2 0 2
32 Sweden 0 2 0 2
34 Denmark 0 1 2 3
35 Belgium 0 1 1 2
35 India 0 1 1 2
35 Indonesia 0 1 1 2
35 Kenia 0 1 1 2
35 Mongolia 0 1 1 2
35 Norway 0 1 1 2
41 Egypt 0 1 0 1
41 Croatia 0 1 0 1
41 Taiwan 0 1 0 1
41 Thailand 0 1 0 1
45 Slovakia 0 0 3 3
46 Azerbeidzjan 0 0 1 1
46 Greece 0 0 1 1
46 Hongkong, China 0 0 1 1
46 Iran 0 0 1 1
46 Moldavia 0 0 1 1
46 Oezbekistan 0 0 1 1
46 Qatar 0 0 1 1
46 Serbia 0 0 1 1
46 Singapore 0 0 1 1

I'll be watching the heats for the women's 3000m steeplechase soon as I actually sort of know one of the athletes taking part.

I was somewhat skeptical about the Olympics at first (I wasn't against them like some people in the UK seem to be :confused: just not all that interested) but there's been some really exciting stuff on, the hockey I saw the other day was mental, the crowd was that pumped it was like a footie match :p I reckon Andy Murray is going to go all out against Federer, should be very interesting..

Canada just picked up her first gold medal in Women's Trampoline. Which is awesome.

Just watched the double amputee from SA race. I do not know enough about the sport/his "feet" to know if they really give him an advantage or not, but it is cool to see him get as far as he had ... looks like he will be in the finals and have a shot at a medal.

Cool to see the Dream Team not winning so easy. They had to do their utmost best, under leadership of the excellent LeBron James, in order to beat Lithuania (at some point it even was: 82 (Lit) - 80 (USA)

Final score: 99 (USA) - 94 (Lit)

Back