London 2012 Olympics

A storm in a teacup has just started about the UK national anthem. The Welsh players in the men's football team and the Scottish players in the women's team didn't sing 'God Save the Queen' which has caused outrage from other members of the horribly named "Team GB".

Who the hell cares? Half of the English football team don't sing the anthem and Gold Medal winners never sing their anthems. This is one reason that the UK should never have entered football teams in the Olympics, and also why the English football team shouldn't use 'God Save the Queen' as their anthem.

Not nearly as good as the opening ceremony of 2008. I knew they weren't going to top the visuality of Beijing 2008 but Brits had the biggest chance of in the usage of music (because well, too many awesome bands) and I think they blew it. Zeppelin, Queen, Beatles and Sex Pistols and that's it, switching to pop. No progressive rock. Ok I wouldn't expect King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer or something but not even Pink Floyd ? No Sabbath, no Priest, no Maiden, too.

I was thinking the same. I didn't see the Stones, either. How's that possible?

Overall it was interesting, but nothing special.

The historical part was reduced to "green pastures" and the industrial revolution. Was too short.

They could have talked about Darwin and the sea voyages.

The rest were videos and music, without metal. The 2008 opening was better, imho. This one was too much politically-correct.

Will maiden be doing anything regarding opening or closing ceremonies? Not on until 730 pm here in the us.

I could never see them doing Metal... simply the music is shunned by too large a percentage of the population. Even if it is a defining era and a large genre that was born in England, it is unlikely to ever get acceptance/acknowledgement. It also doesn't fit such events due to the music being either aggressive, or the lyrics a bit out of place (or both).

I believe David Cameron actually proposed English sports teams use Jerusalem due to the fact that whilst 'God Save the Queen' is BRITAIN'S national anthem, Wales/Scotland still have their own individual ones and so should we. I concur (altho ofc I prefer the Bruce version! but even with the regular one as national anthem I can be like 'FU! I'm being patriotic ;D') with that selection and add it to my list.. giving 3 choices that clearly surpass GSTQ.

Overall it was interesting, but nothing special.

The historical part was reduced to "green pastures" and the industrial revolution. Was too short.

They could have talked about Darwin and the sea voyages.

The rest were videos and music, without metal. The 2008 opening was better, imho. This one was too much politically-correct.
I didn't watch it, but the history part sounds a bit of a let down. The major parts of British history and the development of the United Kingdom appear to have been completely ignored: Roman occupation, Alfred the Great, William the Conqueror, the Act of Union and the British Empire. Certain aspects of British history, such as the wars with France and Spain and the World Wars, don't need to be mentioned, and the role of Northern Ireland in the union is always inflammatory, but some very important things have been ignored. That's a shame.

7 people to light the torch was unusual... although I'm glad it wasn't beckham (I seem to be the only one though). I prefer the bowl olympic torch which is actually the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the olympics, but that was pretty nifty the way it all folded up.

Stopped watching after McCartney. The whole "Just the men!!" "Just the women!!" "yeah one more time come on!!" etc gig-frontman type performance he was doing.... I was just like um... most these people won't understand you, and many won't know the song... it's not a flippin Beatles gig, it's the olympics. But again, that's likely just me being a grumpy sod.

I found funny how proud they were of the Industrial Revolution... Makes me wonder what may green peace think of them literally quiting grass from the floor to put fabrics lol. And Arctic Monkeys act was complete garbage, McCartney was very good and fitted very well I think

The Games have already started... and a blunder happened today: South Korean flag for North Korea!:bigsmile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18991619
The North Korean women's football team have walked off the pitch at their Olympic match in Glasgow after their images were shown on a screen beside a South Korean flag.
_61814342_north-korea-flag-error.jpg

Any sports people are looking forward to in particular?
I'll go for Athletics, swimming and cycling, and probably some gymnastics.
d'oh! Epic Fail!!

Back