Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Well I never imagined it would be as simple as popping out a couple of old AAAs and nipping to the corner shop for a new pack.
Neither did I, but I did imagine that certified aircraft technicians would know how to find exactly which variants that were approved and which ones that were not.

Supposing the Maiden gig in Arnhem will take place on 27 June 2022 and supposing I will go if it does, it will have been almost four full years in between Maiden gigs for me. Last time I saw them was in Plovdiv, 22 July 2018.
For me it will be a little more than four years, I saw them on the Copenhagen show in the beginning of June. @Black Wizard was there too. After the show, we lamented the sad state of the Copenhagen metro, in song.

Supposing the Maiden gig in Arnhem will take place on 27 June 2022 and supposing I will go if it does, it will have been almost four full years in between Maiden gigs for me. Last time I saw them was in Plovdiv, 22 July 2018.
2 August 2018 to 13 June 2022 for me, both in Belfast.

That will be the longest break I guess for me, previous record I suppose was Jan 1996 to Sept 1999
For me it will be a little more than four years, I saw them on the Copenhagen show in the beginning of June. @Black Wizard was there too. After the show, we lamented the sad state of the Copenhagen metro, in song.
I saw them 5 days after Per did, in Krakow. A record for me as well (almost 4 years).
The previous "longest break" was in between 1992 and 1995 (3 years, 3 months, 3 weeks!), my first two Maiden gigs.

Last edited:
Train exit: Be'er Sheva, 16:30.
Train arrival: Haifa, 18:40.

The bus stopped at a train station further to the north, so I might as well board from there. I cancel my train entry barcode from the southern station to get one from the northern one, but as I finish entering the code on my phone, somebody else took the last place on the train.

Whatever, I'll take the train of 17:00. New arrival time: 19:11.

I wait for the train and board it at 16:55. I sit in the middle of the train car. For some reason it says Kefar Sava as the next station and I'm pretty sure that's not in the way, let me check in my phone. Oops, the train is moving and not towards Haifa. Guess I'll switch at Tel-Aviv...

New arrival time: 19:01 at Tel-Aviv, then I board at 19:25 and arrive at 20:10.

I'm two stations behind mine, let me check times again... Oh, I might be able to catch an earlier train if I exit one station earlier!
And indeed, I exit the train at 18:56 and get on the one of 18:58.

New arrival time: 19:50. Finally, something goes right in this shitty day!

I finally arrive at Haifa. I take my stuff and leave the train, I just want to eat... And... Yep, I forgot my small bag on the train. You know, the one with my wallet and everything.
Shit shit shit shit I run back to the train, press the button once, press the button twice, doors don't open. Train begins to move. I rush towards the exit, nobody there to stop the train even if they were willing. Shit. Enter my parents' car, tell them the situation, let's drive towards the next station.

New arrival time: ???

Luckily, we have
space-time warping tunnels
so we might be able to arrive before the train, but not before one minute of silence for Memorial Day.
The train arrives at 20:08. I'm trying to the best of my ability to get an entry barcode, at least I manage to do that. 20:03... 20:05... At 20:06 I exit the car, run to the train station. I arrive about two minutes before the train, I even have a chat with some people :)

Train arrives, I board where I think I sat and walk to the other end. Walk walk walk, until I reach a dead end and no bag in sight. Walk all the way back and then some, and I finally find my bag two stations later (with my luck, that was probably the train car just one before the one I boarded...)

I exit the train at 20:30 (WITH my bag!) And tell my parents where I am. 20:45 my parents come. 21:15 I'm finally home. I take my stuff, lay on my bed and think:

Can't believe I'm going back tomorrow.

Not sure what this says about my mental state but:

a) I've spent most of the morning absently singing "Fucked With An Anchor" in Goon Show voices, and
b) At one point I walked to my window and thought "who's been chucking bits of lemon peel all over the lawn?" No-one actually: they were dandelions ... :facepalm:

So Amazon is now recommending me books that clearly match my reading profile (sequels to series that I've been reading etc) despite me never having looked for those books there. Instead, I've been keeping a list on Google docs and looked for them on Wikipedia or Goodreads.

What scares me the most is that nobody really bats an eye at this sort of thing anymore. We're just used to corporations spying on us now.

It's annoying that we constantly need to be busy with stuff like this:

Ad Preferences​

Interest-based ads are sometimes referred to as personalized or targeted ads. We show interest-based ads to display features, products, and services that might be of interest to you. For more information see our Interest Based Ads Notice.

Submit your preference​

Show me interest-based ads provided by Goodreads Do not show me interest-based ads provided by Goodreads
If you choose not to be shown interest-based ads above, we will no longer show interest-based ads to you. Even if you choose not to see interest-based ads, you may still see personalized recommendations and other similar features on Goodreads. You may also see ads provided by Goodreads, they just will not be based on your interests. For more general information, please see our Privacy Notice.
Choosing not to see interest-based ads will not affect other services that use cookies and information may still be collected for other purposes. You can manage cookies in the privacy settings of the web browser you are using. Further details on how we use cookies and how you can manage cookies are contained in our Cookies Notice.
We use cookies to manage your choice to not receive interest-based ads. If you delete these cookies or use a different browser, you will have to choose not to receive interest-based ads again. Similarly, if your browser restricts or does not support cookies, we may not be able to remember your choice not to see interest-based ads on that browser. To help avoid having to repeat your choice you can login with your Goodreads account and make the selection above to enable us to honor your choice whenever we recognize your Goodreads account.
Goodreads also serves interest-based ads through third party ad networks. You can generally opt out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or who follow the Digital Advertising Alliance's Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising by visiting the opt out pages on the NAI website and DAA website.

This is why I can never understand the horror at things handing over your name and address for Covid test and trace, when enough information to defraud you (or use your ID for fraud purposes) is freely being sold to anyone and everyone by companies that we are paying to provide services.

This is why I can never understand the horror at things handing over your name and address for Covid test and trace, when enough information to defraud you (or use your ID for fraud purposes) is freely being sold to anyone and everyone by companies that we are paying to provide services.

The best was people not downloading the covid track and trace app, despite them probably having given the same privileges to every other app on their phone.

Had my first aerobatic lesson in 30 days today (the club's aerobatic machine has been on the ground for a while due to engine replacement).

It proved that aerobatics training has an expiry date, I found that both my precision and my endurance weren't quite at the level they were a month ago. However, I did manage to fly all the figures in my home-made sequence without major fuck-ups. However I did manage to fly myself slightly sick and gave my instructor the opportunity to show his landing skills.

We've set up another ride tomorrow where we'll practice the same things, and if that goes well, my next flight after that will be the checkride with the chief instructor.

For the curious ones, my 8-figure sequence is as follows:

1 turn spin --> loop --> stall turn --> Immelmann --> flick roll --> split S --> reverse half Cuban 8 --> slow roll.

Back