Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

cxqk0nfi4fo51.jpg

We have an Organization Development day today all day via Teams meeting. Unfortunately, to end the day, they had hired a standup comedian. :eek: Not a very good one, and people aren't laughing... I'm so distressed I had to hide in the bathroom. He said we should turn on the camera (we never keep them on normally) but I really can't do it. I can't leave the meeting either, because my boss sees a notification if I leave. This is the stuff of nightmares.

We have an Organization Development day today all day via Teams meeting. Unfortunately, to end the day, they had hired a standup comedian. :eek: Not a very good one, and people aren't laughing... I'm so distressed I had to hide in the bathroom. He said we should turn on the camera (we never keep them on normally) but I really can't do it. I can't leave the meeting either, because my boss sees a notification if I leave. This is the stuff of nightmares.
You, I presume:

e96.gif

Hardly anything more awkward than having to sit through an unfunny comedian's performance.
Yeah, and this guy's performance was like a breath of fresh air from the 50s. We deal with political correctness and prevention of prejudice and stereotypes in our work, so it was especially unfitting. Now, I like insinuating humour as much as the next guy, but straightforward sex jokes in the company of my colleagues made me blush.

Awful.

When I was in school, they made us sit through comedian performances during assemblies occasionally. I remember one during which I felt really sorry for the guy. His routine was aimed at pupils; the content that he was teaching a class of animals about other animals, I think. He was too sophisticated for the younger ones, too harmless for the ones in puberty and too childish for the teachers. I don't think anybody ever laughed once, and a lot of kids booed at the end. I've never wanted to see a live standup performance since.

Actually, now I remember my teacher afterwards talking to our class and saying he thought it was pretty shite and thanking us for being among the polite ones who applauded rather than booing.

Did you remember one of his jokes?

Awful.

When I was in school, they made us sit through comedian performances during assemblies occasionally. I remember one during which I felt really sorry for the guy. His routine was aimed at pupils; the content that he was teaching a class of animals about other animals, I think. He was too sophisticated for the younger ones, too harmless for the ones in puberty and too childish for the teachers. I don't think anybody ever laughed once, and a lot of kids booed at the end. I've never wanted to see a live standup performance since.
Stand up is a hard business.
I remember a previous gig at a comedy contest where they didn´t get my puns and the following jokes were attached to the previous jokes so it didn´t work out like I had planned it. :blush:

Did you remember one of his jokes?
There's a saying in Finland, approximately "Fat people are jolly," so he said it isn't true because fat people can be slow, but there's nothing to connect fat and jolly. And the traditional one about all women being better drivers than men, although they don't drive, just sit next to the driver and comment on the driving. That kind of stuff. Although I did escape to the bathroom quite early on and didn't hear much.

Stand up is a hard business.
I'm sure it is. I've sometimes watched it on TV, and some of it is really funny and fresh, and not stuffy old stereotypes. But I'm not sure I'd go to a club, because I'd be so afraid people wouldn't laugh to the comedians, which would make me feel horrible.

I'm sure it is. I've sometimes watched it on TV, and some of it is really funny and fresh, and not stuffy old stereotypes. But I'm not sure I'd go to a club, because I'd be so afraid people wouldn't laugh to the comedians, which would make me feel horrible.
It´s more horrible if you´re standing on the stage though. Luckily it’s only 10 minutes most of the time but the MC might give rude comments after the performance.

Back