Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Today, in a lesson, we had to count ourselves in 6, forming 6 groups. There's a Vietnamese guy in my class who doesn't speak Estonian so when his turn came to call out the number the teacher went to him and said: "You are number six". Pretty easy to guess what my first thought was

Hmm, I wonder how you say "I am not a number!" in Vietnamese ;)

Problems with my ISP are finally being worked out, I should be on here frequently again and back at writing reviews shortly.

They're making a point that if you let one religion (Jesus love) into schools, you have to let them all in. Which, hey, if you're cool with letting it all in, give 'er. I'm fine with that too, because it means I can hand out copies of The God Delusion.

They're making a point that if you let one religion (Jesus love) into schools, you have to let them all in. Which, hey, if you're cool with letting it all in, give 'er. I'm fine with that too, because it means I can hand out copies of The God Delusion.

The difficulty with that approach is, once you start letting all in, you have to let all in. So if you have Muslim, Buddhist, Zoroastrian, Mandaean or Yakut animist parents who want it in, you'll have to adapt the curriculum. I've always felt it's the easier approach to leave religion out of school completely.

I'm plus 1 about that. I think that schools should leave religion out. Imagine teaching about how great Christianity is one period, then the next having a history class about the Crusades or some such :)

I'm a pretty hardcore atheist, and I still think schools should instil some sort of religious values. It is important for children to learn to appreciate various interpretations on the world in general.

Well..... I may sound soap boxy here, but I don't think you need to use religious values to instill correct values into children. Religion is fine for those that like it, but it also has some negative connotations that go with it. And, if its going to be taught, i'm going to teach it to my kids, with my view-- not some 3rd party view-- or school board view-- or even some organized religion view.

Teach them how to be good and respectful, but I don't see why a religion has to be the root of those values.

It's a bit of a messy area on the whole. I suppose 'citizenship' is about promoting some sort of morality in schools, but then deciding which morals are important varies between cultures, religions and also by political stance, and who makes that decision?

I don't like religious involvement in schools at all, although I actually think teaching about different religions and their associated traditions as an academic subject isn't a bad thing.

Back