Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My dad and I can't wait for the iPhone 5S announcement on the 10th. Hopefully they'll do the same as the upcoming Galaxy Note 3 and have multi-tasking of apps.

Here is the thing with running: you just hafta go do it. Here is the only real bits of advice (1) get a good pair-- you don't hafta spend $200 on shoes, but a $100 pair is well worth it and will make you feel better when running (2) run. :)
Thanks for the advice. :) I already have running shoes. I wanted shoes for exercise/walking and just ended up getting a pair of running shoes. As far as the 'just go and do it' part, that's easier said than done for me. When it comes to running, I'll honestly say that I'm not the best in shape with that. I get out of breath quickly so it would work better for me to kind of work my way up to full running. I know they usually say for beginners to do a 'walk/run/walk/run' method. Like maybe the first week for 3 days, you'll walk for 5 minutes then run for 1 to 2 then walk 5 etc for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then the next week, you'll lessen the walking and up the running time. I found one that has an 8 week start then after 8 weeks, just run the whole time.

Well, that's mostly what I mean by 'do it'. start somewhere and get it done! I like that trick, it works well-- once you get going, and running consistently, a trick is to run slow... don't worry about speed, worry about distance. A lot of people want to get out and run fast, and that doesn't work. For me, if I start out slow, then build up, I'm a lot better.

I've thought about taking up running, but I kinda like walking more. :P Have been going regularly though, getting some much needed exercise. :D

Re Priest Ballads: I never liked Here Comes The Tears but Last Rose Of Summer has some nice melodies. Priest's 70's ballads are usually pretty good, their more recent ones, not so much.

Any chance of posting some pics, here or on Facebook?

I have a kid here who certainly would like that. :)

There's a really cool Dinosaur museum on the outskirts of Colorado. I might be visiting it next month; I'll totally have to post some pictures if I do.

A few Sue pics

I would recommend the Chicago museums very strongly, for my money, they are the best in the country as far as permanent exhibits, diversity of exhibits, and the buildings themselves

IMG_20130901_114123_221.jpg

IMG_20130901_144239_679.jpg

http://www.vran.orgwww.vran.org/wp-...MMR-Immunization-Mercury-and-Autism-Geier.pdf

"The results of this study agree with a number of previously published studies. These studies have shown that there is biological plausibility and epidemiological evidence showing a direct relationship between increasing doses of mercury from thimerosal-containing vaccines and neurodevelopmental disorders, and measles-containing vaccines and serious neurological dis-orders."

"Similarly, this study also provides additional epidemiological evidence showing that there is a direct
correlation between increasing primary pediatric measles-containing immunizations and the prevalence
of autism."

The problem with this study is that it is based on a series of studies that all link back to one study by Andrew Wakefield published in The Lancet. All the studies that Geier and Geier refer to here use that study as their point of origin - so even though there are multiple sources, they are all fruit from the same poisonous tree.

The article by Wakefield has been completely retracted by The Lancet and Wakefield has been stripped of his license to practice medicine - that's how seriously wrong his original article was (not to mention self-serving financially). Wakefield lied, he manipulated data, and he altered outcomes to fit his conclusions. Every article that worked on his assumptions is wrong, including the Geier & Geier article. Geier and Geier have, themselves, been criticised for poor work during the scientific review process, and it should be noted that Mark Geier was also stripped of his medical license; his son, the other author, never had an MD and was simply pretending. He was fined as a result of this fraud. The bullshit autism scare was created by doctors who were bought by an industry that wanted to shift people from the MMR vaccine to a replacement vaccine, but it just caused people to stop using the vaccine.

There is no link between vaccines and autism, none, not an inch, not an iota. Anyone who believes otherwise is either misinformed or a liar. The fact that the modern world still has outbreaks of diseases like measles, mumps, scarlet fever, rubella etc. shows that even if you live in Healthytown USA vaccines still are important for every single human being to get. Lowering herd immunity endangers us all.

I would recommend the Chicago museums very strongly, for my money, they are the best in the country as far as permanent exhibits, diversity of exhibits, and the buildings themselves

The Art Institute of Chicago is truly world-class. In the U.S., only the Met can rival it.

I'm well aware of the situation around Andrew Wakefield's study. I have no intention to argue and don't want to convince anybody in anything. If you read my posts regarding vaccines, you might notice that I have nothing against them when they are really necessary. But having my reservations when it comes to my own kid is a completely different question which in none of your business. So call somebody else misinformed or a liar.

Edit: I thought I should stop this discussion here but I won't. Has any of you been vaccinated against scarlet fever? Against a bacterial infection that can reoccur in a few years? Would you repeat it over and over? How many of you would try the vaccine against chicken pox? This one is strongly recommended at present, you know. Hepatitis A? This one is being advertised. How far would you go with this? Flu vaccines, common cold vaccines?

Last edited:
But having my reservations when it comes to my own kid is a completely different question which in none of your business. So call somebody else misinformed or a liar.

I don't think anybody had the intention of telling you how to raise your child or questioning your judgement. But if an issue such as this is brought up in a discussion, people are going to discuss it. I doubt Loosey called you a liar. Misinformed... maybe. I think your recent post clears that up, though.

Edit: I thought I should stop this discussion here but I won't. Has any of you been vaccinated against scarlet fever? Against a bacterial infection that can reoccur in a few years? Would you repeat it over and over? How many of you would try the vaccine against chicken pox? This one is strongly recommended at present, you know. Hepatitis A? This one is being advertised. How far would you go with this? Flu vaccines, common cold vaccines?

I haven't been vaccinated against any of those you mention in my memory. The only thing I've been vaccinated against in recent years was tetanus, and a particularly mean flu a few years ago (bird flu, I think). If I was going to get a vaccine, I'd consult my aunt first. She is a child doctor, and I know she critically assesses each medicine for its side effects before prescribing it. More often than not when talking about medicines, she will say "I'm not prescribing that". Most of all, she doesn't buy into vaccine hypes. So I trust her judgement on that, for the lack of my own medical expertise. The latter is mostly based on anecdotal evidence such as, "my friend got swine flu when she was pregnant, but both her and her child made it out fine". I'm not buying into the annual flu scare, especially because I know that all those terror flues (swine, bird, etc.) were so well monitored that they actually had a lower mortality rate than a regular flu. So, in conclusion: I'm not getting any vaccine that I have to refresh every other month, one that is against a disease I can get away with unscathed, or against something I don't have a risk at getting. I would get a vaccine if there is a good reason for it, but only after consulting my doctor - and perhaps one or two others.

Oh I'm used to hearing people telling me I should reconsider. What they don't get is that I have thought this over and over. I don't mind discussing that but I do mind people throwing Wiki links on herd immunity at me. Or articles about scarlet fever outbreaks at primary schools. Seriously? There are scarlet fever outbreaks at dozens of schools every winter in my city alone. So what? Kids get scarlet fever, they deal with it, they get well in three to five days. Scarlet fever is caused by Streptococcus but should we vaccinate kids against strep throat?

Last edited:
I have never gotten a flu shot ... but I had all the childhood vaccinations and I made sure my kids did as well. But I think medical care (short of neglect) should be left up to some combination of parents, their kids (after a certain age) and their doctors.

There is no vaccine for scarlet fever, so I don't see the point of bringing that particular disease into the discussion.

LC mentioned it along with mumps and measles. There used to be such a vaccine but it was later dropped. Another one, which is supposed to offer "long-term protection" from scarlet fever, is being developed in Australia.

Not having kids, it's not an issue I've had to think about, but one I would personally choose for them is the TB one. Measles I'm not sure of, I've had measles myself and recovered quickly, although I know it can have very nasty complications, and is on the rise again. I had a rubella vaccination at senior school which I didn't see much point in having. Girls of the same age here are now vaccinated routinely against the virus that is linked to cervical cancer, too. I've had two flu shots as an adult, because I have asthma and have twice developed bronchitis from flu-type illnesses.

The sister of someone I knew at college suffered some form of brain damage after being given the MMR vaccination, and died a few years later. She was one of the test cases in the UK in the debate over the safety of the vaccination, but I don't know if it was ever conclusively linked to the vaccination.

One think to consider is that if while measles might not cause issues for you, it can cause problems for others. There is something to the thought of getting vaccinated to try to eradicate disease. There have recently been measles and Whooping Cough outbreaks near us ... in one case started by someone coming back from China and in the other mothers not vaccinated and passing it to their kids.

The thing is no vaccine provides 100% protection. Some of them, like the one against whooping cough, is thought to protect long-term, but studies show that five years after the jab, protection drops almost by half. At the sime time, serious side effects may happen in 1% of the cases, but if that happens to be my child, it's a 100% damage. I know this is a simplistic representation of things but I don't want to go into many details.

Back