Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

When I first got into Maiden, I heard Alexander the Great and The Clansman in a car (truck?) on the way from the Duke's place to my place. I was hooked, so I hopped on the computer, fired up Napster, and began downloading what I could find. What did I find? Lightning Strikes Twice, a really poorly ripped version of the Trooper, the version of FotD from A Real Live One, and the album version of Running Free. In fact, the most easily found Maiden songs were from Virtual XI. Before long I had Futureal, The Clansman, and When Two Worlds Collide. I still love VXI for this reason.

A few weeks later I was walking out of the record store with Best of the Beast 1 CD edition; I went back for Brave New World and Powerslave the next day. And, to be honest, I was wondering where those songs I loved from Napster fit in. It took the better part of a year before my collection was complete in terms of digital audio, and it took me 10 years to find CD versions of the Blaze stuff. No - longer, I only got them in 2011, so 11 or 12 years. Bought them immediately, btw.

But nothing reminds me of that "first Maiden thrill" like Lightning Strikes Twice.

Yea it took me a long time to find the Blaze albums too. In fact, I bought Virtual little over a week before The Final Frontier came out. So I remember it fondly because it was the perfect thing to ease the wait. :D

Singing When Two Worlds Collide at the top of my fucking lungs right now. Love this track. No, I can't explain why, but it rocks.

I have to admit, where I was in life affected the way I viewed/felt about the Blaze Maiden albums. Bruce and H had left, I was hip deep in a sucky marriage and crummy job; life wasn't that fun for me. I just didn't like any new music at the time..or anything. I was on here for a while before I went back and started to appreciate anything from the mid 90's on.

I think it's been 25 years that I've been listening to Maiden? Sheesh, I feel old :)

It's been a bit on and off for me. Discovered them in 1994 - listened to them pretty much from 1994 to about early 1997-ish. Then I got into heavier stuff didn't get back into Maiden again before I heard Brave New World was out with Bruce & Adrian back. Since then, I've had a couple of years here and there in between albums with little or no Maiden but that's how it is I guess :)

Wait, what? Powerslave isn't my least favourite Maiden album. I'm not sure where that idea came from. No Prayer is.

Admittedly, I don't like Powerslave as much as most others here - I think Losfer Words, The Duellists and mostly, Back in the Village are sub-par. But the other five songs make it a timeless classic nonetheless.

Maybe it was a few years ago? Doesn't matter anyway, I just had the idea that I have seen a post by you where Powerslave was #15.

When he said that, I thought he meant that as a joke. I don't know how Powerslave could be anyone's least favorite but I'm sure someone out there feels this way.

I remember the term "Fillerslave" being thrown around at one point. Maybe not on this forum, but I've heard that opinion before. Total blasphemy. :grumble:

I could probably agree with that. Though Dance Of Death has Gates Of Tomorrow, which isn't very good.

Back