Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My friend was advised to leave Facebook when she became a teacher, apparantly so that people (kids/teachers?) didn't see photos of her pissed up. Seems like a good idea all round for schoolkids not to be "friends" with their teacher on that site.
P.S. Hey, Perun! Photo, photo!

My sister's a teacher - well, a deputy head to be more precise - and she is more active on Facebook than anyone I know. So I guess it depends on the school as to whether they recommend teachers to not be on Facebook.

LooseCannon said:
What was he saying that was so bad?

He wasn't.  That was what originally confused me--  my ex got a 'pink slip' home (which is typically some sort of school disciplinary notice) about it, and she just told me he had been involved in a school 'cat fight' and had exacerbated it on facebook.  However, the reality was that his friend was called 'trailer trash' by some girls, so she had posted a picture of a crappy little camper and said that was where she lived- my son and others posted some sarcastic remarks about it.  Completely blown out of proportion (my ex thrives on drama like that).

I guess the facebook thing (for adult employees) only requires that one be mature and think about what they are posting. 

national acrobat said:
My friend was advised to leave Facebook when she became a teacher, apparantly so that people (kids/teachers?) didn't see photos of her pissed up. Seems like a good idea all round for schoolkids not to be "friends" with their teacher on that site.
When I had a high school position in my school board, I was constantly reminded to keep Facebook private and not share it with kids.  This was when Facebook was first becoming a hot place for online gathering.  I didn't have Facebook and still don't. 

Well, I view facebook like I view a lot of online gaming sources (like Xbox Live)-- its an open forum where little kids can be assholes and not get called out on it.  In school if you are an ass, you will get a response (possibly even physical).  Online, you can hide, be an ass, and laugh at it. 

It's harder to hide being an ass when your face is attached. However, Facebook should be treated as out of school, unless the kid is caught in the act of being an ass while post on Facebook on school grounds.

It reminds me of the case where the school in Pennsylvania sent home laptops with built in monitoring systems, and they used it to suspend a kid for popping tylenol. In his bedroom. At home.

It's warm out today. And the ground is finally getting dry. While this might be good news to some, it only means the arrival of yard work season to me...  :bigsmile:

My driveway looks like a lake!  a ton of snow melting and the water is just hanging out....  but, even tho its closer to yardwork season (yeah, i don't like it either, SMX), I'll take it.

Bro, you can keep that shit!  I've had All I want.  Last one, I had to shovel the damn driveway so I could get my car out.  bah.

That's one of the good things of urban life. No yard work.

However, that is better for the plants than for me. Any garden I'd lay hand on would die within a week anyway. I have abody count of cacti and other "unbreakable" plants that compares only to an average Rambo film. There's only one little tree that ever survived my care, and it's still alive five and a half years later. Without doubt, it's the toughest piece of botany I have ever known, and I truly admire it.  :wub:

LooseCannon said:
It reminds me of the case where the school in Pennsylvania sent home laptops with built in monitoring systems, and they used it to suspend a kid for popping tylenol. In his bedroom. At home.
Words cannot express how wrong that is on every friggin' level.

As for the change in weather, well, from where I stand spring is nearly here.

As I typed the phrase "from where I stand", it reminded me of an old Gillan song.

Mega said:
I want start listening to Helloween. Any recommendations?

Ignore Per.  Start with Keeper of the Seven Keys II  ... IMO, one of the best all time power metal albums. 

Ok, Awesome. But is there anything less, you know, Hardcore?
Starting with the second of two concept album of a band doesn't sound too great.

Normally you might be right, but Keeper II is Helloween's most famous and classic album. If you really don't want to, start with Keeper I or Walls of Jericho (their debut).

Better yet, if you want to start with only one track, check out Keeper of the Seven Keys off the Keeper II album. It is perhaps the greatest showcase of everything power metal ever was. In fact, I personally think it is the only power metal track you ever need to know... either that or Rebellion in Dreamland by Gamma Ray (same singer, incidentally).

But don't pay too much attention on my personal opinion. I don't like Helloween or power metal very much. Among other things, I don't like the singing. I understand everybody loves Michael Kiske, but I personally have never understood why. Not only is his shrieking so high that it hurts my ears (and I have never found any appeal in that), but I really can't tolerate his heavy German accent either (I know that sounds strange with me being German myself, but it's true). But if you like high singing and don't have a problem with the accent (or perhaps even find it exotic), then go check them out. As for Kai Hansen, I can bear him a little better, but I have never been able to take his voice seriously either. To me, he sounds like a character out of a children's cartoon.

I actually pretty much hate power metal vocalists, it's the first time I'm hearing they are a power band.
But okay, I'll give Keeprs 2 a listen.

Per spelled it out as well as I have ever heard, especially coming form someone that doesn't like Kiske.  The only thing I'd say is that I don't know how much of a 'concept' the whole album is.  It's named the same, and maybe someone knows better than I, but the songs don't seem to spell out anything to me.
Wait-- wasn't it Hansen that sang on Gamma Ray?  I think Kiske stayed with Helloween and Hansen left.

Back