Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

(Godwin discussion)

Isn't it too easy to run away from a discussion by saying --> "Hitler, now I quit!" Why would anyone want to do that? Especially when there are valid arguments.

Perun said:
Plus, why is it always necessary to compare?

That might exactly be the core of our difference of our opinion. I don't literally say it's always necessary, but I find it nonsense to avoid a comparison in all circumstances.

There simply isn't any other tableau, in history or fiction, that offers the same variety of evil and oppressive examples as the Third Reich. Why compare some propaganda to 1984 and some slaughter to Srebrenica when you can double down and link both of them to Nazism?*

(*In case anyone wonders about this alinea: I didn't make this up myself, I found it in this article, I just read).

I think it serves a discussion better, when counter arguments are made, in order to show why a comparison would be unjust to make.

Wasted CLV said:
Well, it has gotten worse.  We lost one brand forever.  I don't know what happened, but someone made a huge mistake.  I would estimate that it would account for close to 60% of our annual income in parts, service and sales.  I wouldn't say that it was a 'death blow' to the business, but it is on life support for a while.  Legal battles to follow.

Sounds like there is plenty of mismanagement happening at the shop as of late.
Forostar said:
There simply isn't any other tableau, in history or fiction, that offers the same variety of evil and oppressive examples as the Third Reich.

Soviet Union under Stalin and Lenin were just as bad.

Forostar said:
(Godwin discussion)

Isn't it too easy to run away from a discussion by saying --> "Hitler, now I quit!" Why would anyone want to do that? Especially when there are valid arguments.

It's not the matter of running away. As I said, when you deliver an argument and somebody counters by saying "that's what Hitler said", you just don't want to continue the discussion. I'm talking from experience. When I first heard about Godwin's Law, I said to myself "that's what I've been thinking all the time."

That might exactly be the core of our difference of our opinion. I don't literally say it's always necessary, but I find it nonsense to avoid a comparison in all circumstances.

I'm not saying you should avoid a comparison in all circumstances, I'm just saying that sometimes comparison is inappropriate. I am always very careful when I'm talking about suffer and death of people.

Look, it's possible that this is a German trait of mine. As a German, I deal with this subject matter differently, because I have a different perspective on it than all the rest of you do. That is sometimes difficult to imagine because we're on the same level all the time.

Perun said:
Look, it's possible that this is a German trait of mine. As a German, I deal with this subject matter differently, because I have a different perspective on it than all the rest of you do. That is sometimes difficult to imagine because we're on the same level all the time.

That probably plays an important role indeed.

Bah, its Monday.  Dead and boring.  At least I'll be off tomorrow, work Wed, off Thurs and back Fri.  "The busiest shopping day of the year"  has no affect on me.

The only thing that is nice about Mondays is that Monday nite is just like Saturday night... no work following. 

And I'm not even half way through a 2 week break. :D

But there is so much to do at home (decorating wise), I'm not resting. :(

LooseCannon said:
Tomorrow is the last day at work, then 2 off......gonna be rough to get through.

To get through the last day at work or the 2 days off?

Albie said:
And I'm not even half way through a 2 week break. :D

But there is so much to do at home (decorating wise), I'm not resting. :(

I hear that!  I'm doing full scale house cleaning so we can put up the xmas stuff over the next week. 

My grandmother got robbed yesterday. 50 meters from her building. Some lowlife idiot sneaked behind her back and stole her purse. She fell and broke her arm. She was just on top of the stairway, if she was a meter back, she'd be probably in hospital right now, or even worse...

Police found her purse somewhere, with all documents and stuff, he stole some money and her cellphone. The exact amount is equivalent to 6-7 euros, and the cellphone is worth 30-40 euros, at most...

In any case, she is fairly OK, nothing that serious, but if i get my hands on that sucker (i don't know who he is, but i'll try to find out), i'm gonna kill him.

Wow, that is a bad deal.  Glad that she is doing ok-- is that neighborhood known for that or just bad luck?

Zare said:
...but if i get my hands on that sucker (i don't know who he is, but i'll try to find out), i'm gonna kill him.
Whilst I can't condone what that person did and I'm really sorry for your grand-mother, I wouldn't fester on this either. It won't do you any good.

Zare said:
My grandmother got robbed yesterday. 50 meters from her building. Some lowlife idiot sneaked behind her back and stole her purse. She fell and broke her arm. She was just on top of the stairway, if she was a meter back, she'd be probably in hospital right now, or even worse...

Police found her purse somewhere, with all documents and stuff, he stole some money and her cellphone. The exact amount is equivalent to 6-7 euros, and the cellphone is worth 30-40 euros, at most...

In any case, she is fairly OK, nothing that serious, but if i get my hands on that sucker (i don't know who he is, but i'll try to find out), i'm gonna kill him.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

Well, after few days i'm a bit cooler. Anyway, i'd still rip his head off if i knew who he was.

...is that neighborhood known for that or just bad luck?

Seems like a random dopehead trying to get his late afternoon smack.
No, actually the neighborhood is fine. That's even worse - people aren't safe even in front of their homes.

That is too bad, really.  I bitch a lot about how little there is to do in my neck of the woods, however, my kids are safe alone at my house in the evening. 

Back