Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Wasted CLV said:
I did, however, pick up the new Star Trek tonite.
I got my copy the other day as well. It's still in its clear plastic cover. Yet to be viewed. I'm not going to rush to see it as I need to make sure I can spare the two or so uninterrupted hours to watch it.

Genghis Khan said:
That must be a BIG deal to you.

Yeah, it was necessary to clear some of the debt load, but I'll miss it.  It will take me a year (at least) to get another one. 

Albie said:
I got my copy the other day as well. It's still in its clear plastic cover. Yet to be viewed. I'm not going to rush to see it as I need to make sure I can spare the two or so uninterrupted hours to watch it.

I get that!  My phone kept ringing all through it (i didn't answer).

Yeah, the week it opened, I rode down and watched it.  I could have stayed and watched it again, it was so good.  Instead, I went home an put in my DVD of TOS to watch for the rest of the eve.  I think I stated in the 'now watching', but I'm really looking forward to what they are going to do with this!

I got out-Godwinned by an Iranian today.

Me: "I picked up some books about Khomeini for my presentation yesterday, but I'm not really satisfied with them."
Her: "How so?"
Me: "They have obvious political tendencies. I'd rather have something neutral as well."
Her: "They're not writing neutral books about Hitler either, are they?"
Me: "You said the H-word."
Her: "You said the Kh-word."

How bout this scenario:  you are a computer store selling PC's and Mac's.  PC's are going to be the bulk of you business, in sales and service, right?  Then, lets say that one day you walk into work and you can't sell PC's anymore.  A good 65% of your business is no longer accessible.  That, in essence, is what happened at the shop I work at-- just with motorcycles.

Wasted CLV said:
How bout this scenario:  you are a computer store selling PC's and Mac's.  PC's are going to be the bulk of you business, in sales and service, right?  Then, lets say that one day you walk into work and you can't sell PC's anymore.  A good 65% of your business is no longer accessible.  That, in essence, is what happened at the shop I work at-- just with motorcycles.

What do you mean?

Well, it has gotten worse.  We lost one brand forever.  I don't know what happened, but someone made a huge mistake.  I would estimate that it would account for close to 60% of our annual income in parts, service and sales.  I wouldn't say that it was a 'death blow' to the business, but it is on life support for a while.  Legal battles to follow.

Speaking about motorcycles: Have you tried to kiss a girl this way before, Wasted?

Stunt_kiss.jpg

LooseCannon said:
Ho fuck!  Which brand?

Honda.  I'm not too happy. 

@EW, not, I can't do that (have a friend that does it easily, tho)

@Albie, no, its not good.  I may have to find something else, this doesn't feel safe.

I'm kinda saying the same thing.... I don't have a good answer yet.  Plus, it negates the 'buy-sell' that is in place, so the legal battle that goes with re-writing the purchase is going to be nightmarish... :blink:

Perun said:
I got out-Godwinned by an Iranian today.

Me: "I picked up some books about Khomeini for my presentation yesterday, but I'm not really satisfied with them."
Her: "How so?"
Me: "They have obvious political tendencies. I'd rather have something neutral as well."
Me: "You said the H-word."
Her: "You said the Kh-word."

Interesting. Still, I wish this Godwin stuff was never invented. It stops discussions too early when someone goes "you can't say that!" How else can we compare with (aspects of) that dark period?

About this part:

That depends. There are many facts about him and I guess there are some good biographies out there. Iran got never conquered since Khomeini, there's no freedom of press, and there's probably a lot more left to be discovered, compared with research about Hitler.

Forostar said:
Interesting. Still, I wish this Godwin stuff was never invented. It stops discussions too early when someone goes "you can't say that!" How else can we compare with (aspects of) that dark period?

It is a cheap deadbeat argument. It brands you a nazi if you maintain your argument, and therefore nobody wants to continue the discussion when the H-bomb is dropped. It doesn't even matter if it's appropriate or not. There are plenty of more sophisticated arguments available that let you dive deeper into the subject.
It doesn't mean you can't talk about Hitler or what he did. It's just that the argument that is Hitler is like beating you dead with a club. Plus, why is it always necessary to compare? I never understood that.

That depends. There are many facts about him and I guess there are some good biographies out there. Iran got never conquered since Khomeini, there's no freedom of press, and there's probably a lot more left to be discovered, compared with research about Hitler.

That was never the point... besides, there is neutral literature about both Hitler and Khomeini. Our talk wasn't 100% serious.

I think the point of a Godwin fail is that you are hard-pressed to compare Hitler to anyone, especially the shit we talk about on the internet.

BUT.  We should remember what Godwin's Law actually says: "That as an internet discussion increases in length, the likelyhood of Hitler being mentioned approaches 1."

Back