Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Perun said:
Tomorrow's Tuesday... that's worse. And all my efforts to make tomorrow more bearable failed. Fuck.

Tomorrow I'm off, taking my kid to get the permanant cast.  Then computer work at home for the afternoon.  I don't mind Tuesday as much as I hate Wed!

The catch with this day is that it's also my brother's birthday. So we went to a great Thai restaurant, and that was enough, mind you... especially after a long day with lectures till 20:00.

Oh yeah, maybe I could mention what I got my brother for his birthday: A ticket to the Dio gig in Reichenbach on 19. December.  :yey:

Tomorrow I'm off, taking my kid to get the permanant cast.  Then computer work at home for the afternoon.  I don't mind Tuesday as much as I hate Wed!

Sounds bearable, yeah. Usually, my Tuesdays are OK, except that I've got an exam tomorrow. Bleh.

No, but I heard the story from several people today. ;)

Anyway, off to bed... hard day tomorrow. Cheerio!

Look what I found on my little whatamacallit (in bold).  :lol:

Genghis Khan
Old Timer

User rating: 102

Just got back from the Remembrance Day ceremony here in town.  Sadness - there is a Silver Cross mother here.  But also a man just back from 9 months in Kandahar - less sadness.  When he laid a wreath the town clapped, and the fellow was shocked, and he looked very moved.

My kids are out of school for Veterans day-- but the kids in Iowa aren't.  Weird how dif states treat that. 

My son got his permanant cast on yesterday.  Goofball, I think he wants 1984 back, 'cause he got it in hot pink.  :blink:

I'd agree.  As one friend said " I couldn't be sitting on this computer, typing this, if it weren't for the men and women of the Armed Forces that gave me that freedom."

Well, let's be honest here.  The US hasn't actually been in a war that threatened its existence since the war that brought it into existence, save for the Civil War.  It's not really about freedoms.  Those have always been secured.  America, however, has fought time and again for the freedoms of others.  I think that's the rub we should push.

I think that is exactly correct.  However, don't disregard the feelings that most middle class Americans feel:  they think that had our people not been over in Bosnia, Iraq, or wherever, and done their job there, we would be facing more here on our shores.  I agree with what you are saying, but I also know what many of my friends think as well.

The kids here pay homage to our veterans in school gyms and auditoriums.  The presentations are a combination of many forms, sometimes having a war veteran coming in to make a speech. 

LooseCannon said:
Just got back from the Remembrance Day ceremony here in town.  Sadness - there is a Silver Cross mother here.  But also a man just back from 9 months in Kandahar - less sadness.  When he laid a wreath the town clapped, and the fellow was shocked, and he looked very moved.

@LC, I think you might be particularly interested in this.

I just saw a nice item about Canadian Remembrance Day. This year's theme on Canadian schools is: Holland in WWII. There's a huge plan for next year (4th of May) to send around 7000 Canadian students to the Netherlands to honour the same number of buried Canadian soldiers in my country.

Plan: Near every grave there will be a Canadian student, together with a Dutch student, both remembering the fallen one.

Tomorrow I'll try to post a link to the program in the World War topic.

LooseCannon said:
Well, let's be honest here.  The US hasn't actually been in a war that threatened its existence since the war that brought it into existence, save for the Civil War.  It's not really about freedoms.  Those have always been secured.  America, however, has fought time and again for the freedoms of others.  I think that's the rub we should push.

It could have turned pretty nasty in the Second World War, I think.

Nevertheless, these occasions are pretty odd. Most of the time, the American, the Dutchman, the Canuck and I are all alike and the same, but suddenly, there is a difference. A difference of perspective, that is.

Foro - thank you for sharing that.  Somehow, our countries managed to twist together their destinies for those short years in 1944 and 1945.  I hope it's a bond of friendship that never breaks.  When I was 16 or so, I was at the Duke's place.  His grandmother was living there at the time, his grandfather passed away in 1995, but had fought in the Scheldt and in Holland, among other places.  We got to watch as members of the Dutch community came and awarded his grandmother a special medal on behalf of her husband.  A very touching moment.

Back