LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that best version of the song was during the 99 tour. Last time I heard such a full sound at a Maiden show. The Wickerbland single had some live song versions from that tour. Then BNW tour was as if the 3 guitars became thin ovenight.

The intro riff in TWOTW is played only by Adrian and Dave at first and then also by Janick (like in the studio version, I guess). The main riff (aka the horn line) is played by the Three Amigos (unlike in the studio where according to Adrian, only he and Janick play this part). The riff before the start of the verses and the drums is played only by Adrian, as expected. The melody before Adrian's solo is played only by him and Janick.

Btw, I like the way Dave plays his solo.

There are a lot of guitar layers in the studio version of WOTW, It kind of pisses me off seeing Dave so underused. Just smiling and holding single chords.

There are a lot of guitar layers in the studio version of WOTW, It kind of pisses me off seeing Dave so underused. Just smiling and holding single chords.
That's basically how Maiden use 3 guitars nowadays. Janick plays the high line, H plays the low one and Dave plays chords. See TRATB (basically the whole song), very end of TBOS, TWOTW, Speed Of Light (reversed roles of Jan and H, but still), IESF (bar the intro melody) etc...

-- for example they could have changed (at least) Revelations, since the Cathedral backdrop is used for Blood Brothers and the song is not with a ''busy'' stage prop. They can change it with anything, I mean Blood Brothers is out of place in the Cathedral set.

Well, Revelations is quite integral part of the LOTB thing and in my opinion, pretty much the best way to introduce the Cathedral set. It's also quite comfortable for Bruce. Of course I also understand wishes for more variation.

Given that the "themes" were loose to begin with, and even more on this particular leg, I think Blood Brothers sits there just fine. Revelations, Blood Brothers, Sign of the Cross and Flight of Icarus form quite brilliant and versatile section in the set and I personally felt that they went down extremely well in the show I attended, so I might be a bit biased. ;)

I just realized something: the stage set for the Senjutsu realm is the one that we can find in the the album's gatefold artwork! o_O

-> Click here.

This is a surprise. I like it a lot, but I wish they will make a new one (castles, walls, flags, stone towers... something like this) for the album tour, although I doubt it (because they revealed it for LOTB tour). We can see a bit of the wall decor at both sides end of the current stage.

I was thinking, if the stage set is the same, the rooftops will block the view of Bruce, when he sings above the drums?

Last edited:

Not only Dave, all three. Have you noticed how the soloing (tone) of Janick went south from BNW fwd? Yet post BNW Maiden is greater than the sum of its parts. Under-usage of the three amigos during lives is the price to pay for post BNW, one of most consistent periods Metal music ever had.
Never even a reunion lasted for so long and produced such mega albums. It will be all crystal clear when it’s all over and Maiden will get at last the amount of praise they deserve.

Not only Dave, all three. Have you noticed how the soloing (tone) of Janick went south from BNW fwd? Yet post BNW Maiden is greater than the sum of its parts. Under-usage of the three amigos during lives is the price to pay for post BNW, one of most consistent periods Metal music ever had.
Never even a reunion lasted for so long and produced such mega albums. It will be all crystal clear when it’s all over and Maiden will get at last the amount of praise they deserve.

I do agree with you for the most part. Maiden are still alive and doing well worldwide. I however do not think that the albums they did created any real buzz. Indeed the reunion has a greated impact that the sum of its' parts...and this is due to their amazing back catalog of classic material. Of course if they did not produce new material they would havew been over by now. Still their newest albums leave a lot to be desired...but I do not really want to go through all of it again. I am deeply sad with the way they use their players At least they did onee really good album (Senjutsu) which is still way below their old standards. This is for the most part due to their incredibly bad production value and lifeless renditions of the songs in the studio. All could have been so much better if they just got someone with some personality behind the recording desk.

I do agree with you for the most part. Maiden are still alive and doing well worldwide. I however do not think that the albums they did created any real buzz. Indeed the reunion has a greated impact that the sum of its' parts...and this is due to their amazing back catalog of classic material. Of course if they did not produce new material they would havew been over by now. Still their newest albums leave a lot to be desired...but I do not really want to go through all of it again. I am deeply sad with the way they use their players At least they did onee really good album (Senjutsu) which is still way below their old standards. This is for the most part due to their incredibly bad production value and lifeless renditions of the songs in the studio. All could have been so much better if they just got someone with some personality behind the recording desk.
Love it or hate it, the modern maiden production style is how Steve wants them to sound. A lot of blame is thrown Kevin Shirley's way by people who would prefer an Andy Sneap style production job, but I find it hard to believe that the band, Steve in particular, would work with a producer who tried to tell them what to do or put their own stamp on their sound.

Love it or hate it, the modern maiden production style is how Steve wants them to sound. A lot of blame is thrown Kevin Shirley's way by people who would prefer an Andy Sneap style production job, but I find it hard to believe that the band, Steve in particular, would work with a producer who tried to tell them what to do or put their own stamp on their sound.
Bruce said this pretty much. That they are too set in their ways and too stubborn. They couldn't let Bob Rock do for them what he did for Metallica, Bruce commented.

He could at least get a groove regardless of the sound. all the albums they did with him benefit from a 5-8% speeding up. This was never the case with Martin. Simple as that.

I just realized something: the stage set for the Senjutsu realm is the one that we can find in the the album's gatefold artwork! o_O

-> Click here.

This is a surprise. I like it a lot, but I wish they will make a new one (castles, walls, flags, stone towers) for the album tour, although I doubt it (because they revealed it for LOTB tour). We can see a bit of the wall decor at both sides end of the current stage.

I was thinking, if the stage set is the same, the rooftops will block the view of Bruce, when he sings above the drums?
I think the main castle roof will be a permanent set fixture for the proper tour. The pagodas will be solid rather than inflatables as well.

You're spot on here and they've explained this so many times that I just don't understand how so many fans still don't get it ... :facepalm:

No need to even mention LAD
Back in 2018 Aces High was so much better in the first place
Yes, of course it's better and even compared with every performance I think it's quite ok. The Ed Hunter tour ones were also really good and during the SBIT the band delivered it nicelly. But when it comes to the 84/85 period I think the only recording during where I sense Bruce struggling a bit is on the LAD video version (and even there it's awesome). On the other hand in RIR 85 he's so on fire: he oversings some parts (mainly the pre chorus) but the intensity he lands every single word on the verses, the vibrato and man... those improvisations on the second chorus (that note he releases after "live to fly"... OH MY GOD!). I mean it's mental!!! And every single version of it I listened to in bootlegs during the World Slavery Tour are amazing too. Not to mention my absolute favorite: the record version of LAD that - be it due to overdubs or not - is IMO absolute perfection.

I think that best version of the song was during the 99 tour. Last time I heard such a full sound at a Maiden show. The Wickerbland single had some live song versions from that tour. Then BNW tour was as if the 3 guitars became thin ovenight.
Aces High live in Madrid 99 was featured on the b side of Out Of The Silent Planet.

You're spot on here and they've explained this so many times that I just don't understand how so many fans still don't get it ... :facepalm:
Nothing to do with how somebody other might supposedly try to make them sound. Kevin is kept because he encourages their complacency when it comes to songwriting. Good boy, tap on the shoulder, anything goes. Take TFF, no proper vocal hook until the last song. They worked more on those vocal lines on the last two albums and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back