LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
It added a human element to the show and I also sincerely appreciate that it happened during "Run to the Hills", my least favorite song in the set. :D
I didn't notice the sound issues from where I was standing.

Bruce needs to take more German lessons. He wanted to tell us something about ”ein kleines Scheißhaus”.
I don't see the point why he should. :nonono: There are more important things he should do. For example making it clear to Harris to finally get themselves a proper producer and sack Shirley.

Last edited:
In the spirit of not dying on a poorly chosen and unnuanced hill I'm going to revisit Empire of the Clouds with an open mind and try to prove myself I'm wrong in thinking it's plodding and bloated.

Sigh. Kevin Shirley is a great producer. Steve Harris is a terrible co-producer. It's as simple as that.
Up to this point nobody yet was able to expain in an understandable way to me what makes Kevin Shirley a great producer. Okay, they boys seem to like him and can't stop telling "Kevin is a great producer". Fine so far. I fully understand that a band itself has to be comfortable with their producer. But the results sound far from what Maiden could sound. I also can see that it's obviously a matter of personal taste on a very subjective level, but even Bruces Balls To Picasso has an overall greater sound than each of Maidens reunion albums does have - and that album was done almost 30 years ago. Let's argue about the songwriting on it if you will, but at least it has a great sound that fits the album perfectly fine - and this brings us right to point about each and every Shirely problem with Maiden IMHO: I can't see him even trying to catch the Maiden sound that would suit the band fine. To me his productions on Maiden sound lifeless and synthetic in a strange way.

Long story short: I loved every second. ...

I had some irrational thoughts about it being a warm but not humid night, and that therefore there was no reason to stop before sunrise, as the Maiden catalog is long enough.
We then decided to walk home to take the atmosphere and the music with us better than in a noisy bus.

In the spirit of not dying on a poorly chosen and unnuanced hill I'm going to revisit Empire of the Clouds with an open mind and try to prove myself I'm wrong in thinking it's plodding and bloated.
When it comes to feel, building an atmosphere, and drawing a picture through music, “Empire of the Clouds” is unmatched. Its repetition drives the story, nothing is out of place.

Up to this point nobody yet was able to expain in an understandable way to me what makes Kevin Shirley a great producer. Okay, they boys seem to like him and can't stop telling "Kevin is a great producer". Fine so far. I fully understand that a band itself has to be comfortable with their producer. But the results sound far from what Maiden could sound. I also can see that it's obviously a matter of personal taste on a very subjective level, but even Bruces Balls To Picasso has an overall greater sound than each of Maidens reunion albums does have - and that album was done almost 30 years ago. Let's argue about the songwriting on it if you will, but at least it has a great sound that fits the album perfectly fine - and this brings us right to point about each and every Shirely problem with Maiden: I can't see him even trying to catch the Maiden sound that would suit the band fine. To me his productions on Maiden sound lifeless and synthetic in a strange way.
You could you know, check his catalogue. His Dream Theater stuff for instance is some of the best sounding stuff they have.

And sure, Balls is a nice sounding record. But you'd never get a Maiden record sounding like that so I can't see that as a relevant comparison for one. And if you don't think BNW sounds great, then what's the point. Now, I personally only love BNW and AMOLAD's production (and the top end lift of the remaster does it good), but I credit a lot of the less than stellar stuff to Steve. We've seen his record, and we know that Shirley was given quite a bit of leeway on BNW, which is generally appreciated for its sound.

And holy shit, how good does Aerosmith's Nine Lives sound?

Wonder who produced that one. Maybe Shirley could take some lessons from whoever did. :D :rolleyes:

Also, Kevin has some obvious great gut instincts, from an artistic perspective too. We can credit him for getting Black Country Communion together. Sounds like a thing a great producer could do.

Just like its three predecessors, "BCCIV" was overseen by producer Kevin Shirley, who originally had the idea of putting Hughes and Bonamassa in a band after seeing them jamming together onstage in Los Angeles back in November 2009."

- https://blabbermouth.net/news/no-new-black-country-communion-album-before-2022-at-the-earliest''

Edit: Oh. The Black Crowes stuff is really good too.

Last edited:
Although not usually a fan of the new stuff, I'm mostly hyped for the three first songs. I saw this tour back in 2018 too so...
But yeah all 3 of them sound very good in the videos I saw, probably the highlight of this leg. They seriously need to produce their next studio work better tho

Well hes hardly going to come out and say he hates the production and Steve doesn't know what the Fuck hes doing in that co producer chair now is he :p

He has done so indirectly. For instance when he praises Bob Rock, but implies that in Maiden he would be fired, or that Kevin is the only one to cope with them.
He outlines some idiotic behavior by the leadership that makes it difficult for others to last.
He essentially says we got the best “possible” production we could have.
It’s not the same as to say we got the best production period.

I mean just listen to Senjutsu the production flaws are all over the place and you know it’s not Kevin’s fault. He’s an outstanding engineer, it’s co-producer’s art.

I mean just listen to Senjutsu the production flaws are all over the place and you know it’s not Kevin’s fault. He’s an outstanding engineer, it’s co-producer’s art.
Senjutsu sounds brilliant in spots, but the sonic presentation is pretty uneven and more varied between songs than normal. I mean, listen to The Parchment. Way more low mids (meat) and less top end than the first half of the album. I've been meaning to finish my personal tweak of the vinyl to remedy this, but haven't gotten around to it.

The Writing On The Wall, that's where it sounds brilliant throughout though.

Last edited:
Senjutsu sounds brilliant in spots, but the sonic presentation is pretty uneven and more varied between songs than normal. I mean, listen to The Parchment. Way more low mids (meat) and less top end than the first half of the album. I've been meaning to finish my personal tweak of the vinyl to remedy this, but haven't gotten around to it.

Agreed. Stratego sounds like a blanket is covering the speakers!

Yup. I wonder how TBOS and Senjutsu would sound if someone got the multitracks and was just told to mix it how he thinks it's best, without Steve sitting there. I have no doubt that the recording is engineered great, however what comes after is questionable.

If the rest of Senjutsu sounded as good as TWOTW does, I would have been very happy. At the same time though, I'm still very happy Maiden isn't going for the Sneap/Bogren metal type of sound. Maiden with Shirley have always had the general mindset right, in how drums should sound like real drums and the band should sound like they do live (oh, and Shirley's live albums? Awesome. Flight 666, En Vivo and RiR are perfection). They just don't always reach the finish line. For instance, I think the general sonic idea of DoD is great. They went after a more modern, Powerslave-esque sound (roomy drums, upper midrange guitars). They just didn't arrive, although the remaster is a fair step towards so. Shirley would have if Steve had let him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back