Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronnie James Dio will always be the greatest metal singer to me. But Bruce and Rob Halford are not too far behind. They are the 3 greatest.
But he's nowhere near as emotional as Bruce. It's easy to sound great when you stand rooted to the spot singing every song with the same voice without trying to show your emotions - that's what I personally never liked about Dio, though his voice is very strong, but opera singers for instance have much more powerful voices, but the same lack of emotions is a big minus.

But he's nowhere near as emotional as Bruce. It's easy to sound great when you stand rooted to the spot singing every song with the same voice without trying to show your emotions - that's what I personally never liked about Dio, though his voice is very strong, but opera singers for instance have much more powerful voices, but the same lack of emotions is a big minus.

I just watched my Rainbow 1977 concert DVD. RJD is full of emotion and power in his singing, very passionate. Or watch Lonely Is the Word video from the Heaven and Hell DVD from New York. Incredibly emotional. Here it is:

Also listen to Tony Iommi’s incredible solo. Maiden is the greatest, but they don’t make music like this. (No one does.)

I love RJD, even more than Bruce. But Bruce is the 2nd greatest. And Bruce has never been and will never be “bad”.

His voice sounds all the same to me on every song, sorry mate. Emotions and Ronnie never went together, to say nothing of stage performance. I like his vocals, but there are many great vocalists, very few of them can act on stage, not just sing.

His voice sounds all the same to me on every song, sorry mate. Emotions and Ronnie never went together, to say nothing of stage performance. I like his vocals, but there are many great vocalists, very few of them can act on stage, not just sing.

Okay, that’s your opinion, and I respect it. Everyone’s ears hear differently. But to me it’s bizarre to say RJD’s singing is not emotional. Never heard that criticism before. I love RJD and miss him tremendously.

And someone criticized him for his medleys in concert, but I love his medleys. I wish Maiden would do medleys. They may be “cheesy”, but they’re awesome.

In any case, Ronnie is gone. So by default now Bruce is the greatest. :)

I like Dio and his great voice, but i tend to agree with you. Many times his singing sounds emotionless to me.

Okay, that’s your opinion, and I respect it. Everyone’s ears hear differently. But to me it’s bizarre to say RJD’s singing is not emotional. Never heard that criticism before. I love RJD and miss him tremendously.

And someone criticized him for his medleys in concert, but I love his medleys. I wish Maiden would do medleys. They may be “cheesy”, but they’re awesome.

No problem mate, that's just my POV and my perception.
When I want to listen to a really good voice, I play this
A rock vocalist is much more than just a good singing.
Anyway Ronnie is the only rock vocalist that made me doubt for a while whether I really like Bruce more than him :) Bruce won of course, but still, no one else among rock vocalists managed this.

No problem mate, that's just my POV and my perception.
When I want to listen to a really good voice, I play this
A rock vocalist is much more than just a good singing.
Anyway Ronnie is the only rock vocalist that made me doubt for a while whether I really like Bruce more than him :) Bruce won of course, but still, no one else among rock vocalists managed this.

Talking about emotional singing and Ronnie I immediately thought about these two songs. I find his singing in both extremely emotional (specially the first that almost makes me cry every time I listen to it) but as you said each of us has his own perception and opinion :)

Why are we debating the passion and emotion of Ronnie James Dio? He and Bruce are more vocally emotional than virtually every other person in the genre. They are different in how they evoke those emotions (Bruce is very external and pushes his emotions out through his skin, Dio was very internal and let everything bubble up through his throat), but both are the absolute pinnacle of evocative singers.

Why are we debating the passion and emotion of Ronnie James Dio? He and Bruce are more vocally emotional than virtually every other person in the genre. They are different in how they evoke those emotions (Bruce is very external and pushes his emotions out through his skin, Dio was very internal and let everything bubble up through his throat), but both are the absolute pinnacle of evocative singers.

So true ... one of the things I like best about Maiden is they really tell stories in so many ways more than just the lyrics ... and Bruce is a massive part of that Each song is like mini-musical theater (only it also really rocks)

Cool little detail during the first chorus of Sign of the Cross. The stage goes dark when Bruce lights the cross.

That was me I think. I just don't care for rock medleys. I didn't like when Metallica used to do it either. Play the whole song if you're going to play it. I really doubt we will see Maiden do any, I remember Steve said one time he didn't like them.

That's not a bass solo in the sense we've been discussing in this thread. That's part of a song, it's simply the "Blood On the World's Hands" intro.

Er.... that's obvious, and that is perhaps the only thing close to Bass Solo live we will ever get !

Anyone know what Bruce says at the start of the song ?
I think he says "Come on, you pagans!" I think he did it on every gig since
Nikcelsdorf (not sure, didn't watch every concert video of the tour)
Personally, I found it very interesting, it shows that Wickerman is part of religion sequence of the setlist.

and that is perhaps the only thing close to Bass Solo live we will ever get
If I'm not wrong, Steve played some solo sequence on the bass on Ruskin Arms bootleg from 1981, one of the first concerts with Bruce, it also has Prisoner and HBTN takes.

Last edited:

Exactly. Both are (were, in Ronnie's case :() very emotional singers, but in different ways.

Jan played the Revelations solo in Copenhagen, so I assume it was H in Trondheim.
Have they been rotating all the time?

How often did Janick do it, and how often Adrian?

Any other rotating/changing elements in the show during this year's tour? Songs song changing position or anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back