LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It wouldn't be the same. Maiden could play three hours if Steve sedately stood in the corner and strummed his bass. If Bruce stood at the microphone and didn't move. If Janick didn't do anything crazy. If Dave didn't smile.

That sounds like a soulless dead concert to me.

Yup. Dave without smiling and nodding is esentially a manekin.

Exactly. It wouldn't be the same. Maiden could play three hours if Steve sedately stood in the corner and strummed his bass. If Bruce stood at the microphone and didn't move. If Janick didn't do anything crazy. If Dave didn't smile.

Adrian barely moves, and he's not a soulless performer. For a longer performance, they wouldn't have to be motionless and dead. Maybe just Bruce wouldn't be running and leaping so much. Who cares? Do Bruce's leaps make a Maiden concert? I'd rather have more music and less jumping around. But.. this is a pointless discussion, because it's not going to happen. I shut up now..

I've had the good fortune to see IM with a lot of great bands:

Testament (1992)
Fear Factory (1996)
Queensryche/Halford (2000)
Dio/Motorhead (2003)
Dream Theater (2010)
Alice Cooper (2012)

In addition, I saw a rare semi-headlining set at Ozzfest 2005 when Ozzy fell ill, and thus IM was able to do an extended set. Not as long as when they headlined in Europe, but about 20 minutes and four songs longer than what they had been doing on the Ozzfest gigs. Unfortunately, not much outside of IM was memorable, except for perhaps Rob Zombie headlining the second stage.

hmm, let's admit that Dave would smile in any case. :):)

Best opener I saw for a Maiden show was Arch Enemy in 2003. I had never heard them before and was pretty blown away. All of the nepotism bands sucked. Ghost was wannabe-satanic garbage, in my opinion.

Maiden should drop the opening bands and start doing 3 hour shows.
Adrian barely moves, and he's not a soulless performer. For a longer performance, they wouldn't have to be motionless and dead. Maybe just Bruce wouldn't be running and leaping so much. Who cares? Do Bruce's leaps make a Maiden concert? I'd rather have more music and less jumping around. But.. this is a pointless discussion, because it's not going to happen. I shut up now..
At least you finished with something sensible!

Iron Maiden's concerts are far too energetic for three hours and I doubt Bruce and Nicko could handle three hours now they're in their sixties. Other, less energetic and dramatic, bands can do three hours - or sets close to that length anyway. Blind Guardian headline shows are 2.5 hours, but Hansi Kursch doesn't hurtle around the stage - instead he moves laterally in a more sedate fashion (similar to Simone Simons). Avantasia can play three hours because they have about 50 singers. Helloween have been playing three hours on the Pumpkins Reunited tour, but their singers take turns and there's a bunch of annoying videos which gives the band a break. I've seen Dream Theater do long sets (with an interval) but John Myung and John Petrucci are hardly hyperactive performers. Anthrax did two sets last year but Joey Belladonna's vocal style probably isn't as physically demanding as Bruce Dickinson's.

An extra hour or so onto an Iron Maiden show would also mean more planning for theatrics, backdrops and lights - a hell of a lot more more and also more expensive for the concert-goers. I also find three hour shows quite tough to endure. 1.5-2 hours is about the maximum most people can focus on.

P.S. How come Arch Enemy aren't Satanic? :confused:

At least you finished with something sensible!...

P.S. How come Arch Enemy aren't Satanic? :confused:

Are they? I haven’t followed them that closely and don’t recall anything satanic about their show in 2003, but if they are, that’s disappointing. I guess the pretty little blonde lady singer growling like a huge demon might have been a giveaway..

Are they? I haven’t followed them that closely and don’t recall anything satanic about their show in 2003, but if they are, that’s disappointing. I guess the pretty little blonde lady singer growling like a huge demon might have been a giveaway..
I don't follow them closely either, but a quick inspection of their lyrics suggests they are at least as lyrically "satanic" as Ghost, and less tongue-in-cheek.

Besides, I can’t remember the last time a Satanist had some fun with the altar boys. :innocent:

Actually, those priests are satanists, not real Catholics. There was massive infiltration of the Church throughout the 20th century. The corruption runs deep, but the dogma of the religion remains sound.

At least we have Nicko on our team. Would love to get Bruce, but he’s still fascinated by strange alchemy..

Actually, those priests are satanists, not real Catholics. There was massive infiltration of the Church throughout the 20th century. The corruption runs deep, but the dogma of the religion remains sound.

At least we have Nicko on our team. Would love to get Bruce, but he’s still fascinated by strange alchemy..
Please, stop embarrassing yourself. Thank you.

Ghost was wannabe-satanic garbage, in my opinion.

:applause:

For an inept crossover of Mercyful Fate and Keane with pretty much only the blasphemic/Satanic-shtick fuctioning properly (and even that one being pretty goofy), they surely are an overrated band.

I admit that when I first saw them opening for Maiden, I was somewhat amused throughout, mainly because it was about 40 degrees and they were performing in all that black garb so I wondered when one of them'll collapse. Also, Forge was funny, because he sounded like an esoteric Smurf and kept beating his chest as if he was fighting back a heart attack. Talk about stage presence.

But okay, I'll be fair and admit I like Elizabeth, Ritual, Cirice and I'm a Marionette. But that's only, like, four songs, one of which is a cover anyway and those still aren't even that great anyway. Give me a fucking break with that band. I mean, Rats sounds like an unfortunately begotten child of Accept and Ultravox and I don't mean that in a good way. What the fuck?

And no, it's not because of my beliefs - Mercyful Fate are as Satanic as they come and they would blow these dipshits away in two seconds. Same goes for Therion, Emperor, Deathspell Omega or Tiamat.

TLDR - Maiden have shitty opening bands, Ghost included, at least in Europe. Man, what would I give for a concert where the opening act would be Dream Theater or effin' Alice Cooper <3

Bruce, but he’s still fascinated by strange alchemy..

Well, yeah, apart from the fact his lyrics are mostly just ... well, a bunch of nonsense (I made this point earlier and I don't want to repeat myself), his obsessive devotion to Crowley or the strange interpretation of Blake and other shit makes it hard for me to take him seriously. It's actually the only negative thing I have to say about both Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding (apart from maybe some unwise track sequencing in the former). Were it not for the lyrics, I would almost proudly elevate those two even above most Maiden albums. Come on, Bruce, sing about airships and stuff, that's what you do well.

EDIT: Oh, wait..

No. Those priests are the furthest thing from Satanists. One of the Satanic laws is explicitly: “Do not harm little children.” The Church and it’s followers need to start owning up the the shit they’ve been doing and supporting and stop blaming some made-up entity for their fucked-up acts.

:facepalm:

Never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back