Janick does mention in RTTH that Dee Snider had rung him up to discuss working together and Janick's main concern was that he absolutely wasn't going to wear makeup because he's "just not into that shit". Clive is also mentioned in connection with this so I guess that was the band that eventually became Desperado.

Bernie and his thoughts on Janick: here's another one, from c2012, in which he talks about Ozzy, Gillan and Desperado, among other things:
http://www.legendaryrockinterviews....-ozzy-gillan-guitarist-bernie-torme-of-g-m-t/
Janick is briefly mentioned:
Janick Gers who replaced me in Gillan did mention to me that Ozzy’s new guitarist was awesome, he had seen him play and spoken to him.
but really it's the detail of Bernie's wider career that is the most interesting reading here.

Here's another interview in which he mentions Janick, from 2005. This is actually a very interesting insight:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guitarist-bernie-torme-talks-about-playing-with-ozzy-osbourne/
The Dio Message Board: Your replacement in GILLAN was Janick Gers. I think he did a terrible job of trying to replace you. I've heard bootlegs with him playing and he just couldn't play your solos at all and even struggled with some riffs (i.e. "Bite the Bullet"). What are your thoughts on him and how did it feel it to be out of GILLAN when you left?

Bernie Torme: "Janick had a difficult job, he was very into [Ritchie] Blackmore and not really an identifiable player at that stage: I was (and I hope still am) a stylist who lived and died by the fact that good or bad it had to sound like me. I think that was very difficult for Janick to do since he played with WHITE SPIRIT in a way fairly consciously modelled on Blackmore, and when he joined GILLAN, his sound and way of playing and even performing pulled GILLAN very much back towards mainstream MKII PURPLE which sort of lessened the difference of GILLAN, though a lot of people liked that. Whether he could or couldn't play my solos I really don't know, I know on the last tour on more than one or two gigs I was so out of the game I couldn't play them either! So all in all he probably did quite well, and you should hear me trying to play his solos! And believe me, there isn't a guitarist on the planet who could play 'Bite the Bullet' without struggling. That's what happens when the goddam keyboard players write the riffs."

RIP Bernie.

Nice answer there, the questioner is bascially inviting Bernie to be a cunt and he graciously turns down the invite.
"Gracious" seems to be a good description of him generally - he seems to have been a thoroughly decent bloke from start to finish. A quiet, unassuming guy who quietly made a big impression on just about everyone he worked with, apparently. I can quite see how he and Janick would get on well together (does anyone know where to find those pictures?)

"The man who casts no shadow has no soul".

I was looking for a pic with Janick and Bernie and can't find it.
Janick does mention in RTTH that Dee Snider had rung him up to discuss working together and Janick's main concern was that he absolutely wasn't going to wear makeup because he's "just not into that shit". Clive is also mentioned in connection with this so I guess that was the band that eventually became Desperado.
Which page?

Which page?
In the issue I've got (the one with the blue cover, which ends at Brave New World) this section is on page 279, about half way down.

Here is the complete quote:
There had been several stop-and-start attempts at getting back into a full-time situation. In 1986, former Twisted Sister singer Dee Snider approached him about joining his solo band, which also contained one Clive Burr on drums. "He rang me up and we talked, but I remember saying, 'There is no way in this world that I am wearing make-up or anything like that. I'm just not into that shit.' But we had a chat, and he seemed a nice enough guy, but I never heard back from him."

I've learned an interesting fact about Janick's audition for Maiden:

Bruce have called Janick and asked him to learn The Trooper, The Prisoner, COTD and Iron Maiden. Actually, The Trooper was the first song that the band played in studio with Janick. I'm surprised about COTD, because it wasn't played with Janick, live, without Adrian. The Trooper and Iron Maiden are live staples, so they are mandatory. The Prisoner was also played a couple of times during NPOTR tour - 4 times, If I'm not mistaken.

In my native language (lithuanian), the surname 'gers' literally means 'will drink'. Drinking action that will be taken in future. Future tense.:cheers:

I posted a joke thread before where I translated the Maiden members names into the Irish language. I couldn't get a good translation for Gers, as there didn't seem to be any info online of it's meaning in Polish, in fact it seemed that maybe it's not Polish in origin.

Is there a chance it's a Lithuanian name and Janick could be of Lithuanian ancestry?

I posted a joke thread before where I translated the Maiden members names into the Irish language. I couldn't get a good translation for Gers, as there didn't seem to be any info online of it's meaning in Polish, in fact it seemed that maybe it's not Polish in origin.

Is there a chance it's a Lithuanian name and Janick could be of Lithuanian ancestry?

No. Certainly not. Wikipedia says that Yannick is originated in Brittany, France. To me, name Janick has Slavic 'flavour'.

Back