Here's the studio version from 1982, from the Gillan album Magic. Written by Gillan & Gers. All guitars by Janick. :)
That sounds a bit more like Janick. I was absolutely shocked how Adrianish sounds the solo on the new version.

That sounds a bit more like Janick. I was absolutely shocked how Adrianish sounds the solo on the new version.
Janick only plays the second solo on the Gillan's Inn version - if you listen carefully you can hear where it's been slotted in. It was recorded on a separate occasion from the rest and in a different studio (from memory, one in the UK - I'll check tonight). Hence Janick does not appear in the filmed studio sessions on the DVD, which is a shame.

Janick only plays the second solo on the Gillan's Inn version - if you listen carefully you can hear where it's been slotted in. It was recorded on a separate occasion from the rest and in a different studio (from memory, one in the UK - I'll check tonight). Hence Janick does not appear in the filmed studio sessions on the DVD, which is a shame.
It still sounds very Adrianish...

It still sounds very Adrianish...
They have all indicated in a joint interview that they are all capable of imitating each other's styles if they think they need to - maybe he's trying to mess with our heads (as though just watching him wasn't disorientating enough ...)
:confused:

Okay, according to Ian Gillan's song commentary Janick's solo was recorded at "Jacobs Farm Studio" - he doesn't actually say where that is but I think it may be the Jacobs Studio that used to be at Dippenhall near Farnham, Surrey from 1980 to 2006 (Gillan's Inn was released in April 2006).

They have all indicated in a joint interview that they are all capable of imitating each other's styles if they think they need to
So....Adrian stands with one leg propped up on something, whirling his guitar around his head, Dave pulls off some blistering solos and occasionally forgets which song he's playing, and Janick just stands and smiles.

I really want to hear a solo album from Janick - for me he is a great songwriter and it seems that he works the best way with Steve. If he can find a good vocalist and someone who can help him with the lyrics, why not. He is very talented guitarist and songwriter and have a very distinctive style of playing that I personally think no one can replicate.

I'd like him to do a solo album but I also hope he'd sing on it himself. I'd like very much to hear him sing.

He has done backing vocals with Maiden in the 90's - on Run to the Hills and From Here to Eternity, so that is no strange to him.

Last edited:
Not even himself judging from live recordings.

He likes to improvise - after the reunion, all of the 3 amigos likes to change solos live (the way they are played in the studio versions). Listen to Janick's solo on Trooper (Wacken 2016), where he does it alone, without Adrian's support, and it sounds like the studio version solo.

Last edited:
I really want to hear a solo album from Janick
220px-TattooedMillionaire.jpg

:innocent:

Back