It's sickening how underrated Lord of Light is

This thread inspired me to listen closely to this one again. I enjoyed it a lot more not in context of listening to that album which tends to drag a bit to me.

It's underrated? I thought it was a very loved song.

I'm not that interested in it myself but I know a lot of people do.

I find underrated to be hard to describe.

Sickening? Noooo. If I ranked all the songs it would be ninth, right in front of Out of the Shadows. It's a good song, it has some great parts to it, the middle just drags it down.

Lord of light is the best song on the album.
His singing is immense and is as insistent as his best efforts from the eighties.
It's far better than his recent nebuliser reaching efforts of late.

As a Christian Maiden fan, this song makes me uneasy. I understand it's just an intellectual exercise looking at the world from the point of view of the false light-bringer, but still I often skip it. Mock away, fellow Maiden fans!

As a Christian Maiden fan, this song makes me uneasy. I understand it's just an intellectual exercise looking at the world from the point of view of the false light-bringer, but still I often skip it. Mock away, fellow Maiden fans!

I did that for a long while as well. It's really a satan worshipping song as clearly as possible. "Free your soul and let it fly, give your light to the lord of light". Basically saying give up your light, your soul to satan.

It's really a satan worshipping song as clearly as possible.
Ugh, that's a little far, don't you think? Let's not slip into 1980s style paranoia here. Lord of Light's lyrics are about the insane mythology surrounding Christianity's Satan (it's sah-taan, actually) and are part of the counter-religious themes of A Matter of Life and Death.

I did that for a long while as well. It's really a satan worshipping song as clearly as possible. "Free your soul and let it fly, give your light to the lord of light". Basically saying give up your light, your soul to satan.

It's "Give your life to the Lord of Light"

Lord of Light does not promote devil worship. This assumption is wrong on two levels. Firstly, the equation of Lucifer and Satan was first made by Origenes, who lived in the early 3rd century CE. Hence, this equation is an interpretation of theology, it is not in Christian scripture. Secondly, and more importantly, the interpretation of Lucifer that the song refers to is based on atheist Satanism. Now this sounds bad - it's called Satanism, after all - but the idea behind it is not to worship the lord of evil. These Satanists believe in neither god, nor the devil. They merely use "Satan" or "Lucifer" as an image of rejection of the Christian dogma that has kept humanity stupid. Beginning with the 17th/18th century, people started to notice that the world is made up of much more than the church would tell them. So they learned that the church was keeping them dumb, and they decided that rather than worship a god that wants to keep them in their infantile state, they might as well refer to an entity that doesn't exist but is symbolic for enlightenment - the light-giver, Lucifer. It's a symbol. Nobody worships evil.

2782075-5348157470-10996.jpg

Back