It's sickening how underrated Lord of Light is

Josh

Ancient Mariner
I should have joined the forum sooner seeing how Maiden has been my my all time favorite band since I first listened to SiT back in 86. Anyway...

What exactly is the problem? Lord of Light has probably IMO the best chorus on the entire album. Bruce goes off into another dimension and it has that filthy metal feel to it.

I hope Steve wakes up tomorrow and thinks to himself "Right...maybe that should be on the setlist..."

Also, has anyone heard the SSoaSS iTunes version? I bought it and listened on my headphones last night and it is soooo much better. I swear I could never get the original CD loud enough but the iTunes version is a very pleasant surprise :)

I love it! My one but favourite song of the album. I know more fans (e.g. @Zare ) who hold it high in regard.

It's my 8th favourite song from the current line-up:

1- Brave New World
2- Dance of Death
3- Ghost of the Navigator
4- Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
5- Paschendale
6- Isle of Avalon
7- Starblind
8- Lord of Light

But there are times when I like it more than Starblind.

Still not a (clear) top 40 song for me, although you might not expect that when you read this review:

No. 42 - Lord of Light
(Smith/Harris/Dickinson, 2006 -> on stage-status: last time in 2006)

Just like in another great track of this album, this time again Maiden didn't stick to a safe formula. Instead they tried something else, and it worked. They created a complex and dark work, which did fantastic in concert, and sounds excellent as a studio version as well.

This one has the kind of atmosphere in those calm parts which I don't recognize in any other Maiden song. If I would compare with other bands, then I'd think of elements of Bruce's Tyranny of Souls and I Will Not Accept the Truth, Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer and the Burnt Offerings album by Iced Earth. But Maiden makes it extra special because of Bruce's delivery and the support of his bandmates.

There's such awesome riffing but the best part of this album has to be the calm part after the first chorus. In concert I remember this was a particular cool moment when Adrian and Steve picked up the song, just like Dave and Steve do this in the middle of Sign of the Cross.

Nicko is cool too. He grooves well in the Sabbathish chorus, and his snare rolls at the end of Adrian's high solo tones rule. Another great moment, which I enjoy the best with headphones is the stuff going on underneath and right after Dave's solo: The manic and harmonic rhythm guitars, the doomy synth, accompanied by Nicko's determined drumming, draw us into a sinister wasteland.

Underrated?? More like overrated, like all of that 'kin album...

449984372_f6b9f20798_z.jpg

I adore Lord of Light. The chorus is one of my all time favorites and Adrian's solo is incredible. The main riff that kicks in after the intro is also fucking bad ass. I haven't gotten this far on the commentary yet, but it's a definite 10/10.

One of my favourite tracks from the album. Such a great mix of melodic and heavy moments. Reminds me how lucky I am to have seen AMOLAD live in concert.

I think the chorus does not even belong to the song. While the main riff is really good the is just bringing the song down in speed and not in a good way. I think the chorus is quite boring as well. The second half of the song is simply amazing and once again the chorus comes in to ruin it.

I actually find this chorus to be one of my favorites on the album, along with The Pilgrim and Different World. Also, some of the riffs in this song reminds me of those later found in Starblind.

This song is a grower for me. I don't think I love it as much as some, but I definitely like it. A great bridge between the masterful bookends to the track, and a very good song.

Love this song. A prototype for Starblind, but like Foro I sometimes prefer Lord of Light. It's one of my absolute favorites on the album. Perhaps the proggiest song as well.

I actually find this chorus to be one of my favorites on the album, along with The Pilgrim and Different World. Also, some of the riffs in this song reminds me of those later found in Starblind.

I also think that the formula started with Lord Of Light and got perfected with Starblind.

Back