Iron Maiden Tour 2025 - Discussion

I have a feeling that Hallowed might be done slightly simplified, while RTTH is a no-go thanks to the relentless hi-hat through the song. We know that he has problems with Trooper opening fill and was unable to do CSIT mid-song rolls and RTTH is exactly that, but on the hi-hat and through the most of the song. If he struggles with grip and movement of his right hand (as he stated) it's borderline impossible.

Unless he does what he did with Marines and goes for his standard ride pattern, but that kinda destroys the essence of the song.

I'm surprised to see Maiden go to such lengths to keep their lineup intact. Lackluster performances led to the departures of both Blaze and Paul. The difference in performance since 2022 is staggering, and I would understand if the band decided to bring in a new drummer. The post-1999 lineup is one of the greatest in metal history, but personally, compromising on performance is not something Maiden should do.
They are all past the retirement age of 65. So, why bother changing something at this point. They have nothing to prove and will probably play songs they can and enjoy the ride. They are way past the point of arguments and many stated (namely Steve and Bruce to some degree) that once a member is finished, the band is finished.

Add to that the fact that, according to some reports, some members want to retire. I'd say that those are overblown, but I wouldn't be surprised if some members just want to spend less time on the road or in the rehearsals (2/3 of the year off and 1/3 of the year working).

The resurrection of Bruce's solo career is, IMO, the indication that Maiden is somewhat slowing down and will be trimming down the dates in the future. They have no plans to retire, but they might adjust some things in the future (namely the down/work time and setlist).

Last edited:
They are all past the retirement age of 65. So, why bother changing something at this point. They have nothing to prove and will probably play songs they can and enjoy the ride. They are way past the point of arguments and many stated (namely Steve and Bruce to some degree) that once a member is finished, the band is finished.

The resurrection of Bruce's solo career is, IMO, the indication that Maiden is somewhat slowing down and will be trimming down the dates in the future. They have no plans to retire, but they might adjust some things in the future.
While it's true that they are all past the retirement age of 65 and might prefer to keep things as they are, other bands like Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and Yes have produced great studio work well into their late 70s with the help of newer band members. Simon McBride, Ritchie Faulkner, and Jon Davison have been great additions to their respective bands. Personally, I would rather have strong live performances than just my personal heroes in the band for sentimental reasons. Adjustments might be necessary to maintain the high standards fans expect, even if it means some lineup changes. I would be fine with a Priest-like solution, where they occasionally bring out Glenn.

Last edited:
Nicko still played CSIT fairly fast, just with less fills and less kick drum. He played it straight but the tempo was good. I'm fine with it.

I agree.

I kind of understand the worries about the quality of the performance that e.g @Nomadd pointed out, but it all sounded fine to me when I saw some shows last year. Yes, Nicko's approach to certain songs is a bit stripped-down, but he's very much able to keep the tempo consistent and more groovy stuff like The Writing on the Wall and Stranger in a Strange Land work rather brilliantly.

Yes, it's not the Nicko of 1999 or even 2018, but he still seems to be very capable of pulling off the Iron Maiden songs they want to play. It' not like the performances, especially towards the end of the tour last year were abysmal or anything; just not what it was from the drumming point of view. Which is, in my opinion, totally different than songs they play not sounding good. They sounded amazing and the drum parts, simplified or not, were quite powerful too.

All this might mean that for the one or two tours left, they have to drop a song or two they might have played otherwise, e.g The Wicker Man or whatever. Then again, the odds of Flight of Icarus and Stranger in a Strange Land appearing one more time aren't all that bad and I wish and even expect them to continue with the rather fresh setlist thinking of the past few tours.

To put it short, I don't want to see Nicko doing it if the can't. However, his determination and effort at getting him to shape to do the tour(s) after a stroke shows how big of a thing playing live and being the drummer of Iron Maiden is for him and frankly, he can still do it. Maybe not for too long, but judging from what I've witnessed within a year, and even with the light of the recent Titanium Tart footage, I wouldn't think twice whether I want to see Iron Maiden again: YES, DEFINITELY.

They have made lots of... compromises with the production quality control on their albums, but I remain rather confident about them, especially Nicko, being very self-aware about the point when they just can't do it. Fortunately for us, even the most recent Iron Maiden live performances were very strong and there's nothing indicating that they wouldn't be just as strong this year as well.

Alexander was also great.

Yet he died of a fever in Babylon!

Last edited:
All this might mean that for the one or two tours left, they have to drop a song or two they might have played otherwise, e.g The Wicker Man or whatever. Then again, the odds of Flight of Icarus and Stranger in a Strange Land appearing one more time aren't all that bad and I'll wish and even expect them to continue with the rather fresh setlist thinking of the past few tours.
Exactly. With a carefully picked setlist, I can see Maiden continuing for another 3-5 years. That means no Wicker Man or RTTH, but I think the band can easily play the likes of Flight Of Icarus, Stranger In A Strange Land, The Writing On The Wall, Children Of The Damned, Fear Of The Dark, Wasted Years, The Prisoner, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Can I Play With Madness, (adjusted) Trooper and even stuff like If Eternity Should Fail and Hell On Earth.

Still a great show. And the vocalist still has almost all of the range which is usually the problem with older bands.

I was one of the people who was worried how CSIT would turn out when the tour was announced. I was afraid that they'd slow down the song quite a bit, which would've harmed it severely in my opinion. I'm glad that they went with a bit more simplified bass drum patterns and the post-chorus section being played straight, while the tempo was kept close to the original. I don't listen to Maiden to hear every single note of the album recreated live. The overall vibe is much more important and the chosen changes for CSIT nailed that. Yeah, it's different and it was weird to hear a section being so different compared to the album version we've been listening to for literal decades. I got used to it pretty quickly and it didn't affect my enjoyment when I heard it live in any way. If they had gone with a noticeably slower version it would've bothered me more.

Long story, short: Let 'em do whatever changes they need if it lets 'em continue for a couple more years.

I recently listened to some of Titanium Tart’s performances from last week. Before the news about the stroke emerged, people were commenting that The Trooper sounded really off. I was hoping it would improve in the 2024 performances, but it still sounds rough:

This version is almost as bad as the Bayley performance from the South American leg in 1996.

Additionally, Can I Play with Madness isn’t sounding great either:

It's obvious Nicko's drumming is not good today. I hope he will play until December but I wouldn't surprised if they do 2025 with the other drummer with Nicko as a "Special Guest", so same as Tipton in JP.

I recently listened to some of Titanium Tart’s performances from last week. Before the news about the stroke emerged, people were commenting that The Trooper sounded really off. I was hoping it would improve in the 2024 performances, but it still sounds rough:

This version is almost as bad as the Bayley performance from the South American leg in 1996.

Additionally, Can I Play with Madness isn’t sounding great either:

TBH, the drumming is kinda the best part of those videos. Other band members either have some very bad monitoring issues or are SERIOUSLY under-rehearsed. Nicko is trying to pull this burning carriage along but it just continues to fall apart. Those Titanium Tart performances are kinda horrible. It could also be that Nicko is having monitoring issues too.

Remember, Nicko did fine with Royal Marines a few months ago.

I'm surprised to see Maiden go to such lengths to keep their lineup intact. Lackluster performances led to the departures of both Blaze and Paul. The difference in performance since 2022 is staggering, and I would understand if the band decided to bring in a new drummer. The post-1999 lineup is one of the greatest in metal history, but personally, compromising on performance is not something Maiden should do. I love the Blaze Bayley era, but some of those live performances from 1995 to 1998 were inexcusable. I'd suggest finishing this tour cycle, then moving away from the history tours and returning to the new album -> tour -> new album cycle with Joe Lazarus on drums.
Idk why all the buzz on this lazarus guy. I saw some of his videos and for me its just a normal drummer. If maiden consider this scenario, its just better to retire anyway. The band has nothing left to prove to anyone.

Then I maybe misremember it. Could be. I thought there was an interview where a band member described it as a future setlist staple. (Which made sense to me now they dusted it off, rehearsed it and it worked so great live.)
Nicko said it, but if they don't play in Greece next year...
As much as I love Hallowed, I think it´s time to let it go... Nicko isn´t gonna do it justice and Bruce... well, 2019 and 2022 proved that Bruce is not really capable of pulling that one off at a high standard anymore in original key, at least not near the end of the show.
Bruce's vocals are better than 3-4 years ago.
I know that this would never happen but I would kill to see any song from NPFTD live.
More 90's songs in general would be great.
I don’t really see why it’s not possible for Nicko to adapt his parts to his current capabilities. I doubt they are going to preempt songs without trying things out, especially staples like Hallowed and RTTH.
Agreed. Although RTTH is not a live staple since 2003.
Nicko still played CSIT fairly fast, just with less fills and less kick drum. He played it straight but the tempo was good. I'm fine with it.
Alexander was also great.
This.
I'm surprised to see Maiden go to such lengths to keep their lineup intact. The difference in performance since 2022 is staggering...
I wouldn't say that. And nothing surprising in that, it's not like Nicko can't drive the band.
They have no plans to retire, but they might adjust some things in the future (namely the down/work time and setlist).
I feel the same.
Yes, it's not the Nicko of 1999 or even 2018, but he still seems to be very capable of pulling off the Iron Maiden songs they want to play. It' not like the performances, especially towards the end of the tour last year were abysmal or anything; just not what it was from the drumming point of view. Which is, in my opinion, totally different than songs they play not sounding good. They sounded amazing and the drum parts, simplified or not, were quite powerful too.
Spot on.
Trooper needs the tempo. That's it. Which is the case here. Plus this is the start of the rehearsals for Nicko.
Not necessarily the slower ones, but I believe the band is considering excluding the more complex ones perhaps? Or those that have many fills
I think so too.

I think some people still thinking that nicko has 40ish yo. The old man is +70 now. And to do what he does at this age (and after a stroke) is remarkable. I dont think its fair all the heavy criticism he received since beginning of future past tour.

Lucky he has that british humor and takes all criticism with a smile.

Lucky he has that british humor and takes all criticism with a smile.

Joe Biden also tried the humor strategy for a while. :D

I don't quite know if it was a good idea for Nicko to turn the spotlight on this before the tour.
German metal magazines took up the topic as “some songs are too difficult for him after his stroke” (Metal Hammer).
Maybe some types of fans wouldn't even have interpreted it that way, but rather as a live version, which sometimes doesn't exactly represent what's on an album and can still sound good (sometimes not, of course).

Idk why all the buzz on this lazarus guy. I saw some of his videos and for me its just a normal drummer. If maiden consider this scenario, its just better to retire anyway. The band has nothing left to prove to anyone.
I believe he is exceptional on a technical level. On a more personal level, I think the band would benefit from someone who understands the inner workings of Iron Maiden. Joe's father, Steve Lazarus (who, if I'm not mistaken, is Steve Harris's brother), ran the official fan club for about 20 years and directed some music videos in the '90s, including Futureal. Therefore, I’m confident Joe would fit right in. Although I'm not certain if Joe has ever worked as a tech for Maiden, I believe he is the drum tech for British Lion. Given Joe’s familiarity with how Maiden operates and his extensive experience playing nearly every Maiden song on his YouTube channel, he seems like the obvious choice.

Back