IRON MAIDEN TO BRING THE STUNNING MAIDEN ENGLAND WORLD TOUR TO EUROPE IN 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife, two daughters and I are planning three weeks/a month in Europe in the summer of 2014 after my eldest graduates.
None of us have been. Itinerary still to be planned, but we will be definitely spending time in Greece since our friends have a place there where we can stay.

Very cool, I would like to see both of those .. thanks!
You're welcome. I felt that walking around at Wolfsschanze was quite special, since it was the place of the 20 July plot to kill Hitler.

One thing about Malbork though, just in case. From wiki:
In 1945 during World War II combat in the area, more than half the castle was destroyed. The castle has been mostly reconstructed, with restoration ongoing since 1962 following a fire in 1959 which caused further damage. The main cathedral in the castle, restored just before World War II and then destroyed in battle, is still in ruins. Nevertheless, Malbork Castle is the largest brick building in Europe.

305px-Malbork_Castle_Ruins.jpg

800px-Panorama_of_Malbork_Castle%2C_part_4.jpg

My grandmother was from Rastenburg, which was where the Wolfschanze is located. Interestingly, I never heard the term "Malbork" before... only Marienburg.

Wow, that's quite interesting she came from that place. Especially because Wolfschanze was built in her time.

Malbork is the Polish name, just like lots of these western Poland places which used to be in Germany before that. :)
Perhaps that name is less known in Germany than e.g.
Breslau - Wrocław
Stettin - Szczecin
Danzig - Gdańsk
Posen - Poznań

Actually, everybody still uses the German names. Or German versions really, it's the same names just adjusted to different languages. But I honestly didn't know the Polish name for Marienburg. I still think it's odd, because if there really is one genuinely German place in Poland, it's that. I mean, it was the seat of the Teutonic Order and the historical origin of the Prussian kingdom.

Actually, everybody still uses the German names.
On your side of the border you mean. ;-)
Or German versions really, it's the same names just adjusted to different languages. But I honestly didn't know the Polish name for Marienburg. I still think it's odd, because if there really is one genuinely German place in Poland, it's that. I mean, it was the seat of the Teutonic Order and the historical origin of the Prussian kingdom.
I see what you mean, I was trying to find out since exactly when the Polish call it Malbork (how and when that name originated).

About 3 years ago, I was in the Czech Republic and the locals used quite a few German names ... a few examples ... we stayed in Karlovy Vary, many locals called it Karlsbad. We stopped for lunch semi-near the border and ate at a place that had Sudetenland posters all over the place, the people running the place were certainly Czech.

About 3 years ago, I was in the Czech Republic and the locals used quite a few German names ... a few examples ... we stayed in Karlovy Vary, many locals called it Karlsbad. We stopped for lunch semi-near the border and ate at a place that had Sudetenland posters all over the place, the people running the place were certainly Czech.
Czech with German forefathers perhaps. Also don't forget they were talking to you. But indeed, also people from Silesia use different words than "normal" Poles. For example:

potato: ziemniaki
The Silesians say: Kartoffel (from German)
Indeed the languages don't follow the borders strictly
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/Languages_of_CE_Europe-3.PNG
Languages_of_CE_Europe-3.PNG

Also don't forget they were talking to you

Maybe, heard it most when we went to the Moser Glass factory, which was incredibly cool, the guide kept saying Karlsbad, she was certainly Czech and we were on the English Tour

Bought my tickets to the concert right up front! If anyone else goes, I'll be the old guy wearing the Maiden Texas t-shirt :)

Two shows in Russia booked in the week following Stockholm ... still no more Nordic dates. I may have to consider going to Malmö.

29th May - Lisbon. Could this be the first show?
I thought the tour will start in June.

By the way - have you noticed, how they didn't change Eddie's flag for the Russian colours in the news? :p I think The Trooper's lyrics are the reason. ;)

The charge was made famous by the national poet but in reality the whole thing was a blunder. So, no problem.
The Russian commanders are said to have initially believed that the British soldiers must have been drunk. :)

I'm waiting for the one or two Florida concerts that hopefully they'll announce. Me and some friends are planning a vacation down there in the spring/summer, and we would do it in correlation of when Iron Maiden is there. Heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back