IRON MAIDEN TO BRING THE STUNNING MAIDEN ENGLAND WORLD TOUR TO EUROPE IN 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
Can it be that there's some sort of error?

2. PAIN & GUILT-
Hard to stop the surmounting terror

3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Somebody please tell me that I'm dreaming

4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Tears they flow but why am I crying?
After all I'm not afraid of dying

5. THE UPWARD TURN-
Don't I believe that there never is an end?

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As I walk all my life drifts before me
And though the end is near I'm not sorry

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
When you know that your time is close at hand
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion

A band for all seasons. -_-

I've said what I've said and there's no need for me to beat a dead horse. I will say this: if I would have been more prepared, yeah, I probably would have seen Maiden this tour but I wasn't so oh well, my loss. I've learned my lesson, so to speak, so I will make sure I'm more prepared for the next time they come around. I'm not crying over the fact I can't see them or anything. It sucks, yes, but it's like, I've accepted it and moved and I'll be ready next time and making damn sure, at all costs, that I'm going to see them. :)

I thought we were discussing principles here, not isolated cases.

My point was that people have different perception of music. For some fans, live shows are what music is all about. For others, studio albums are the most enjoyable thing ever. If you're one of those people who live for the adrenaline rush of going to the venue 10 hours before the show, fight your way through a sea of people, have your ears destroyed for the next two days and be totally unable to say anything for the next four days, you wouldn't wait for a gig in your hometown. You would just actively seek the opportunity to experience this.

But if your view on music has to do with sitting in your comfortable armchair, drink in one hand, closing your eyes and listening to every gentle layer of the mix, then you are not very likely to travel 500 km for a show. It's just as simple as that.

I consider myself lucky. When I first got into metal/Maiden, tickets were cheap and they played all over the place. It would be easy to see multiple shows for $7 to $20 a ticket and the shows were close to one another, so it was cheap to drive from one to another (not to mention how much less gas was).

Now that they tour less and it is more expensive, I am further along in life so I can travel to see them on occasion. Seeing them in Europe was one thing I really wanted to do and I am glad I accomplished that on this tour.

But, if I were in my teens/early 20s now and in the same relative position I was in my teens/20s, it would be a struggle to see them at all, much less multiple shows given the costs.

We were at the edge of the stage for a BOC show in the '90s with a rather naive friend who wasn't much into concerts.
After the show he was complaining about his ringing ears.
Another guy says he's just fine thanks to his earplugs.
"Earplugs?" the first guy says. "Where did you get those?"
"What do you mean? The bouncer was handing them out. I saw him give some to you!"
"Those were earplugs? I thought they were drugs! I threw them away!"

The only Maiden show (erm, the only concert period) I've been to that was absolutely deafening was the first time I saw them, on June 11 2008. One of my fondest memories, that I'm sure I will cherish forever, is when Doctor Doctor finished playing during that concert, and then the overhead lights went out... and the entire place absolutely erupted in shouting. This was probably the single most loudest noise I've ever heard in my life.

It was an indoor stadium, and even though we were way towards the back of the place, it was the loudest experience I've ever witnessed. I actually believe the crowd cheering between the songs were louder than anything the band played that night. My ears were ringing the entire rest of that night, even hours after the concert.

All the other times I've seen Maiden (hell, all of the concerts I've seen all together) do not compare to that one concert. I don't know if there is THAT big of a difference between indoor and outdoor concerts? (The only indoor concert I've ever been to is that one... coincidentally, every other concert I can think of has been outdoor; usually at an amphitheater). I would assume indoor would automatically be louder than outdoor, due to the sound not being able to "escape" anywhere. But that might be a silly thought, I'm not too sure.

Anyways, I would have never considered wearing earplugs to a concert. I could understand maybe if you were right at the front of the stage, but even then (like I was in Indianapolis, 2012), the thought never crossed my mind.

Last edited:
The only Maiden show (erm, the only concert period) I've been to that was absolutely deafening was the first time I saw them, on June 11 2008. One of my fondest memories, that I'm sure I will cherish forever, is when Doctor Doctor finished playing during that concert, and then the overhead lights went out... and the entire place absolutely erupted in shouting. This was probably the single most loudest noise I've ever heard in my life.

It was an indoor stadium, and even though we were way towards the back of the place, it was the loudest experience I've ever witnessed. I actually believe the crowd cheering between the songs were louder than anything the band played that night. My ears were ringing the entire rest of that night, even hours after the concert.

All the other times I've seen Maiden (hell, all of the concerts I've seen all together) do not compare to that one concert. I don't know if there is THAT big of a difference between indoor and outdoor concerts? (The only indoor concert I've ever been to is that one... coincidentally, every other concert I can think of has been outdoor; usually at an amphitheater). I would assume indoor would automatically be louder than outdoor, due to the sound not being able to "escape" anywhere. But that might be a silly thought, I'm not too sure.

Anyways, I would have never considered wearing earplugs to a concert. I could understand maybe if you were right at the front of the stage, but even then (like I was in Indianapolis, 2012), the thought never crossed my mind.
Totally agree. I was at the June 11 2008 gig as well (my first Maiden show!) and it was monstrously loud! So much so, that I brought earplugs when I saw them in 2010 and 2012, but I didn't even need them for either of those gigs!

The indoor factor definitely has something to do with it, as the sound will reverberate off the roof and walls. Both the 2010 and 2012 gigs were outdoors, which unfortunately leads to a considerable loss of volume. In addition, the PA setup for outdoor gigs needs to be more finely tuned for delivering the sound to all the various seating areas while keeping in accordance with sound ordinances. Because indoor gigs contain the bulk of the sound, it's not as much of an issue.

Totally agree. I was at the June 11 2008 gig as well (my first Maiden show!) and it was monstrously loud! So much so, that I brought earplugs when I saw them in 2010 and 2012, but I didn't even need them for either of those gigs!

The indoor factor definitely has something to do with it, as the sound will reverberate off the roof and walls. Both the 2010 and 2012 gigs were outdoors, which unfortunately leads to a considerable loss of volume. In addition, the PA setup for outdoor gigs needs to be more finely tuned for delivering the sound to all the various seating areas while keeping in accordance with sound ordinances. Because indoor gigs contain the bulk of the sound, it's not as much of an issue.

Nice, yep, that was my first Maiden concert too! I will never forget it, for as long as I live. I found out very last minute that they were touring, and the closest place was Chicago (where I live about 40 miles south of St. Louis, MO). So we got tickets only like two weeks before the show (and planned the road trip all last minute), and this is why we were so far back from the stage. Every other Maiden concert I've been to since, it was much closer because I usually took advantage of the presale.

Anyways, I'll finally experience another indoor Iron Maiden concert next weekend. In Kansas City, they'll be playing at the Sprint Center. So I'll finally have another chance to compare the June 11, 2008 concert.

Lets keep the tour talk in here. No point in starting a new thread IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back