Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I'd love to see Maiden releasing an album every year or every two years like in the 80's we must also face the truth and that is that times have changed.
I'm the first one who thinks that almost all of the band members are incredible composers but I also admit that I don't think they would be capable of realesing high quality albums every year like in the 80's.
Artists have a peak in which they are at the top of their game and that train for Maiden has passed a long time ago.
It's not that I think they can't produce incredible albums, but it takes them much longer to do it. And if waiting 5 years is what takes them to produce an album with the quality of their legacy then I prefer to wait longer rather than having so so or average albums every two years.

The music industry has changed a lot too. When Maiden started it was compulsory for a band to release high quality albums every so often to succeed in the industry.
Now that has completely changed.

I don't think Maiden has it so bad either. Metallica is a huge band and has only 10 records and is taking 8 years to release an album.
Tool is another good example.

Maiden has 16 studio albums which is a very respectable number and realeses albums every 5 years.
If you look at the industry now it's not too terrible.

Last edited:
Rock in Rio next week will be broadcast i'm sure as usual, but i would still like a LOTB DVD and all the goodies in time for Xmas ;-))

DVD from the LOTB tour is mandatory (even more than DVD for TBOS tour). Spectacular show with amazing stage and setlist. The sound of Rock In Rio is always shit, so...../ A tour that continues for 3 years must have a DVD from it (ME tour says hi, haha).

DVD from the LOTB tour is mandatory (even more than DVD for TBOS tour). Spectacular show with amazing stage and setlist. The sound of Rock In Rio is always shit, so...../ A tour that continues for 3 years must have a DVD from it (ME tour says hi, haha).

Didnt they film a ME show but it was scrapped? What I heard at the time anyway. All this stuff probably come out eventually well after they call it a day

Didnt they film a ME show but it was scrapped? What I heard at the time anyway.All this stuff probably come out eventually well after they call it a day

Donington 2013 or Rock In Rio 2013... I'm not sure.

It would be great all these unreleased DVD's to come out when Maiden retired, but I think the excitement will be a little lower, because they will be retired (not that I will be complaining), but the feeling if they released these concerts while they were still active and during that period of time when the show was filmed (after a tour) is unmatched.

When the band retires we will see more stuff like Eddies Archives come out as well as unrealeased live dvds and we fans will snap them up. Cause that will be all that's left...

There's pain/work/joy in writing & recording new music, and pain/work/joy to staging a long-ass global tour. Selling new music and/or selling performances are your top 2 options for monetization, generally speaking. So... why do so many older bands concentrate waaaay more on the touring than the creating? (At least, in a way disproportionate from when they were younger.)

Intuitively, you'd think an older band would favor writing new material. I'm not in my 60s myself, but I'd imagine the travel/time/pressure of a loooong global tour would be far more daunting than spending a few weeks at a studio, being creative & playing with your bandmates (and staying at the same room every night, no travel, etc) & banging out a new album that you can sell & exploit. Right? It's product, after all -- and for a band like IM, there's a big demand for it. Not feeding the marketplace is taking food off your table.

But like others have noted, all the real-life evidence -- Metallica, IM, etc. -- says otherwise. Performing over creating. Easier that way, I guess. Just find it odd.

So... why do so many older bands concentrate waaaay more on the touring than the creating? (At least, in a way disproportionate from when they were younger.)

I think because there's no money in putting out albums anymore. They'll sell albums of course - but compared to what they make on the road it's basically nothing. So the incentive to actually work your ass off in the studio isn't there anymore or at least not until they've used up all the other options. People do the streaming, Spotify, Youtube thing now - and Maiden knows that too. They decided to put out the Book of Souls - Live Chapter by way of streaming instead of actually releasing it on a DVD because people hardly buy those anymore too.

I think theres a lot to be said for the lure of the stage, too. Money is all well and good but I'd wager that none of those guys actually need any more (although, as Mr Burns says "I'd trade it all for a little more"). Each individual in Maiden may have different motivations but for guys in their 60s, I personally think that the drug of live performance is the number one factor. When that desire (or ability) goes, the rest is irrelevant.

Of course and they have fun doing it. Maiden's never really been a studio band. Many of their 80s albums were recorded pretty swiftly and probably under a lot of pressure from management, studio-time etc. They've never been that kinda band that would book a famous studio for years just to perfect their album.

As a comparison Maiden spent about 3-4 months at Steve's own studio in his backyard to record No Prayer. And this was Maiden coming off a hugely successful Seventh Son tour, doing Donington for the first time. If they had wanted they could have put in huge money at that time to help them with their next album....

A few days after No Prayer came out, Metallica choose to hire Bob Rock and the 17 Hertz Studio in LA for a consecutive 8 months to do the Black Album. Just thinking about what the studio time a day might have cost in that studio blows your mind....

Anyways, Maiden could easily have done the same after the Seventh Son tour, book a big producer, and a big studio, they were easily as popular as Justice Metallica....but they didnt. It payed out for Metallica though.

I think theres a lot to be said for the lure of the stage, too. Money is all well and good but I'd wager that none of those guys actually need any more (although, as Mr Burns says "I'd trade it all for a little more"). Each individual in Maiden may have different motivations but for guys in their 60s, I personally think that the drug of live performance is the number one factor. When that desire (or ability) goes, the rest is irrelevant.
That's exactly why a lot of older bands are still touring and don't retire, some year after year like Def Leppard and Journey. It's really hard to give up that lifestyle because that's been such a huge part of their lives for so long.

I think the news that Kevin is now a grandfather is irrelevant to the status of the next Iron Maiden album. The reference to Iron Maiden related news is basically just trolling because he's constantly being asked about the album. There was one post where he said something like "post a picture of your children and suddenly ten Iron Maiden fans unfollow you".

Some people look for clues and conspiracies everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back