Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like TBOS, it’s the most classic looking Eddie since the 80s. Wilkinson has a great track record too with albums like Painkiller.

Melvyn Grant’s work is really good too. They capture the spirit of classic Maiden covers, although there is always a somewhat modern twist or the design of Eddie deviates from how he’s looked in the past.

I don’t think Maiden would go wrong with either artist, although personally I’d like to see more of what Wilkinson has to offer.

It's definitely the most classic looking Eddie since the 80's. Mark Wilkinson has done all of Priest albums since 1988, but for the latest album they do not used him (although he is responsible for the album cover design and additional illustrations). I want to see him draw a Eddie with a background full of details.

All three covers done by Melvyn Grant are superb (especially FOTD), so I think he is a strong candidate. But more than anything I want to see another cover from Derek (without CGI graphics, of course).

To be fair they only had 2 "meh" covers in DOD and the Debut

The debut album cover is classic. And it is a iconic (great) artwork. DOD cover is meh, because of the way it was painted.

BNW cover is the one that has a less input from Eddie - though the whole artwork is great. AMOLAD cover could have been better IMHO. TFF cover is Eddie as a predator, but it was meant to be an alien and it's a great looking cover imo.

I hope the runtime stays under 70 minutes this time. More Maiden is always appreciated but if I got to skip stuff it's basically the same as a shorter better record

But more than anything I want to see another cover from Derek (without CGI graphics, of course).
No. Derek doesn't care to make good covers anymore. He hates the band. There's no chance that he'd do a good job.

We need to move on from Derek Riggs as a fanbase.

Nah, I need my dose of an Gers/ Harris 9 minute banger, otherwise I'm with you on that

I think an epic is a mandatory for a Maiden album. Now that I think of, I want more the 10 songs, but in all cases 10 songs is the best.

No. Derek doesn't care to make good covers anymore. He hates the band. There's no chance that he'd do a good job.

We need to move on from Derek Riggs as a fanbase.

You're probably right. :(

EDIT: his recent drawings of Eddie are very good though.

Last edited:
I'm going to post a very unpopular opinion here. I think in terms of artistic quality, Melvyn Grant is a more skilled, and a technically better artist than Riggs. But his Eddies are just random zombies. They have nothing to do with the character Riggs and Maiden developed and which has an actual history of his own. Look at Death on the Road, for example. It's a great painting, but if you weren't told the figure is Eddie, would you know? And why does he have fangs? What's with his eyes?
Mark Wilkinson captures Eddie as a character much better, and I think he absolutely nailed TBOS. If you didn't have a logo there, you'd still know it's Eddie. I would be happy if they continued their collaboration.

Now I didn't finish the thread
police.gif

Thank you for bringing it back on topic.

I mean, the band has to be happy with Mark Wilkinson's work on The Book of Souls, it was pretty much universally lauded as the best Eddie since...uh. Well, IMO since SSOASS, but still. The only other likely candidate is Melvyn Grant.

Add Herve Monjeaud to the list...

I'm going to post a very unpopular opinion here. I think in terms of artistic quality, Melvyn Grant is a more skilled, and a technically better artist than Riggs. But his Eddies are just random zombies. They have nothing to do with the character Riggs and Maiden developed and which has an actual history of his own. Look at Death on the Road, for example. It's a great painting, but if you weren't told the figure is Eddie, would you know? And why does he have fangs? What's with his eyes?
Mark Wilkinson captures Eddie as a character much better, and I think he absolutely nailed TBOS. If you didn't have a logo there, you'd still know it's Eddie. I would be happy if they continued their collaboration.

I can perfectly recognize Eddie on the cover of DOTR. On FOTD cover too...../ even in VXI cover. Only his version of Eddie for TFF cover is not recognizable, but he is an alien, isn't it ? Though, he painted Eddie with his classic face from the first 3 album covers for TROBB single cover.
FOTD cover is my favorite of all time, but Derek is indeed the master - he was the first one that started all (the others are his students :D) and his imagination gave birth of such a timeless artworks like Killers, Powerslave, TNOTB....

I also think Mark Wilkinson is a very good artist. TBOS Eddie is amazing (yeah, I also wanted to have a background, but it is what it is). His artwork for TWM single is also top-notch (and for OOTSP too - again, classic face of Eddie). He also had done the Donington '92 poster with Eddie as a bat and that's again a very good cover. As I said, I want to see him draw a Eddie with a lot of details as a background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back