Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dance of Death > ... all the other ones are about the same to me.

I like the lyrics of Dream of Mirrors. Steve is really onto something with that one. Lots of hidden truths unveiled there.

The Talisman is almost great, but it needs to take a breather. It's too intense. It could have used a slower or moodier middle part. But I guess it does capture well the feel of an unrelenting storm. It's a relief when it ends. Good lyrics and story.

The Legacy's instrumental intro section is phenomenal, A+++. It should have stayed an instrumental. Once the main "song" part starts, the quality drops noticeably. Still good overall, though.

The Book of Souls takes too long to start really rocking, but once it does, it's a beast. The lyrics are not overly compelling, though.

Dance of Death is a perfect Maiden song in all respects - awesome intro, amazing lyrics/story, incredible mid-song instrumental section with 3 great solos, great finish.

For me:

The Book of Souls - Proudly stands at #3 in my rankings. Fantastic song, its full of monumental riffage and beautiful melodies. Very powerful performance from Bruce, too.

Dance of Death - Great storytelling and atmosphere, suffers a bit with its lyrics and tongue-twisting melodies.

Dream of Mirrors - Was once a top ten song, but I had a rethink:

It's in the heavier section that I think the song loses its way, it does drag a little and I find the fast "I only dream in black and white" a bit awkward. Great harmonies though, and another great solo from Janick.

The Legacy - Really good until after the solo, I commend Jan for trying something new with his epic. The latter part of this just carries on too long and isn't very engaging.

The Talisman - Actually a very strong song, but mired by weak (and Sad!) production - which I've harped on about enough. Live version would probably top all but TBOS.

You should laugh, of course!

I laughed. Then cried. Then cried laughing. Then Cried laughed.

Reactions: Jer
For me:
The Legacy - Really good until after the solo, I commend Jan for trying something new with his epic. The latter part of this just carries on too long and isn't very engaging.
The verses after the solo are my favorite verses by Maiden.

"The Legacy" is currently my sixth favorite Maiden song. "The Book of Souls" is #24, "Dream of Mirrors" is #41, "The Talisman" is #45, and "Dance of Death" is all the way at #85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back