Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have to pick the worst Maiden album from the 80's, which is impossible, but I would say: Killers !

I would agree although I still love it

Best of reunion albums:

Best opener: TWM
Most consistent album: BNW
Best song: Blood Brothers
Best production: Brave New World
Best artwork: Book Of Souls by Mark Wilkinson

Worst of reunion albums:

Worst opener: Different World
Least consistent album: The Final Frontier
Worst song: The track that rehashes the Wasted Years intro on BOS
Worst production: Not a fan of Kevin Shirley in general
Worst artwork: AMOLAD because Eddie should be at the front, and bold

Last edited:
It's great when they let the songs evolve a bit. Smith does that quite often: he was the one who added a few licks to Wrathchild and Another Life and had the idea of the ones on The Prisoner.

It's great when they let the songs evolve a bit. Smith does that quite often: he was the one who added a few licks to Wrathchild and Another Life and had the idea of the ones on The Prisoner.
Which licks in The Prisoner?

Another Life: all individual parts by Dave Murray, apart from last solo bit at 3:09 by H in this vid:

Worst artwork: The Final Frontier (at least, on Dance of Death, Eddie is recognizable)

Wow, now this is an opinion. Certainly TFF cover is more generic space Predator inspired thingy than a true Eddie image but at least it is technically well done. The thing that landed on DoD is a draft, of a CGI, that lacks polygons, proper lighting, etc. It's absolutely horrendous and it's a 0/10.

And El Dorado single cover is one of their best ever.

BNW cover is good as a whole idea, but Eddie is just a cloud - a really good one, created by the master Derek Riggs ! I always liked that cover !!!

DOD cover is not that bad, just all the things that surrounded Eddie are done in very low quality ! Eddie as the Grim Reaper is generally a good idea !

AMOLAD cover is a great one, but Eddie should be at the front ! the focus has to be on him, and the death soldiers and the tank has to be behind him ! great concept, at least.

TFF cover is 50/50, for me ! Not that great, but not bad. Again it has death soldiers and Eddie do not look like himself, but I think if the background was the cosmos , it would be so cool, or some spaceship !

TBOS cover is well done, but so simple ! Eddie is great (I preferred it in full stature), but that black background is kinda cool , but imagine if it was a pyramid with a jungle and Eddie - then it would be one of the best covers that Maiden has ! For the Book of Souls: Live Chapter I expected that kind of a cover, but they (I don't want to say again), went through the lazy way and released one of the tour posters for cover :(

Conclusion: some great ideas, but not that great works of art !

For me, Maiden album covers are specials, and for good sake, they have to bring Derek Riggs back or for the next album to bring Melvyn Grant , who created two very good looking covers: FOTD and VXI !!! My least favorite album cover is The X Factor ! all the 80's covers are amazing and NPFTD too !

Last edited:
Which licks in The Prisoner?

Another Life: all individual parts by Dave Murray, apart from last solo bit at 3:09 by H in this vid:
The Prisoner : just before the solo.
Another Life : I thought I read on interview with Steve about H adding someting to song that has been stable for years. I must check it out because you are obviously right about Dave playing the first parts.

The Prisoner : just before the solo.
Okay, I don't call that a lick but I might be wrong. I just see it as a lead/melody or something.
A lick is something in background or just in between/around other parts of a song. In The Prisoner this is the dominant part, so rather a lead or melody.

(Some see it as part of the solo. I agree that it is inseperately connected with the real solo, but because it has a pattern that is repeated exactly the same for several times, I have trouble with calling it a solo.)

Anyway, it is a really great idea: it kind of introduces the real solo and improves greatly a rather generic part of the song. He did something quite similar on Mother of Mercy (around 1:35).

Anyway, it is a really great idea: it kind of introduces the real solo and improves greatly a rather generic part of the song. He did something quite similar on Mother of Mercy (around 1:35).
That sounds as something integrated into the riff. Not per se as added. Part of the riff, probably also written by himself as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back