Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what I wanted, or expected, or hoped for, whatever, in 1990: an album more complex and more sinister than Seventh Son, awe-inspiring occult horror on a cosmic scale that would make your blood freeze and your head fall off from headbanging.
Then I got NPFTD.
My own fault, I know.
Same happened to me

The Rest Of The Beast (Long forgotten songs from the vault of Arry)
The Nest Of The Beast (Nicko imitating 666 bird sounds)
The Quest Of The Beast (EP with 4 versions of Quest For Fire: the re-re-remastered version, a remix, an instrumental and a rare live version)
The Crest Of The Beast (Tribute to Jethro Tull´s Crest Of A Knave album)
The Vest Of The Beast (Maiden´s greatest hits sung by Geoff Tate)
The Test of the Beast (More Maiden covers by Testament)

The Rest Of The Beast (Long forgotten songs from the vault of Arry)
The Nest Of The Beast (Nicko imitating 666 bird sounds)
The Quest Of The Beast (EP with 4 versions of Quest For Fire: the re-re-remastered version, a remix, an instrumental and a rare live version)
The Crest Of The Beast (Tribute to Jethro Tull´s Crest Of A Knave album)
The Vest Of The Beast (Maiden´s greatest hits sung by Geoff Tate)
The Jest Of The Beast (triple album, four hours of silence)*.
*And that's the better option. Imagine four hours of Listen With Nicko, or, even worse, Brucie and his piano.

I know what I wanted, or expected, or hoped for, whatever, in 1990: an album more complex and more sinister than Seventh Son, awe-inspiring occult horror on a cosmic scale that would make your blood freeze and your head fall off from headbanging.
Then I got NPFTD.
My own fault, I know.
Magnus, I honestly would have loved to see that too. Would’ve been really interesting.

It would have been interesting, I wonder often if they had it in them. A lot of bands seem to reach a breaking point with more complex music, especially if their genre is a bit more broad than prog. Rush and Metallica are other examples of bands who kept pushing the complexity of their music until they reached a point of needing a reset.

Did Maiden decide they had taken that sound as far as it could go, or was it a commercial decision intended to preserve a shrinking NA fan base?

It would have been interesting, I wonder often if they had it in them. A lot of bands seem to reach a breaking point with more complex music, especially if their genre is a bit more broad than prog. Rush and Metallica are other examples of bands who kept pushing the complexity of their music until they reached a point of needing a reset.

Did Maiden decide they had taken that sound as far as it could go, or was it a commercial decision intended to preserve a shrinking NA fan base?
Well said. I also think it was an age thing: Maiden being in their early 30s. This is the first time you are young but there are people competing with you who are younger. I felt that Maiden looked over their shoulder at the competition and at the bands they had influenced, for instance on the 'socially aware' lyrics of Public Enema. And it is the first time they looked back at their own history, to the raw early days sound

Last edited:
Blessed of the Beast.
Bruce’s favourite hymns with Jan accompanying him on the harp.

Chest of the Beast
60 minutes of Steve and Bruce challenging Rod to a bench press competition while Nicko counts and Davey sips warm Trooper in the background.

It would be very, very strange if Maiden, who have given up on outdated formats like singles and DVDs to a much greater extent than most other bands, would still release a compilation.
Agree. The only compilation which would be worth nowadays is with unreleased songs (demos) or live versions.

And it seems to me that they want to keep the LOTB tour and the new album stuff with no relation to each other - it was different in 1996 (Best Of The Beast was released after TXF album & after the tour for it and the song was not part of the album). Plus, new single (part of compilation or not) is too soon to be released this year (especially if the album will be released next year).

P.S. DVD is outdated format only according to Maiden :p
The sales of SSOASS in the US were not that good. The sales of the other experimental album, SIT too (but better than its successor). And Maiden already played in a smaller venues during the Seventh Son tour in the US (and during the Somewhere On Tour too).

^ maybe these are some of the reasons, because otherwise, it's a strange decision - SSOASS was a huge album for the band and it is logical to continue in this successful way/style.

SSOASS sold very well in the USA going Platinum. It was only a disappointment for the band in relative terms, because SIT went double platinum. Each album party sold off the reputation of the last one, and SIT did so well because of the World Slavery Tour crossing the US so extensively. The real drop in US sales came with NPFTD, which didn't even go platinum at the time of release, if I recall correctly,

SSOASS sold very well in the USA going Platinum. It was only a disappointment for the band in relative terms, because SIT went double platinum. Each album party sold off the reputation of the last one, and SIT did so well because of the World Slavery Tour crossing the US so extensively. The real drop in US sales came with NPFTD, which didn't even go platinum at the time of release, if I recall correctly,
Exactly, 1988 - 1990 was hair metal and rise of thrash back in the days.

Nope

Glam metal achieved huge commercial success from approximately 1981 to 1991, bringing to prominence bands such as Poison, Skid Row, Cinderella and Warrant.

Maiden had huge commercial successes in USA between 1982 and 1985.

In 1986 they steered their metal ship in the prog direction, while having less live production than before. That means they were dethroned in the sense of going to the 'biggest metal show ever', as acts like Dio and Ozzy and Priest were now mounting even larger stage sets. Also the niche they were going into, proggy, did not correlate well with the camps in USA, it wasn't metal turned sleaze or metal turned punk/hardcore which is what most people there and then wanted.

Btw, related but unrelated, 'shred metal', big hair shredders, Sharpnel Records, guitar wankery, was a very short period between 1986 and 1989. Therefore the combo of hair metal and big hair shredders is indeed in the period RLonger suggests but it is not the sole manifestation of glam/hair metal.

Also, 1990 is the peak of thrash, there is no rise after peaks.

Maiden stage production in 1986 - 1988 was biggest in their career - official press releases just made it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back