Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delaying a new album by two years is a disaster in my mind, if as you say it was ready back in 2020. Which I now doubt.
They finished to record it around May 2019...
The six Maiden and Kevin Shirley have known those songs for 2 years, now. It's a disaster caused by their being lazy and afraid of bad sales during the pandemic. The only reason for which I'd "forgive" them is that they can't release anything new until the LOTB era is closed (contract obligations and stuff).
But if they were scared not to sell enough copies during these times, they're completely wrong.
During 2020, with no gigs and people staying home, it would have been the perfect time to release a brand new record. Moreover, the fans who always buy their studio albums, they would have bought it this year, last year, or whenever. It's the truth.
Free music downloading will make sales worse and worse, more and more every day. But Maiden have the kind of fans who still NEED to have a physical copy of a brand new studio album. So it's a problem relatively important, for their business...

But no, they released the Nights Of The Dead Live instead, an audio release without the video format (one of the most expensive and visual tours they've ever did). Useful like a broken condom...

Last edited:
For me it matters: I really rated the fact that Maiden were in a league of their own amongst 'big' hard rock/metal bands in album release frequency. Even when they slowed down they never had the big, yawning gaps that bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Def Leppard, Priest, Deep Purple, even Slayer forced on their fans.

No, Maiden were in a league of their own. Despite clearly not needing to, they put out a new album at least every 5 years, often more frequently. It is actually a big deal for me that the 'as regular as clockwork' aspect of Maiden has ended.

Yes, the pandemic was exceptional. But even without it, had it all gone to plan, do we really think album 17 would have come out just after the planned third LOTB leg in late 2020? I actually even doubt that, and I think the balance of attention to retro tours (this one and Maiden England) has actually cost Maiden forward creative momentum in their later years.

Delaying a new album by two years is a disaster in my mind, if as you say it was ready back in 2020. Which I now doubt.

The album was finished in 2019...

The biggest problem/dilemma for me is that I don't find much enjoyment in the latest Maiden albums...So while I of course would like to see one of my favourite bands active and releasing music I'm also realistic and content now in the mindset that Maiden won't knock me off my feet anymore musically and it makes it easier to just accept and appreciate the stuff they've already put out for us in the past. Of course I still hope for good things in the future but I'm also very happy with where we are right now.
Yeah I know the feeling. I don't expect anything even remotely interesting from them anymore - and yet, maybe, just maybe, one last time...

Yeah I know the feeling. I don't expect anything even remotely interesting from them anymore - and yet, maybe, just maybe, one last time...

Yeah same.

I feel bad for the fans who actually think Book of Souls album is amazing because then it must really be an agonizing wait for new stuff :confused:

Yeah same.

I feel bad for the fans who actually think Book of Souls album is amazing because then it must really be an agonizing wait for new stuff :confused:
Well... I think TBOS is a great fucking album for sure, amazing even, one of my faves from Maiden. But I’m kinda content at the moment. I definitely wanna hear the new album, whatever it is, but there are plenty of other bands to focus on too. So I don’t mind the wait as much as I once did.

Guys, I just want to ask: what evidence does anyone have that the album was finished in 2019?

So far I have seen not a shred of hard evidence that confirms this. Yes they assembled in the studio, but they finished it?

Guys, I just want to ask: what evidence does anyone have that the album was finished in 2019?

So far I have seen not a shred of hard evidence that confirms this. Yes they assembled in the studio, but they finished it?

When the seven of them (band + Shirley) get together in the same city for 2/3 months, it's definitely for writing and - yes - finishing the recording part of a new album. It may be still in a "putting the final touches on it" fase (which I doubt, too), but surely it's finished, writing-wise and recording-wise. When Bruce teased us with "you might listen to brand new Maiden music in the near future", during the 2019 leg of the LOTB, they already had the album.

We'll read "Recorded in Paris, March-May 2019" on the Official site and on the booklet, when it'll come out. Also, 2 months for doing it all is pretty quick for their standards. I guess they stepped into the studio with most of the material already written... Maybe some of the songs can even be some "re-worked ideas" that didn't make it on TBOS.

I recall Steve said around 2016/2017 that already at that time he had plenty of material, which worthed a full album. So...

Again: the 7 of them reunited in a studio (people spotted them, Shirley fb posts about the "not so secret album", and so on) can only mean one thing: new album. And they're (luckily) the kind of band who DON'T need years and years to complete a studio effort. It all got completed 24 months ago, now.

I'm not too surprised by the time they're waiting, though. I'm pretty sure this is gonna be their final record (or, at least, the last album with Nicko touring it....), so they earned the right to release it when they feel to. I'm not ok with a 6 or 7 years waiting, but they decide, not me or us.

I predict a BIG promotional campaign, maybe more than ever, this time around.

Last edited:
When the seven of them (band + Shirley) get together in the same city for 2/3 months, it's definitely for writing and - yes - finishing the recording part of a new album. It may be still in a "putting the final touches on it" fase (which I doubt, too), but surely it's finished, writing-wise and recording-wise. When Bruce teased us with "you might listen to brand new Maiden music in the near future", during the 2019 leg of the LOTB, they already had the album.

We'll read "Recorded in Paris, March-May 2019" on the Official site and on the booklet, when it'll come out. Also, 2 months for doing it all is pretty quick for their standards. I guess they stepped into the studio with most of the material already written... Maybe some of the songs can even be some "re-worked ideas" that didn't make it on TBOS.

I recall Steve said around 2016/2017 that already at that time he had plenty of material, which worthed a full album. So...

Again: the 7 of them reunited in a studio (people spotted them, Shirley fb posts abou the "not so secret album", and so on) can only mean one thing: new album. And they're (luckily) the kind of band who DON'T need years and years to complete a studio effort. It all got completed 24 months ago, now.

I'm not too surprised by the time they're waiting, though. I'm pretty sure this is gonna be their final record (or, at least, the last album with Nicko touring it....), so they earned the right to release it when they feel to. I'm not ok with a 6 or 7 years waiting, but they decide, not me or us.

This is possible and could be one plausible scenario - it would certainly have been a clinical way for them to approach it. But it is still guesswork that the album was totally finished in the 2019 Paris sessions. It is guesswork based on inference. It is also possible that Maiden have added or would seek to record further material given the delay since then, maybe to release in a different way. We will find out soon enough I hope.

On the bright side, at least it wasn't a new album tour disrupted by the pandemic...

I know some very reliable sources who confirmed what I posted about the recording of the album. ;)
Correct, this was posted by @Trevoire in october 2019.
Whenever someone has doubted if Maiden has recorded the album #17, I have passed this info to them:

Last edited:
do we really think album 17 would have come out just after the planned third LOTB leg in late 2020?
Yes, I do think. If not in 2020 (but most probably), then in 2021 at the latest. Why? Because the album was recorded in 2019.
It is also possible that Maiden have added or would seek to record further material given the delay since then,
I'm not sure if this is a possibility (since the album was recorded), but who knows. Could be good for the songs in the album, I guess.... they could swap some songs or improve some of them since they were not in a hurry.
Also, 2 months for doing it all is pretty quick for their standards. I guess they stepped into the studio with most of the material already written...
It's not a problem for Maiden (and for the other bands) because they write stuff all the time.

Again: the 7 of them reunited in a studio (people spotted them, Shirley fb posts about the "not so secret album", and so on) can only mean one thing: new album. And they're (luckily) the kind of band who DON'T need years and years to complete a studio effort. It all got completed 24 months ago, now.

Today even 2022 tour are not so sure in fact. I don't believe in the BIG promotion of forthcoming album. Rod is too stingy to invest more money into. There are some rumours Maiden will release the compilation with brand new song as a single - so this would be pretty pointless in my opinion. In 2022 we will see plenty of albums from popular artists - even new Metallica and GNR are on the way. Releasing new CD next year is pretty risky. If I was Rod I'd release brand new album just later this year, maybe on November. I'd spoil some dates (EU leg) of Legacy tour with promotion of new stuff. But, you know - Rod and Bruce say as usual WE DON'T CARE...

Well... I think TBOS is a great fucking album for sure, amazing even, one of my faves from Maiden. But I’m kinda content at the moment. I definitely wanna hear the new album, whatever it is, but there are plenty of other bands to focus on too. So I don’t mind the wait as much as I once did.
I think TBOS is amazing as well. In fact I like the reunion era albums as much as the 80's classics as a whole. They're different for sure, which I appreciate. They're not like every AC/DC album, including the new one, where everything sounds exactly the same (love me some AC/DC though). Is that what some fans want? Number of the Beast 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back