Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had a valid reason for that delay.

True.

When it comes to LOTB III and it's necessity, "valid" is very problematic definition there.

How is LOTB III not valid reason per se? When compared to Maiden England '14, for example, it'll at least cover some big markets they haven't visited yet during this run (ME left out Asia & Oceania completely) and LOTB III was probably planned as an option very early on anyway. Also, looking at their rather loose scheduling over the past few years, I doubt that LOTB III for next summer means any more or any less new records in the future. Yes, the active years are limited and yes, using the next summer for LOTB does theoretically mean one tour leg less with a different set in the future, but at the same time, touring with this kind of a set while they still definitely can for a couple of extra months while covering big markets that haven't had a chance to see this show yet ...is not entirely bad idea or terrible waste of time.

Just a bit of a "delay" for the next album/tour cycle, but that's the thing; the whole "delay" is kinda just a manner of speech anyway. Yes, I would love to have a new album and tour out already and that'd be much more of a statement by the band, which is known about their confidence when it comes to recording new material and playing huge chunks of it live, but looking at how their touring schedules have rolled out after TFF run and the nature of the current tour, I think it's not that bad to have another go with it. Granted, I might be even more excited to hear new stuff and one or two new surprises but LOTB III is cool too.

...oh, this was the album #17 topic, not the 2020 tour topic. Anyway, it seems that we'll get new Maiden album before the end of 2020, so that's cool. I'm particularly interested about how Bruce's first Maiden studio work after the cancer treatment sounds, especially since he has been pretty mind-blowing in concerts recently and whether or not they can at least keep, or preferably improve the vibe and production work from TBOS. A bit muddy it was, but I liked the rough yet a bit more polished and dynamic edge of it.

Not sure where this feeling comes from, but after the dark and ancient feel of TBOS, deep blue space of TFF, army green and grey AMOLAD, red and black DOD, I feel that the visual aspect of it might be on lighter colours and more of an etheric and "airy" aestethics again. Of course, this is just a random thought. Then again, dark, grim and heavy approach has worked for them very well over the years, so that might dominate the visual side too.

Last edited:
"Valid" being the problematic definition here.

How is LOTB III not valid reason per se? When compared to Maiden England '14, for example, it'll at least cover some big markets they haven't visited yet during this run (ME left out Asia & Oceania completely) and LOTB III was probably planned as an option very early on anyway. Also, looking at their rather loose scheduling over the past few years, I doubt that LOTB III for next summer means any more or any less new records in the future. Yes, the active years are limited and yes, using the next summer for LOTB does theoretically mean one tour leg less with a different set in the future, but at the same time, touring with this kind of a set while they still definitely can for a couple of extra months while covering big markets that haven't had a chance to see this show yet ...is not entirely bad idea or terrible waste of time.

Just a bit of a "delay" for the next album/tour cycle, but that's the thing; the whole "delay" is kinda just a manner of speech anyway. Yes, I would love to have a new album and tour out already and that'd be much more of a statement by the band, which is known about their confidence when it comes to recording new material and playing huge chunks of it live, but looking at how their touring schedules have rolled out after TFF run and the nature of the current tour, I think it's not that bad to have another go with it. Granted, I might be even more excited to hear new stuff and one or two new surprises but LOTB III is cool too.

...oh, this was the album #17 topic, not the 2020 tour topic. Anyway, it seems that we'll get new Maiden album before the end of 2020, so that's cool. I'm particularly interested about how Bruce's first Maiden studio work after the cancer treatment sounds, especially since he has been pretty mind-blowing in concerts recently and whether or not they can at least keep, or preferably improve the vibe and production work from TBOS. A bit muddy it was, but I liked the rough yet a bit more polished and dynamic edge of it.

Not sure where this feeling comes from, but after the dark and ancient feel of TBOS, deep blue space of TFF, army green and grey AMOLAD, red and black DOD, I feel that the visual aspect of it might be on lighter colours and more of an etheric and "airy" aestethics again. Of course, this is just a random thought. Then again, dark, grim and heavy approach has worked for them very well over the years, so that might dominate the visual side too.

I think you misunderstood me. The valid reason (or I should had said: respectful reason) for the delay of TBOS album release was the illness of Bruce - that's what I meant.

I think you misunderstood me. The valid reason (or I should had said: respectful reason) for the delay of TBOS album release was the illness of Bruce - that's what I meant.

Ah, yes. My mistake - I edited the beginning of my post to clear out that I was merely using the mention of very valid TBOS delay as a bridge to the discussion about the necessity of LOTB III and the following "delay" of the album #17. :)

But yes, Bruce's diagnose and treatment was definitely a valid reason for delay. But as stated, I don't personally see LOTB III as big of a waste of time as some of the most frustrated fan comments suggest.

But as stated, I don't personally see LOTB III as big of a waste of time as some of the most frustrated fan comments suggest.

I don't want to call it a waste of time, but they could have done these 2020 dates during 2018 and then the tour would have been only 2 years. This 3rd leg next year will be worth it if they change some songs in the setlist. But of course, every year in which Maiden tours is special.

But it's great that Maiden tours every year and not taking breaks to write & record a album (like Priest have done for Firepower, taking 2 years break to write and record it). Every part of the world should see this incredible LOTB tour. / On the other hand, they're not getting any younger and in my opinion they should release the new album as soon as possible (September 2020 release seems almost certain), and that's why they should have done the 2020 dates during 2018 IMO.

Yeah if they finish tour end of July and announce the album early August that would point to a release October/November as they usually have 2-3 months between announcement and release.

I think they'll announce the album much sooner. Announcing a new album, even if they don't play songs from it, would only serve to generate hype/boost ticket sales. For Book of Souls and Final Frontier, both were announced more than 6 months (I think?) before the albums were released.

I think it's going to be released just after the tour, maybe august or september and start the tour in Feb 2021 in Canada, US, Mexico and South America / rest until Feb 2022 start the second leg in Japan, Australia and Europe
The prophet stared at his crystal ball…

View attachment 11040

I think it's going to be released just after the tour, maybe august or september and start the tour in Feb 2021 in Canada, US, Mexico and South America / rest until Feb 2022 start the second leg in Japan, Australia and Europe
The prophet stared at his crystal ball…

Yeah an earlier tour of the Americas is likely if they started July 2021 that be a year off the road doesnt seem Likely

I'd imagine that the 1st leg of the album tour will be done in the vein of TBOS 2016 with EF1, but with 20 less dates or so.

Also it makes perfect sense that they wanted to record the album earlier this year. There is not a lot of time between the LOTB 2nd and 3rd legs (considering that they always vacate for a month after the tour, then it's Christmas and it's already 2020) and Steve also has 2nd British Lion album to promote.

I'd imagine that the 1st leg of the album tour will be done in the vein of TBOS 2016 with EF1, but with 20 less dates or so.

Also it makes perfect sense that they wanted to record the album earlier this year. There is not a lot of time between the LOTB 2nd and 3rd legs (considering that they always vacate for a month after the tour, then it's Christmas and it's already 2020) and Steve also has 2nd British Lion album to promote.
This is an important point. They have probably been looking at a 2020 (surely not 2021) release, but the only time it fit their schedules to record was March to May this year.

We know Maiden plan ahead at least 2-3 years. Kevin Shirley mentioned in 2017 that they maybe had studio time planned in the future. That wasn't a maybe, he knew. Maiden probably had the years 2018-2020 planned already in 2017 after they finished touring TBOS.

I think they could be done with the Ed Force one style touring or they would have for leg 3 or even done down under after the dates this year with it.
It's likely the album could be promoted during leg 3 as opposed waiting till the tour is over to hear anything. They probably follow the BOS pattern get the album out September , release tour dates for a possible Feb start that also opens the door for UK dates later in the year as the first leg would be done come May.

From what I understand, the only reason they aren’t Ed Forcing it is because the stage set and equipment won’t fit on the plane this time. Anyone else heard that?

I figured LOTB ended up stretching out to three years due to market demand and the realization that they can't do tours like the 2016 leg of TBOS anymore. It was too much in one year for the band. So that caused them to space out the dates and this created the option to either go for the album tour in 2020 and an earlier release, or a third year of LOTB in the various lucrative markets in Europe and also Australia and Asia etc. where they rarely visit overall and barely ever on a non-album tour. Obviously the demand is there, so why not choose LOTB3?

The one thing I'm a little nervous about is how this affects the next album tour cycle. I'm not sure even Europe has enough demand to support an album tour in 2021, but at the same time it'd be pretty unusual for the band to start with an American tour for a new album. Then you get Bruce saying we'll probably hear solo material from him in 2021 and he talks about wanting to even tour in that capacity and it almost seems like he's anticipating having plenty of time in 2021 to pursue his interests outside of Iron Maiden.

I think they could be done with the Ed Force one style touring or they would have for leg 3 or even done down under after the dates this year with it.

what was the time of year for Ed Force one the last few times they used it? I know it can be though to charter planes and/or crew in the summer months as it's high season for tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back