Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a lot of wide-eyed speculation in this thread. Most of it is sheer rubbish. Having been a fan of Maiden for the past 24 years, I can assure you that the following are things Iron Maiden will not do:
1) a 90s tour
2) Play another album in its entirety
3) Play Alexander the Great
4) Play songs that have never been played live before
5) Dust-off songs that haven't been played in decades (Flight of Icarus, Purgatory, Total Eclipse, Still Life, Losfer Words, Sea of Madness, etc)
6) Two sets / no opener format
7) Dramatically alter the setlist during the tour
8) More songs from the Blaze albums
9) Cut Fear of the Dark from the setlist
10) Completely satisfy anyone's set list dreams

I know Davey said there were going to be some surprise, and Nicko has stated that he would like to play some under/never played songs and personally, I would love, love, love for them to do any of #4, #5, #6, or #7, but I am not holding my breath.

Have a nice day!

Number 5 has been done fairly regularly, maybe not to the extent that people demand, but it's certainly not unusual for them to have a song reappear out of the blue. Of course, that's less likely to happen on a new album tour, but on all the greatest hits/nostalgia tours there's been some tracks brought back from exile.

I'm actually supermad they cheated out of the Somewhere Back in Time Tour.
Given the brilliant Early Days Tour where they`ve kept it strict for the first 4 albums . i expected them to do the same on this tour.
But sneaky bastards shove LAD in there so they can play the "standard" classics along with Fear of the Dark.

Was a nice setlist, but it would have been better to keep it real with stuff from PS / SIT / SSOASS

Number 5 has been done fairly regularly, maybe not to the extent that people demand, but it's certainly not unusual for them to have a song reappear out of the blue.

Which songs are you referring to? Children of the Damned, Powerslave, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, others? I would agree AFTSS was a surprise, especially considering it didn't fit the theme of that tour, but it is pretty unusual to have a song to appear out of the blue. I think we have had one truly surprising song in the past 12 years!

I'm actually supermad they cheated out of the Somewhere Back in Time Tour.
Given the brilliant Early Days Tour where they`ve kept it strict for the first 4 albums . i expected them to do the same on this tour.

I agree with this. The Early Days tour was the last time they have done anything remotely surprising. Murders in the Rue Morgue! Where Eagles Dare! Another Life, wtf? The TFF Tour (part 1) was similar in that they stuck mostly to 2000-albums.

IMHO:

What the SBIT tour set should look like:

Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Revelations
The Trooper
Children Of The Damned
The Number Of The Beast
22 Accacia Avenue
Rime Of The Acient Mariner
Powerslave
Die With Your Boots On
Run To The Hills
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
---------------------------------
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

What the Maiden England set should look like:

Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
Infinite Dreams
Stranger In A Strange Land
The Trooper
The Number Of The Beast
Phantom Of The Opera
Killers
Wasted Years
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
-------------------------------------
Heaven Can Wait
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free / Sanctuary (alternated)

Number 5 has been done fairly regularly, maybe not to the extent that people demand, but it's certainly not unusual for them to have a song reappear out of the blue. Of course, that's less likely to happen on a new album tour, but on all the greatest hits/nostalgia tours there's been some tracks brought back from exile.

Agreed. I mean, we have had a number tracks that had not been played live for nearly 20 years brought back with some regularity since the reunion.

Also, I found the choice of Children of the Damned and Powerslave as oldies on The Book of Souls tour instead of usual suspects quite refreshing.

IMHO:

What the SBIT tour set should look like:

Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Revelations
The Trooper
Children Of The Damned
The Number Of The Beast
22 Accacia Avenue
Rime Of The Acient Mariner
Powerslave
22 Accacia Avenue
Run To The Hills
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
---------------------------------
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

What the Maiden England set should look like:

Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
Infinite Dreams
Stranger In A Strange Land
The Trooper
The Number Of The Beast
Phantom Of The Opera
Killers
Wasted Years
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
-------------------------------------
Heaven Can Wait
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free / Sanctuary (alternated)

so a somewhere back in time tour without a single song from SIT. Legit

so a somewhere back in time tour without a single song from SIT. Legit

That tour should have been a remake of the World Slavery Tour, even if that meant a different name. Nothing else. Because the 80's were crammed into that, it took some excitement from the ME tour.

Actually a true SBIT setlist should have been like

(Churhills Speech)
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Wasted Years
Infinite Dreams
The Rime of the Acient Mariner
The Evil That Men Do
Stranger in a Strange Land
Powerslave
The Clairvoyant
Heaven Can Wait
The Duellists
Seventh Son of A Seventh Son
Sea of Madness
Iron Maiden (to be fair that would have been cheating but it's obligatory)

---

Caught Somewhere in Time
Moonchild
Alexander the Great / Only the Good Die Young

Which songs are you referring to? Children of the Damned, Powerslave, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, others? I would agree AFTSS was a surprise, especially considering it didn't fit the theme of that tour, but it is pretty unusual to have a song to appear out of the blue. I think we have had one truly surprising song in the past 12 years!

I've been at every tour bar Virtual XI since 1993 and at everyone of those tours there has been at least 1 song that I had been hearing maiden play for the first time. Obviously on a new album tour the new material for me was going to be stuff from the new album, but I'll break down the stuff from the other tours.

In 93 obviously everything was new to me, but Maiden had brought back stuff like Prowler, Transylvania and Remember Tomorrow,
In 99 they brought back Aces High, Killers, Powerslave and Phantom.
In 2003, Die with your boots on, Revelations and 22 Accacia Avenue.
In 2005 Murders in the Rue Morgue, Another Life, Where Eagles Dare and Drifter.
In 2008 Rime and Moonchild. And in 2013 the Prisoner and Seventh Son.

Actually there was nothing new in 2014 but was that the 2nd leg of the 2013 tour?

And in some of those tours there was rare stuff reappearing that I had heard them play before but it was still rare to hear, e.g. Die with your Boots on and Phantom etc.

EDIT: also, as Ghost of Cain mentions there was still rare stuff like Children of the Damned appearing on new album tours as well. Lord of the Flies on DOD is another one.

Do you think we will ever see a Blaze song again? I have always felt that they kept a song from the Blaze era in for the first 5 years after he left out of loyalty and referencing their recent history. That seems to have passed.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever get a Blaze song again. If we do, it'll be once. I think we should see some Blaze songs because it's obvious that Bruce's voice is getting slightly lower.

I know this probably won't happen, but I'd love to see a "Dark Ages" tour covering "No Prayer for the Dying" through "Virtual XI". Something like this:

Futureal
Man on the Edge
Still Life [1]
Be Quick or be Dead [2]
Sign of the Cross
The Trooper [3]
The Clansman
No Prayer for the Dying [4]
Holy Smoke
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Bring Your Daughter... To the Slaughter
Number of the Beast
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

2 Minutes to Midnight
Lord of the Flies
Hallowed be thy Name [5]

The set list would consist of 17 songs that add up to around 91 minutes of playing time. There are three songs each from "NPFTD", "FOTD" and "The X Factor" and two from "Virtual XI". On top of that there are six older classics (five of which are standards, plus one surprise).

A few notes:
[1] - "Still Life" is one of several songs that would make a nice surprise - "SIASL" or "Infinite Dreams" would also be nice as somewhat slower songs.
[2] "Judas Be My Guide" is an even better short, fast rocker than "Be Quick or Be Dead", but it's never been played live.
[3] It's almost blasphemous to have a Maiden concert with "The Trooper", but "The Evil That Men Do" would give some variety while keeping a fast gallop song.
[4] "Wasting Love" would also work as a slower song, but I tried to have more even balance between "NPFTD" and "FOTD".
[5] I'm assuming the legal dispute over "HBTN" is resolved.
[6] Personally I'd love to hear some of the deeper cuts from this era (especially from Blaze's albums) but in order to make the tour commercially viable, for the most part I've stuck to the hits.

I'd pay good money to see this show, but I'm not sure how well it would sell.

In 93 obviously everything was new to me, but Maiden had brought back stuff like Prowler, Transylvania and Remember Tomorrow,
In 99 they brought back Aces High, Killers, Powerslave and Phantom.
In 2003, Die with your boots on, Revelations and 22 Accacia Avenue.
In 2005 Murders in the Rue Morgue, Another Life, Where Eagles Dare and Drifter.
In 2008 Rime and Moonchild. And in 2013 the Prisoner and Seventh Son

Outside of the Eddie Rips Up the World Tour, I would still argue that the others were not really surprises. '99 was (supposedly) based on fan voting, in 2003 those songs had all been on multiple tours after their respective albums. Those songs you mentioned for the 2008 and 2013 tours were "dusted off" but could be expected based on the premises of the tours. If anything, I was more surprised by how conservative the selections were on those tours, especially after 2005.

My original point was looking forward to 2018 and you'll note in the above list, Maiden seems to be getting LESS adventurous with setlists over the past decade plus. I would love to be surprised, and we can quibble about how rare something like Die With Your Boots On truly is*, but Maiden has shown that roughly 75% of their songs don't have a chance of being played live.

* I really like Boots and think it is quite under-rated. They also happened to play it 2 of the first 4 times I saw them, so for me it isn't that rare. I would count it as a surprise going forward, but would truly be shocked if it appears again.

Another surprise: Murders In The Rue Morgue at the start of the Virtual XI tour (+ all songs from the album except Como Estais Amigos for a short while). I don't think anybody expected that.

A few notes:
[1] - "Still Life" is one of several songs that would make a nice surprise - "SIASL" or "Infinite Dreams" would also be nice as somewhat slower songs.
[2] "Judas Be My Guide" is an even better short, fast rocker than "Be Quick or Be Dead", but it's never been played live.
[3] It's almost blasphemous to have a Maiden concert with "The Trooper", but "The Evil That Men Do" would give some variety while keeping a fast gallop song.
[4] "Wasting Love" would also work as a slower song, but I tried to have more even balance between "NPFTD" and "FOTD".

I highly doubt any of these will resurface...

they had their chance twice with Infinite Dreams both on SBIT and ME....
They had 2 chances with Still Life too. Early days and ME
Also had 2 chances with Stranger..... SBIT and ME... I feel they are all gone to the grave unless this Legacy tour mysteriously adds them
TETMD may be too much for Bruce and even the trooper is... he is struggling with fast paced songs these days... TRATB was not great live the second time I heard it... he was worn out...
Wasting Love is not a song likely to return.... though many were baffled by ATSS showing up in ME

When you have to go back 20 years or suggest Powerslave or Children of the Damned (both played on multiple tours, and as recently as 2009, in both cases) to find a set list surprise you only enhance my point. Seriously, since I made my offhand comment earlier I (like apparently several of you) have gone back and pored over set lists only to find that Maiden is actually getting less adventurous with set lists.

I hate to say it but as fun as history tours are, they seem to pull deeper cuts and throw them into the new album tours.... TFF tour was nearly all new material in 2010 then in 2011, added more TFF songs... AMOLAD was played all whole and even TBOS had 7 songs played between both legs and we got a full tour of COTD and Powerslave.... the song Powerslave has appeared on only 4 tours.... COTD was only briefly played in 2007 so getting it the full tour was great.

I know this probably won't happen, but I'd love to see a "Dark Ages" tour covering "No Prayer for the Dying" through "Virtual XI". Something like this:

Futureal
Man on the Edge
Still Life [1]
Be Quick or be Dead [2]
Sign of the Cross
The Trooper [3]
The Clansman
No Prayer for the Dying [4]
Holy Smoke
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Bring Your Daughter... To the Slaughter
Number of the Beast
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

2 Minutes to Midnight
Lord of the Flies
Hallowed be thy Name [5]

The set list would consist of 17 songs that add up to around 91 minutes of playing time. There are three songs each from "NPFTD", "FOTD" and "The X Factor" and two from "Virtual XI". On top of that there are six older classics (five of which are standards, plus one surprise).

I'd pay good money to see this show, but I'm not sure how well it would sell.

I think it would sell well, actually. The 90s songs, with one obvious exception, have not been played much - and even though NPFTD, FOTD and VXI are all among the albums I rate lowest, they all have some great songs on them. The novelty of such a set being played by the 6-man lineup with Bruce would contribute to the ticket sales. I know, a few of the songs have already been played by this lineup, but not many in one tour, and most of them not since the Brave New World tour.

And I would get my ticket the day it went on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back