Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it but as fun as history tours are, they seem to pull deeper cuts and throw them into the new album tours.... TFF tour was nearly all new material in 2010 then in 2011, added more TFF songs... AMOLAD was played all whole and even TBOS had 7 songs played between both legs and we got a full tour of COTD and Powerslave.... the song Powerslave has appeared on only 4 tours.... COTD was only briefly played in 2007 so getting it the full tour was great.

I really liked the 2010 tour and wish that more 2000+ material was carried over to subsequent tours. Unfortunately, anything post 2000 that was NOT played on the 2010 leg will likely never be played again (i.e., Rainmaker, Brighter Than 1000 Suns) and would be very surprised if anything from the last 2 albums besides El Dorado, Speed of Light, Death or Glory, and If Eternity Should Fail will ever appear again.

I love Powerslave and Children was really glad they were there. Kind of surprising that Powerslave has only made 4 tours while 2 Mins and Heaven Can Wait have made many more. Don't forget Children was also played on the 2009 leg of SBIT as well. Adding The Great Unknown and vamping it out at the end was a huge shock (in Maiden terms, that is).

Outside of the Eddie Rips Up the World Tour, I would still argue that the others were not really surprises. '99 was (supposedly) based on fan voting, in 2003 those songs had all been on multiple tours after their respective albums. Those songs you mentioned for the 2008 and 2013 tours were "dusted off" but could be expected based on the premises of the tours. If anything, I was more surprised by how conservative the selections were on those tours, especially after 2005.

My original point was looking forward to 2018 and you'll note in the above list, Maiden seems to be getting LESS adventurous with setlists over the past decade plus. I would love to be surprised, and we can quibble about how rare something like Die With Your Boots On truly is*, but Maiden has shown that roughly 75% of their songs don't have a chance of being played live.

* I really like Boots and think it is quite under-rated. They also happened to play it 2 of the first 4 times I saw them, so for me it isn't that rare. I would count it as a surprise going forward, but would truly be shocked if it appears again.

The return of Bruce and Adrian meant that Maiden were able to bring back from retirement many songs that in 1998 we thought they would never play again.

1999: Aces High and Powerslave are back after a 14 year hiatus. Phantom of the Opera is back after 12 years and Killers after an 11 year absence. Wasted Years and Run to the Hills are back to the setlist after 6 years (it was played at a few shows in 1993).
2002: Children of the Damned is back after 15 years for 3 charity shows. It would also be later played at a few shows in a short leg in 2009 before being welcomed back to the set in 2016 for a world tour.
2003 GMETID tour: Revelations is back after 18 years, 22 Acacia Avenue and Die with your Boots on are back after 12 years, Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter is back after 10 years.
2003 DOD tour: Can I Play with Madness is back after 11 years.
2005: Another Life is back after 24 years, Drifter is back after 22 years, Murders of the Rue Morgue is back after 21 years (7 if you count the few times Blaze butchered the song in 1998), Where Eagles Dare and Remember Tomorrow are back after 12 years.
2008: Rime of the Ancient Mariner is back after 21 years, Moonchild is back after 20 years. Aces High, Powerslave, and Wasted Years are back after 9 years.
2012: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is back after 24 years, The Prisoner is back after 21 years, Afraid to Shoot Strangers is back after 14 years.

We have also had brave setlists, like the A Matter of Life and Death tour in 2006 or the first leg of The Final Frontier tour in 2010, playing mostly recently released material.

Songs like Children of the Damned and Powerslave have been mentioned because they have not been live staples for quite a long time. The last tour where Children of the Damned was played on all legs was the Somewhere on Tour in 1986/1987! Sure, Powerslave was played in 1999 and 2008/2009, but has not been played live that often compared to 2 Minutes to Midnight or even Aces High.

Could they be more adventurous? Of course they could, but the setlists we get nowadays are a blessing compared to the "5/6 new album songs, 2 songs off the previous album, the same old classics with an encore featuring Running Free and Sanctuary" that were the norm for most of the pre-reunion era. And for that I am grateful.

If they could only play Flight of Icarus again... I have seen Bruce do that when he was solo back in 1997, but it would be great to hear it played by Maiden again.

Last edited:
IIRC Maiden also played Where Eagles Dare in '93, which I suppose would have been unexpected. And let's not forget the token 5 outings of SIASL in '99

Anyway, seeing as there appears to be a whiff of 90's setlist design, here's my attempt:

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. Public Enema Number One
3. Two Minutes to Midnight
4. Die With your Boots On
5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
6. Judas be my Guide
7. The Trooper
8. Tailgunner
9. Holy Smoke
10. Wasting Love
11. The Evil that Men Do
12. Heaven Can Wait
13. No Prayer for the Dying
14. The Clairvoyant
15. Fear of the Dark
16. Iron Maiden

17. Futureal
18. Bring Your Daughter
19. Hallowed be thy Name

5) Dust-off songs that haven't been played in decades (Flight of Icarus, Purgatory, Total Eclipse, Still Life, Losfer Words, Sea of Madness, etc)
I can't see 'Flight of Icarus' being played. It'll be pretty hard for Bruce to hit the notes night after night.

I can't see 'Flight of Icarus' being played. It'll be pretty hard for Bruce to hit the notes night after night.

He certainly was nailing it when he played it as a solo artist. I know that was a while ago, but judging by how he has been belting out Children of the Damned in 2016/2017, I think he would be able to sing Flight if Icarus nowadays much better than he did in 1985.

There was an intervew with Bruce in 2013 about which songs would he like to sing again. The answers were: Revelations (reappeared in 2014), COTD and Powerslave (both reappeared in 2016/2017).
This year Nicko stated that he would like to play 22AA and SIASL again. Fingers crossed...

This year Nicko stated that he would like to play 22AA and SIASL again. Fingers crossed...
As much as I'd like to hear SIASL, I suspect Bruce has more influence over the setlist than Nicko would. I'm not really holding my breath at this stage.

As much as I'd like to hear SIASL, I suspect Bruce has more influence over the setlist than Nicko would. I'm not really holding my breath at this stage.

Indeed that Bruce has the most influence over the sets these days. But we can still hope...

Another thing... The original set before rehearsals of the TBOS 2016 tour was probably:

IESF
SOL
COTD
The Great Unknown
TRATB
Trooper
Powerslave
DOG
TBOS
HBTN
FOTD
IM
-------------------------------
TNOTB
Blood Brothers
Heaven Can Wait

TGU was switched with TOAC after Nicko asked them to play the latter. That would explain why H had his black Les Paul Custom with him on the road in 2016.
HCW was switched with WY after roadies complained about people on stage during the encores.

TGU was switched with TOAC after Nicko asked them to play the latter.

Really? I'd heard they only intended to play 5 songs off TBOS originally, but on that particular occasion Nicko was sufficiently persuasive to make it 6.
Maybe he has more influence than I'd have initially thought.

It's not hard to guess the most likely songs to return: The Evil that Men Do, Heaven Can Wait, Sanctuary, 2 Minutes, Revelations and Run to The Hills.
With lower odds, but still reasonable: Mariner, Aces High, Clairvoyant, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Wickerman, Dance of Death.
I wouldn't bet in stuff from Di'anno's era like the Ullevi setlist, neither Blaze's.

TGU was switched with TOAC after Nicko asked them to play the latter. That would explain why H had his black Les Paul Custom with him on the road in 2016.
HCW was switched with WY after roadies complained about people on stage during the encores.

Really? I'd heard they only intended to play 5 songs off TBOS originally, but on that particular occasion Nicko was sufficiently persuasive to make it 6.

Can you guys name any sources for these statements?

It's a number of things. The IMFC interview with Nicko, the Chinese set where TOAC and WY were clearly added after, the capoed black Les Paul custom...

Added after what? The Chinese setlist predates them even starting rehearsals, does include Tears of a Clown and Wasted Years, and does not include any indication they were added at the very last minute. If anything, they decided to play Poweslave instead of Brave New World and The Wicker Man...

Was the complaints to do with it being so late in the show, or were the roadies complaining about them being on stage in general, i.e could HCW return earlier in the set or is it gone for good.

Was the complaints to do with it being so late in the show, or were the roadies complaining about them being on stage in general, i.e could HCW return earlier in the set or is it gone for good.

If I remember correctly, they did complain about it on the SBIT tour and so far the song has not returned to the setlist (a good thing, as I'd much rather listen to Wasted Years!).

If I remember correctly, they did complain about it on the SBIT tour and so far the song has not returned to the setlist (a good thing, as I'd much rather listen to Wasted Years!).

I'd rather listen to Wasted Years too, but I'd also love the chance to sing the whoah-ohs, i'd rejoin the FC for that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back