Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?

I'm sure the guys just knew the story of Alexander without encyclopedias given their obvious interest in History

On side note - Wikipedia is not great source of data. But AtG is nice song, lyrics just don't do jack for me. Anyway as long as English is not my native language I can just "switch off" it and focus on melody of lyrics without understanding.

Bruce & Harris have had big arguments about this before, Steve thinks the melody is the most important part as a large part of IM fan-base are non English speakers and Bruce thinks the lyrics should come first and if people can't understand them then that's tough shit. I think this was mentioned on the AMOLAD documentary if im not mistaken

Yes it is and I agree with both of them. I think that they're both right. I love lyrics of their songs, it's just that if they're not so great I don't listen to them. But I can't imagine to listen to maiden without understainding of lyrics.

I believe Bruce said "understandably" Steve thinks the music is more important.

I'm sure the guys just knew the story of Alexander without encyclopedias given their obvious interest in History
I'm not complaining that Steve used an encyclopaedia to research the song. I'm complaining that he didn't bother to write something interesting about Alexander and his life but just lazily listed his main achievements.
There's no story or drama in the lyrics, just statements of facts:
In this year he was born. Then he did this. Then he did that. Then he died.
It's a wasted opportunity IMO.

I'm not complaining that Steve used an encyclopaedia to research the song. I'm complaining that he didn't bother to write something interesting about Alexander and his life but just lazily listed his main achievements.
There's no story or drama in the lyrics, just statements of facts:
In this year he was born. Then he did this. Then he did that. Then he died.
It's a wasted opportunity IMO.
Alexander's Life was all story & drama, I think they wrote the lyrics like this because the facts were an amazing dramatic story in themselves

Purgatory
Can I Play With Madness
Hooks In You
The Assassin
The Fallen Angel
Wildest Dreams
Journeyman
The Legacy
Isle Of Avalon
Starblind
The Red And The Black
When The River Runs Deep

most of the Fear Of The Dark album, and don't give me 90% of the Blaze era songs.

The Alchemist (I can even compare with Bruce's song)
Virtual XI minus Futureal and The Clansman
Satellite 15...
Invaders
Gangland
Quest for Fire
Hooks in You
The Assassin
Fates Warning
Look For The Truth
2 A.M.
Judgement of Heaven
The Unbeliever

Revelations
Moonchild
Mother Russia
Paschendale

From the top of my head. I go hide in the nuclear bunker now.

The Number of the Beast.

It's way too cheery and happy and an incredible letdown when that happy mainriff starts playing after an ominous vocal intro.
I never listen to this song.

Back