Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?

Iron Maiden
Back in the Village
The Duellists
Deja Vu
Alexander the Great
Can I Play with Madness
The Assassin
Bring Your Daughter...
Fear is the Key
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Chains of Misery
Weekend Warrior
Out of the Silent Planet
New Frontier
The Age of Innocence
Out of the Shadows
Sat. 15
Isle of Avalon
Tears of a Clown

Running Free
Wratchild
Invaders
The Number of the Beast
Aces High
Die With Your Boots On
Quest for Fire
Sun and Steel
Heaven Can Wait
The Assassin
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
The Apparition
The Fallen Angel
Paschendale
When the River Runs Deep
Death or Glory

:applause:

There are only two Maiden songs that I really dislike as a whole: The Angel and The Gambler and Weekend Warrior. Of course they have other weak songs, but I generally find something to like on them. E.g., Gangland, that bridge makes me go back to that song very often.

I can't believe I saw those songs here. It's really hard to please Greeks and Trojans at the same time (portuguese proverb)..

To Tame a Land
The Trooper
Phantom of the Opera
Blood Brothers
revelations
Paschendale
The Number of the Beast
Alexander the Great
Wrathchild
Aces High

I cannot, for a second, understand someone disliking Paschendale, let alone hating it. Maybe it is not a great song, a classic for everyone, but it boggles my mind. Oh well, everyone is, as always, entitled to their opinion.

I feel like @Forostar saying this, but most Iron Maiden songs, I think, have something good in them, even if the song as a whole isn't something I'd like. So here's my final list of songs I really don't abide at all.

The Apparition
Weekend Warrior
Chains of Misery
Hooks in You
Iron Maiden
Gangland
Gates of Tomorrow

I can't believe I saw those songs here. It's really hard to please Greeks and Trojans at the same time (portuguese proverb)..

To Tame a Land
The Trooper
Phantom of the Opera
Blood Brothers
revelations
Paschendale
The Number of the Beast
Alexander the Great
Wrathchild
Aces High

At least three or four of those songs are in my top 10 and most of them are in my top 20.
You realise this thread is for Maiden songs one dislikes?
Maybe I haven't fully understood your post.

At least three or four of those songs are in my top 10 and most of them are in my top 20.
You realise this thread is for Maiden songs one dislikes?
Maybe I haven't fully understood your post.

No, those are some songs I collected in this topic that people dislike (not all of them at the same time). How can a band make a perfect setlist to everybody if there are fans that don1t like musics like Aces High, The Trooper, Phantom of the Opera?

No, those are some songs I collected in this topic that people dislike (not all of them at the same time). How can a band make a perfect setlist to everybody if there are fans that don1t like musics like Aces High, The Trooper, Phantom of the Opera?

Cool, I understand it now.:)

After all the mentions here, I thought I'd go listen to The Angel And The Gambler. I hadn't listened before as I am a self professed Bruce fanboy.

And honestly, I don't get it. Yes, the chorus is repeated a bit too much but I actually kinda liked it. It's got a definite problem but I could still never rate it in the same league as The Apparition.

The Apparition

I can find something to like in basically every Iron Maiden song, even if I don't like the track as a whole. This is the only one I can honestly say that I hate.

I'm with you on this mostly. I can't say I hate it, but it's quite likely #161 on my list (post-TBOS). It does have its moments, even if they are only from about 1:48 to 2:18.

#160 thru #155 would include: Weekend Warrior, Hooks in You, From Here to Eternity, Chains of Misery, Holy Smoke and Fear Is the Key, in some order, but these are rung above The Apparition.

Can I play with madness, the chorus just annoys me so much, even if the rest is ok. Every time the intro yell comes my hand automatically reaches for the skip button. Still not unlisteneble or anything, some days it's a perfectly ok track, and I actually think there are worse tracks in my opinion (just can't remember which right now) but this one is the one that annoys me the most, by far.

Flash of the Blade
Montsegur (I could never click with it)
I actually like both these songs quite a lot, haha.

Anyway, for me, I would name the following.

Don't Look To The Eyes of a Stranger
Weekend Warrior
Chains of Misery
Twilight Zone
Hooks in You
The Assassin
Age of Innocence

I don't care for the lyrics to Quest for Fire and New Frontier, but I don't dislike the music.

I'm very surprised that gates of tomorrow hasn't had many mentions.

Sanctuary
Fears is the key
The apparition
Weekend warrior
The duelists (decent instrumental section)
Mother of mercy
Gates of tomorrow
Wildest dreams
Most of NPFTD

After all the mentions here, I thought I'd go listen to The Angel And The Gambler. I hadn't listened before as I am a self professed Bruce fanboy.

And honestly, I don't get it. Yes, the chorus is repeated a bit too much but I actually kinda liked it. It's got a definite problem but I could still never rate it in the same league as The Apparition.

I consider the hate on Angel and the Gambler just a mindless apeing mentality. Someone reads a heavily overblown comment on the song and how the chorus is repeated 40 million times and they pick up on that and repeat the mantra.
They love how they are aware of that the chorus is repeated a lot and are filled with joy to announce it to everyone that they do.
I think everybody who listened to that song the first few times did realize that the chorus was repeated a lot, but that doesn't indicate that it's a bad song. Besides it's a pretty unique song that is specifically written that way so it doesn't feel too weird that the chorus is repeated that much. It's the 'style' of the song. A very unique style. This is how I see it.

And besides all that, the melody in which the vocals are sang, verse and chorus are pleasing to hear and the backing rhytmn sounds uplifting as well. I can totally understand someone disliking the song but not when it's stated in a way like as if it may be one of the worst things humanity has ever done.

Last edited:
I consider the hate on Angel and the Gambler just a mindless apeing mentality. Someone reads a heavily overblown comment on the song and how the chorus is repeated 40 million times and they pick up on that and repeat the mantra.
They love how they are aware of that the chorus is repeated a lot and are filled with joy to announce it to everyone that they do.
I think everybody who listened to that song the first few times did realize that the chorus was repeated a lot, but that doesn't indicate that it's a bad song. Besides it's a pretty unique song that is specifically written that way so it doesn't feel too weird that the chorus is repeated that much. It's the 'style' of the song. A very unique style. This is how I see it.

And besides all that, the melody in which the vocals are sang, verse and chorus are pleasing to hear and the backing rhytmn sounds uplifting as well. I can totally understand someone disliking the song but not when it's stated in a way like as if it may be one of the worst things humanity has ever done.

I agree with you completely. Repeating a line or an entire chorus is a standard in music, so it's not necessarily a sin if one song repeats it above average. I found The Angel and the Gambler didn't go overboard, as many other songs have. Again, I can point my barrels at the "popular" music heard on the radio at work, much of which is sloppily written, and in my opinion the "worst" of IM's music still trumps it.

Perhaps I'm accustomed to repetitive music, having grown up in the church, singing in a choir and playing in an orchestra, where poorly put together hymns and worship choruses repeating the same basic phrases were sung ad infinitum. That makes me a little more forgiving to a song like TAatG. Granted, it's far from the expected Maiden material, but a half decent ride on its own.

That and I take some personal relation to most of the lyrics.

Back