IRON MAIDEN ALBUM SURVIVOR 2023: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

• The X Factor
  • Fear Of The Dark
  • Iron Maiden
  • Dance Of Death

• The X Factor
  • Fear Of The Dark
  • Iron Maiden
  • Dance Of Death
Jer, honey, comin in heavy with 4 votes, Big Time Charlie. And the debut among them. I used to respect you. No more, baby, I respect you no more xo.

For me it's only the one vote and thats Fear of the Dark.

I find these games quite hard, hence my sporadic involvement. Part of me is like "can't we all just get along? Stop making me think."

But when I do think, it's all a big mesh of 34 years of listening pleasure and I find it hard to separate. But separate I shall and I cut FOTD adrift as Maidens most lacklustre effort left in the game. And it's not without its glorious moments; Judas, Be Quick, From Here To Eternity live at Donnington, Childhoods End has its moments, the title track, the run out of ATSS, all quality.

And Sénoir Kinkyboxer, Killers, my word. You and Diesel, I just don't get it, dont get the dislike. The ferocity I hear coming from my speakers on songs like Purgatory, Genghis Khan, Wrathchild, Killers, Murders, wow, in my ears this is a band embued with hunger and magic, a special magic that was never to be seen again. Not that I think its their best but its certainly special, to me. Fillers my hole.

Maybe I've a soft spot cos when I was 6 my wrestlling entrance theme was gonna be Genghis or Transylvania. It still would be one of those now, in fairness.

Next up Fear of the Dark. And I'm not as benevolent on the topic as Cat Milk Supreme.
I just don't like listening to it at all. Once this album is gone there is no other IM album that I could say that about.

The ferocity I hear coming from my speakers on songs like Purgatory, Genghis Khan, Wrathchild, Killers, Murders, wow, in my ears this is a band embued with hunger and magic, a special magic that was never to be seen again. Not that I think its their best but its certainly special, to me. Fillers my hole.
Ferocity maybe but not refinement. It’s rough stabs covered in hi tech production, but it’s a sham job, a real sham job. When you was a kid back in the ‘80s maybe it was the hottest thing this side of the equator, but me, I can hear the entire history of music on a fuckin’ phone, so I says, fuck the ferocity and go back to the drawing board, and take your cuddles witcha. Don’t need you to hold me tight when I can listen to Powerslave all fuckin’ night. I’m votin’ Killers. Go sue me!

Iron Maiden
Killers
Piece Of Mind

POM is a great album (my ''least'' favorite of the 80's albums with Bruce), but I compared the lesser songs from the album with the same songs from the two albums above it in my ranking and I like the others better. Also, I've never been that big of a fan of some songs on it - songs that I think are very strong though.

Iron Maiden
Killers
The Number Of The Beast
The Final Frontier

Fear Of The Dark is a top 5 album, but I'm sure it's not going to survive the next two or three rounds.

I'm getting ya but somethings are just so timeless no matter how advanced the technology gets.
And Killers isn’t one of them. A lot of those NWOBHM bands disappeared after one or two albums, and Killers is the one that feels most like one of those rough NWOBHM acts that was aight but didn’t have what it took to take off. If they hadn’t started switching gears and releasing the much more epic and fiery TNOTB the next year with a way better singer, I don’t think we’d be talking about the band the same way today.

Killers is the one that feels most like one of those rough NWOBHM acts that was aight but didn’t have what it took to take off.
That's more of a personal preference my friend. Killers is not my #1 Maiden album either, don't be surprised if its not even in my top 10. Even of the two albums with Di'Anno, I like the self titled album more. Definitely with Bruce they made it more big but it is still a very influential record, all the Big 4 of Thrash have mentioned the first two Maiden albums as their influences (Dave Mustaine's favourite Maiden album is infact Killers).

Strongly agreed. I suggest checking out some NWOBHM comps or playlists on YouTube to hear what that actually sounded like. Maiden even at their weakest were always on another level. The instrumental tightness and clean tempo changes that happen throughout Killers, not to mention the classic Maiden harmonies, are all beyond what 99% of the other NWOBHM bands were working with. And yes, you can hear the impact of BOTH Di'Anno albums throughout the next two decades of Metal.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Top 17
Killers
16. No Prayer For The Dying
17. Virtual XI

Back