IRON MAIDEN ALBUM SURVIVOR 2023: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

VWXiuO7.jpg

Top 17
The X Factor
14. Fear Of The Dark
15. Killers
16. No Prayer For The Dying
17. Virtual XI

• Iron Maiden
  • Dance Of Death
  • Brave New World
  • The Final Frontier

The X Factor is the worst Maiden album, and it's not even remotely close. I can't believe it took us this long to get rid of it.

I'll vote AMOLAD next as it's my least favourite of the ones remaining.

Top 17
13. The X Factor
I would probably have voted for it next, although I like the mood, the melodies/riffs, the production, all songs, and the interesting songwriting.

Iron Maiden
The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
The Final Frontier

NOTB only because of the song with probably Maiden's weakest chorus ever. The album contains 6 amazing songs (and I like Gangland), but the other albums are really strong (with only 2 ''weak'' songs between them all) and my personal favorites. The competition is brutal and such small details make the difference now. I'm not happy to for Beast though.

Hallelujah, this mediocre turd should have gone much sooner. A bunch of people sure seem to like it, though, for reasons that completely elude me. The songwriting, production, and performances are all weak with only a small handful of exceptions.
The mood is everything for the album. You don't like Blaze's voice, but songs like Sign, Flies, Man, Judgement, Edge and Unbeliever (despite some not so good vocal parts) will never be mediocre. Even the solos, Nicko's drumming and Steve's playing are weak? Wow.
The Final Frontier > Senjutsu
TFF could have been a better album with some different decisions, parts and songwriting choices imo. It's something unique, but I believe the band that recorded SJ is a better band! Talisman, Coming Home and maybe Alchemist/Starblind are songs that can be compared to some of the SJ songs (Wild Wind not, because it has a unique songwriting approach that doesn't fit the prominent style of SJ).

songs like Sign, Flies, Man, Judgement, Edge and Unbeliever (despite some not so good vocal parts) will never be mediocre.
"Sign Of The Cross" is merely a good song, not a great one. It's an overlong, not-all-that-interesting instrumental that's elevated enough by the vocal bookends to make a stronger overall impression. "Lord Of The Flies", "Man On The Edge", and "The Edge Of Darkness" are OK at best, with the shorter rockers feeling totally anemic compared to comparable songs in the catalog, and "Edge" being brought down by a terrible vocal performance and cringe-inducing lines like "they brought it up just like room service". "Judgement Of Heaven" and "The Unbeliever" are just flat-out bad songs on the whole, with a couple of decent sections hiding inside each one. Blaze's horrible "yeah, yeah!"s in "Judgement" and that god-awful guitar tuning intro to "The Unbeliever" are already enough to cause a minor stroke when I listen to them.

Even the solos, Nicko's drumming and Steve's playing are weak? Wow.
Well, it's all relative. Nicko's drumming is certainly better on The X Factor than on Virtual XI, but that's not a very high bar. Steve's playing is good, but if it's happening in songs that are otherwise mediocre, then who cares? And yeah, the solos on The X Factor generally don't hold up to most of the rest of the catalog, but I've never been a fan of Janick's soloing style, and his approach appeared to rub off on Dave over the years.

I'll vote AMOLAD next as it's my least favourite of the ones remaining.
AMALOD is also next on my list. I respect it and acknowledge that there is some very good music on there.

However while some people cite the dark mood as the reason they like it so much, it's that same reason why it doesn't really work for me. To each their own.

Back